Galley Hinge

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Galley Hinge

Postby JohnnyG » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:11 pm

I was wondering about this galley hinge I bought last fall from The Teardrop Fix-It Shop. I'm ready to use it and it looks like it doesn't lay flat- I actually need it to be more than flat. Will it work as is? Is this normal? Thanks.
User avatar
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 102
Images: 65
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:22 pm
Location: Plymouth,Minnesota

Re: Galley Hinge

Postby toypusher » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:20 pm

JohnnyG wrote:I was wondering about this galley hinge I bought last fall from The Teardrop Fix-It Shop. I'm ready to use it and it looks like it doesn't lay flat- I actually need it to be more than flat. Will it work as is? Is this normal? Thanks.


Is this the one?
Image

How so, does it not lay flat??
User avatar
toypusher
Site Admin
 
Posts: 42831
Images: 324
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: York, PA Area

Postby JohnnyG » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:04 pm

Yeah that's the one! The bottom picture shows it laying flat. Mine doesn't quite. Will it get flatter after it's attached and screwed down?
User avatar
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 102
Images: 65
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:22 pm
Location: Plymouth,Minnesota
Top

Postby JohnnyG » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Will it be ok after installation or should it lay flatter before I start?
User avatar
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 102
Images: 65
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:22 pm
Location: Plymouth,Minnesota
Top

Postby JohnnyG » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:21 pm

Here's a picture of my hinge. Should I go ahead and use it, hoping it will rotate the other way? Thanks.
Image
User avatar
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 102
Images: 65
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:22 pm
Location: Plymouth,Minnesota
Top

Postby TPMcGinty » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:27 pm

JohnnyG wrote:Here's a picture of my hinge. Should I go ahead and use it, hoping it will rotate the other way? Thanks.
Image


I wish I could help you with your hinge question. I used Grant's "Better-Than-Hurricane" Leakproof Galley Lid Hinge and it's quite a bit diferent and looks sturdier too.

I was looking through your album and I noticed the squished trailer. How did that happen?
Tim

Image
User avatar
TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 1558
Images: 146
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:16 pm
Location: Saint Michael, MN
Top

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:34 pm

Johnny, looking at the pic, I would say you could probably use it and it should will pull into proper position...your only other alternative is a new hinge!!!!!
madjack 8)
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
most all personal problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives
User avatar
madjack
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15099
Images: 177
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:27 pm
Location: Central Louisiana
Top

Postby JohnnyG » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:38 pm

I need to update my photos. I've got my TD covered with aluminum and need to start on doors and trim etc. The squished effect happens when the local service station lets a Mac truck run over it. They were doing some minor welding for me. That set me back a tad.
User avatar
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 102
Images: 65
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:22 pm
Location: Plymouth,Minnesota
Top

Postby TPMcGinty » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:44 pm

JohnnyG wrote:I need to update my photos. I've got my TD covered with aluminum and need to start on doors and trim etc. The squished effect happens when the local service station lets a Mac truck run over it. They were doing some minor welding for me. That set me back a tad.


Ouch! I hope it didn't take long for someone to pay for a new one. It looks like the same trailer I used for my Tear, except mine was straighter! Maybe you should tell me which service station. I drive through Plymouth all the time and I don't want my finished Tear crunched! :lol:
Tim

Image
User avatar
TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 1558
Images: 146
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:16 pm
Location: Saint Michael, MN
Top

Postby JohnnyG » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:17 pm

My album is updated now.
The service station was Herbs at Co Rd 6 and 101. Very close to my house. He wasn't too helpful and even hinted that I should pay for the welding..ha ha. I told him to go ahead and get reimbursed from the same outfit that ran over my trailer. Life would be boring if it all went as planned!
User avatar
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 102
Images: 65
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:22 pm
Location: Plymouth,Minnesota
Top

Postby TPMcGinty » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:22 pm

JohnnyG wrote:My album is updated now.
The service station was Herbs at Co Rd 6 and 101. Very close to my house. He wasn't too helpful and even hinted that I should pay for the welding..ha ha. I told him to go ahead and get reimbursed from the same outfit that ran over my trailer. Life would be boring if it all went as planned!


Looking good! You should be camping in no time! I have never stopped at Herb's. I usually stick to Hwy 55 going back and forth to work.
Tim

Image
User avatar
TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 1558
Images: 146
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:16 pm
Location: Saint Michael, MN
Top

Postby JohnnyG » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:58 am

Update... Bought Grants Better than Hurricane Hinge. Oh la la is that nice!
Returned other hinge to Teardrop Fixit Shop long time ago. No promised refund yet. Bye bye $.
User avatar
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 102
Images: 65
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:22 pm
Location: Plymouth,Minnesota
Top


Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest