Another type of water heater

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Doberman » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:03 am

Now we can bring an inflatable hot tub now that the hot water thing is solved.
Married 40 yrs., DAV-82nd Abn. Vietnam 68-69
Doberman
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:22 am

Doberman wrote:Now we can bring an inflatable hot tub now that the hot water thing is solved.

}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Galen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:17 am

I am planning on getting one of these Eccotemp hot water heaters for my build.

I have a question. We often camp without campground water. So we want to pump water to it from an electric pump and tank. And the eccotemp nees a minimum of 20 psi of water line pressure, with an optimal pressure of 40-60 psi. If it does not have at least 20 psi, it will not turn on it's burner.

So, my question is, has anyone used one of these with a water pump in their trailer? Does it seem reasonable to expect above 20 psi of water pressure from an electric pump on the tear?

Thanks for your wisdom.
Galen
Teardrop Master

Postby jmullan99 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:18 am

I too have one of these units. Mounts on the side of my TTT, and with deflector does not heat the painted wood any significant amount.

I have since added a 'Y' adapter so that it can feed the sink or shower head. The 'Y' adapter selects one or the other. Since the shower hose/head that came with the unit (as most others) is only about 6' long, I picked up a couple others from garage sales, and joined three hoses together with union type couplings. Now more than long enough to reach into the privy shower tent.

So far the unit has performed flawlessly. But as they mention in their user guide, you have to be mindful of less flow = hotter water. But I find my on-demand pump cycles too much with low flow. I will install an accumlator tank to handle that problem.

John
jmullan99
Teardrop Builder

Postby tinksdad » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:35 am

About 6 years ago, I rented a cottage in the Puna district on the Island of Hawaii for a month. Although it wasn't this particular model, the cottage did have a tankless LP on demand water heater gravity fed from a cistern. At first I was skeptical when I saw it, but it didn't take long to fall in love with the concept. After all I was in Paradise!! The cottage also had an LP stove and refrigerator. (It had electricity, but only for lights and the single ceiling fan.) The cottage had two 20 pound tanks hooked in tandem to feed all the LP appliances. They only had to be re-filled once during the month I was there. The only drawback to the unit there was that it couldn't supply enough hot water for the washer, so clothes had to be done in cold water. (No dryer.... had to line dry).

I could see how one of these would be a wonderful addition to a camping trailer. It also has me thinking about getting a home unit to help cut down those ever escalating utility bills. They are a little pricey compared to a standard hot water heater, but the savings will offset the initial price in short order.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby len19070 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:35 am

If you have electric I still like mine.

$3 at a yard sale.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: looks good

Postby clkelley564 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:58 am

doitright wrote:Would anyone know if I can use a 20 Lb. tank on my zodi shower? The shower hose is too short when set on the ground and the water pump hose is too long. If I would use a tri pod to get it off the ground I think it would work better for me and I hate to have to buy the small tanks they cost too much for the amount of fule you get. You know it is like falshlights I have to have D cell for mine AA for my wifes light and AAA for the shower light and the camper light. Oh also C cells and a 9 volt for the radio clock. I have a battery store in a bag for back ups and if I keep on going I will have every type of fule for stove, shower, lantrens, and heater.
Kevin

I mount my Zodi on a standard propane tree on my 20 lb tank.

I haven't used it as a shower yet, mainly for dishwashing, but on the top of the tree, I would imagine the hose would reach into a shower tent.

Here is a picture of my setup:

Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 ClamShell #2741
2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4.8 V8
http://mouseketab.blogspot.com/ Updated 07/12/2011

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=13203
clkelley564
Teardrop Master

Postby Eddielbs » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:15 am

Galen wrote:I am planning on getting one of these Eccotemp hot water heaters for my build.

I have a question. We often camp without campground water. So we want to pump water to it from an electric pump and tank. And the eccotemp nees a minimum of 20 psi of water line pressure, with an optimal pressure of 40-60 psi. If it does not have at least 20 psi, it will not turn on it's burner.

So, my question is, has anyone used one of these with a water pump in their trailer? Does it seem reasonable to expect above 20 psi of water pressure from an electric pump on the tear?

Thanks for your wisdom.

Thats just how I plan to use mine.. I hooked it up to a 12 volt Sureflo pump and 10 gallon tank in the tear the other day for a test run.. It worked with out a problem. I'm not sure what the pressure was but it was more than enough for the eccotemp to function correctly.
"Some Minds are like cement, A grey matter that is thoroughly mixed up and permanently set."
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby Galen » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:08 am

That is good news. Thanks for the update!
Galen
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:18 am

len19070 wrote:If you have electric I still like mine.

$3 at a yard sale.

Happy Trails

Len

Len : You got me to thinkin' and I ventured out looking for the same unit found mine at Goodwill for $3.00 also. Hot water in about 12 minutes. Thanks for the idea !!!!! Bob

P.S. I can make a whole bunch of coffee at 1 time too !!! :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby john » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:59 pm

I tried searching for one of those but I don't know what to call it. :thinking: :thinking:

I'll try good will. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:56 am

http://search.ebay.com/40-CUP-COFFEE_W0QQcatrefZC6QQdfspZ32QQfromZR41QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZQ2d1QQsaobfmtsZinsifQQssPageNameZRC0021QQ_trksidZp1638Q2em120

"40 CUP COFFEE MAKER" I found 2 in yard sales 3 weeks ago $3 and $5

passed them up ( no pocket cash ) and went back later , they were both gone.

Walked into goodwill and there was a westbend 48 cup all pretty stainless steel and black marked $ 5.99 took it to the front and it was 1/2 off on red tagged items that day so it was $2.99 plus sales tax.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets