Galley Hinge

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Galley Hinge

Postby JohnnyG » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:11 pm

I was wondering about this galley hinge I bought last fall from The Teardrop Fix-It Shop. I'm ready to use it and it looks like it doesn't lay flat- I actually need it to be more than flat. Will it work as is? Is this normal? Thanks.
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master

Re: Galley Hinge

Postby toypusher » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:20 pm

JohnnyG wrote:I was wondering about this galley hinge I bought last fall from The Teardrop Fix-It Shop. I'm ready to use it and it looks like it doesn't lay flat- I actually need it to be more than flat. Will it work as is? Is this normal? Thanks.

Is this the one?

How so, does it not lay flat??
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyG » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:04 pm

Yeah that's the one! The bottom picture shows it laying flat. Mine doesn't quite. Will it get flatter after it's attached and screwed down?
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master

Postby JohnnyG » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Will it be ok after installation or should it lay flatter before I start?
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master

Postby JohnnyG » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:21 pm

Here's a picture of my hinge. Should I go ahead and use it, hoping it will rotate the other way? Thanks.
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master

Postby TPMcGinty » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:27 pm

JohnnyG wrote:Here's a picture of my hinge. Should I go ahead and use it, hoping it will rotate the other way? Thanks.

I wish I could help you with your hinge question. I used Grant's "Better-Than-Hurricane" Leakproof Galley Lid Hinge and it's quite a bit diferent and looks sturdier too.

I was looking through your album and I noticed the squished trailer. How did that happen?
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:34 pm

Johnny, looking at the pic, I would say you could probably use it and it should will pull into proper position...your only other alternative is a new hinge!!!!!
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyG » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:38 pm

I need to update my photos. I've got my TD covered with aluminum and need to start on doors and trim etc. The squished effect happens when the local service station lets a Mac truck run over it. They were doing some minor welding for me. That set me back a tad.
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master

Postby TPMcGinty » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:44 pm

JohnnyG wrote:I need to update my photos. I've got my TD covered with aluminum and need to start on doors and trim etc. The squished effect happens when the local service station lets a Mac truck run over it. They were doing some minor welding for me. That set me back a tad.

Ouch! I hope it didn't take long for someone to pay for a new one. It looks like the same trailer I used for my Tear, except mine was straighter! Maybe you should tell me which service station. I drive through Plymouth all the time and I don't want my finished Tear crunched! :lol:
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby JohnnyG » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:17 pm

My album is updated now.
The service station was Herbs at Co Rd 6 and 101. Very close to my house. He wasn't too helpful and even hinted that I should pay for the welding..ha ha. I told him to go ahead and get reimbursed from the same outfit that ran over my trailer. Life would be boring if it all went as planned!
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master

Postby TPMcGinty » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:22 pm

JohnnyG wrote:My album is updated now.
The service station was Herbs at Co Rd 6 and 101. Very close to my house. He wasn't too helpful and even hinted that I should pay for the welding..ha ha. I told him to go ahead and get reimbursed from the same outfit that ran over my trailer. Life would be boring if it all went as planned!

Looking good! You should be camping in no time! I have never stopped at Herb's. I usually stick to Hwy 55 going back and forth to work.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby JohnnyG » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:58 am

Update... Bought Grants Better than Hurricane Hinge. Oh la la is that nice!
Returned other hinge to Teardrop Fixit Shop long time ago. No promised refund yet. Bye bye $.
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques