Humidity inside the tear?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby ARKPAT » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:42 am

You might read this LINKthat might have some ideas on mosture control. I know it is for houses but the same can apply the a Tear or TTT.

You have a combination of things that are causing the problem with high humidity in your trailer. Air changes per hour. Fresh air make up. Latent ( moisture )air removal to a desired level. Volumn of space too be conditioned. People that breath and perspiration adding moisture to the confined space. Some have acheved a balance with a combination of these things. Just food for thought.
:thinking:

:thumbsup:
Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:51 am

...my suggestion would be to leave a window/vent open, to make the AC run longer and remove more humidity...a TD should never be slept in with no ventilation(outside air type) anyway....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Moisture

Postby Phil Hobby » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:25 pm

The A/C doesn't run enough to remove the moisture. If you are connected to Shore Power, run a small ceramic heater to make the A/C work harder. If not, run a 4" hose from the exhaust to back inside the cabin, to put some of the hot air back inside. This air should be dry and not add humidity to the inside. I would put a deflector so the "heat" isn't directed on anybody just adds warmth and to where it can be shut off.
Phil Hobby
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Moisture

Postby Micro469 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:34 pm

Phil Hobby wrote:The A/C doesn't run enough to remove the moisture. If you are connected to Shore Power, run a small ceramic heater to make the A/C work harder. If not, run a 4" hose from the exhaust to back inside the cabin, to put some of the hot air back inside. This air should be dry and not add humidity to the inside. I would put a deflector so the "heat" isn't directed on anybody just adds warmth and to where it can be shut off.

That would be the air conditioner exhaust.... not the car exhaust... N'est Pas????

:? :R 8)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:22 am

I too have a 5000 btu AC in my tear and have had a humidity problem in the past. I ran some tests last September here in NE Florida on a day the temps were in the 90's and the humidity was 88 %. Here is what I found and what I did to stop the problem.

All tests were run with both side windows opened just a little for fresh air. I ran 4 tests, here are the results of the first and last as I was working my way toward the desired results.

Test 1.
AC on high cool.
TD 90 degrees at start
Humidity 88%
Dew point 86 degrees

One hour later

Temp at AC set point of 70 degrees
Humidity at 85 %
dew point 65 degrees (felt really damp, some condensation on ceiling)

Last test - I restricted the air flow into the front of the AC using some 1 micron polyester filter media that slowed the air flow to about 1/3 its normal flow.

Start of test conditions same as test 1.

One hour later

Temp at AC set point of 70 degrees
Humidity at 52%
Dew point 51.5 degrees

So, slowing the flow of air over the cooling coil will remove more moisture in the air, and it seemed to me that it was just more comfortable to not have the AC blowing as much air. I made sure I didn't just block part of the cooling coil off, but restricted the flow of air over the whole face of the coil. Hope this helps someone.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:37 pm

I've been trying different things this year to keep the humidity down inside the trailer. I picked up an indoor/outdoor thermometer with humidity readings for the tests.

During my tests I found that as soon as the compressor shuts off the humidity in the trailer jumps to about 20% higher than the outside humidity. My conclusion, keep the compressor running.

What I've done is opened a 2.125" hole in the rear bulkhead right above the AC unit. Then I built a 4" by 4" by 6" air duct and taped it to the ac cold vent, that's about a half of the vent area. On the galley side I directed the cold air into the coils. So basically the compressor runs for a very long time and pulls the humidity down. A secondary plus is that the cold air cools the outside coils down a lot.

I know that this is not a "green" thing to do but it does work to stay a little more comfortable. Hope this helps.

Later,
Darren
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Re: Pet Cool

Postby Constrictor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:20 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote: my AC stopped working after one night. It is brand new but I don't have the papers on it since I bought the TD from someone who has since moved and left no forwarding address. I think there is a short in the wiring but I don't want to replace it if this is going to continue to happen.

Thanks!
Rebecca

Is it possible that appliances like AC, microwave, Refrigerator and other items cannot handle the bouncing from the trailer? i have a box trailer for my tools and it always shakes the screws out of tools.
Constrictor
Teardrop Builder

Postby john » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:55 pm

We had the same high humidity early cycle problem mentioned above. During our first muggy night an extra pillow made its' way down to the front of the A/C. The next morning we woke up cold.

the pillow had blocked the intake and lowered the efficiency of the unit. After thinking about it the next day I decided that the worst that could happen is that the evaporator (cold radiator) might get covered with ice. The evaporator never froze up.

We now keep an extra pillow just to "smother" the AC a little.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:14 am

Not sure if this has been covered, but in the very first note, the pic shows no separation for venting air. The air coming in the back vents out the side. In the pic, the air will just recirculate pulling hot vented air back into the unit.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Humidity inside teardrop

Postby Dan Hunter » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:54 am

Have you tried a Swamp cooler. It will take the humidity out of the air and use it to cool you off. That way you won't need the AC.
Dan
Ride Long Ride Safe
Dan and Terri
Dan Hunter
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Darren » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:52 am

All of the swamp coolers I've seen add humidity. But I wonder how they would work using dry ice. :thinking:
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby Arne » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:12 pm

right, swamp coolers work by evaporation. Work ok in very dry south western type climates... would be terrible in new england...

In AZ where the humidity is near zero, no problem... where the humidity is 50% or so, not going to work.

before I had the a/c, I woke up one morning with a puddle on the floor next to the mattress.... just from my breathing overnight.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets