Interior indiviual reading lights.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Interior indiviual reading lights.

Postby Arne » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:41 pm

Due to back orders, I am still awaiting my reading lights from Defender (marine supplier).....

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=177687

Does anyone have another source for similar lights? Summer is here and this is backordered till the end of June...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:06 pm

Those are the light I have sitting in the spare bedroom for the Lil Diner. How much are you willing to pay? Just kidding...

Next, I suppose you want to know where I got my lights... well, for a glass of wine, I'll tell you... ;)

Okay, Michelle just got me a glass of wine... so here's the magic link... :lol:

http://www.sailorsams.com/lights_wall_metal_incnav.htm

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:02 pm

Mike, thank you.. I'll check to see if they are in stock....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Michael W » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:57 am

We bought our 12 volt lights reading lamps from Camping World.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?deptID=4&subOf=52,23&prodID=3973

Michael W
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:45 am

Michael, those are some nice looking lights as well. I like the difuser on them.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:20 am

...arnereil, how about these, reasonably priced too boot
http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/product2024.html
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:38 am

True, the price is good, but.... not too much pazaaz, eh?

A side note: I just put an eye-bolt through the frame outside my door..... Now, the dog can go out without me getting up at 6 a.m..... I just have to watch where I walk......
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby TomS » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:28 pm

I got a two of these brass LED lights from Boatersworld.com.

http://tinyurl.com/d5g3v
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:12 pm

Those aren't too cheap, Tom! What did you do? Hit the lottery?

I don't get the whole idea of "reading" lights. I'm sure as heck not going to be READING when I'm camping. I just need two unobtrusive but cooll ights for the walls to create sufficient ambient light, perhaps with 3-way sockets so I can wratch it up to get a tan.

Now THERE'S an idea:

A mobile tanning salon made out of teardrop!

I got dibs on this name:

The Tantastic. (Think Fantastic would sue?)
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby TomS » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:15 pm

IraRat wrote:Those aren't too cheap, Tom! What did you do? Hit the lottery?

I don't get the whole idea of "reading" lights. I'm sure as heck not going to be READING when I'm camping. I just need two unobtrusive but cooll ights for the walls to create sufficient ambient light, perhaps with 3-way sockets so I can wratch it up to get a tan.

Now THERE'S an idea:

A mobile tanning salon made out of teardrop!

I got dibs on this name:

The Tantastic. (Think Fantastic would sue?)

I chose LED reading lights because they are very efficient for spot lighting applications. These LED lamps only draw .45 amps each. These were the best LED lights I could find for the money. The other lamps I looked at ost twice as much and had far fewer LEDs than these. We're not literary snobs by any means. But, we both enjoy relaxing with a good book. Our camping trips seems to be the only time when we get to do it.

Our overhead cabin lighting consists of two round flourescent fixtures mounted on either side of the fan. I had to special order them from a local RV parts dealer. They came in this afternoon. One arrived at the dealer broken. But, the second one was OK. So I took that good one one home and started working on the overhead frame and rough wiring for them tonight.

No, I didn't hit the lottery. Yes it is true that I spent a little bit more on my lighting fixtures. I did it for sound reasons. Incandescent lights are horribly inefficient. Most of the power incandescents draw is converted into heat instead of light. We perfer to camp in state parks. In the North East, most of the state parks do not provide electical hookups. By installing the most efficient lighting available I'll squeeze the maximum number of days out of a resonably sized battery. And cooler running fixtures are far less likely to start fires.

In fact, I've been gradually replacing the incandescent bulbs in my house with those comnpact flourescent bulbs in an effort to reduce our electric bills. Sorry, Mr. Edison. The incandescent light bulb is so 19th century. Now, if I could get the kids to turn off the damn TV's and computer monitors before they fall asleep, I'd be all set.

BTW - I don't need a tanning bed. I just sit out under that big bright orb in the sky.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:56 am

Since I'm just installing 2 switched side lights (no overhead), I figured I would put in something with 3-way incandescent. You're right about the heat, though.

But maybe from time to time, I'll stick some RED bulbs in there!

How romantic.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby TomS » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:05 pm

IraRat wrote:Since I'm just installing 2 switched side lights (no overhead), I figured I would put in something with 3-way incandescent. You're right about the heat, though.

How romantic.

Red light bulbs!!?? :shock:

Well, I guess that's one way to finance your teardrop project. What does the wife have to say about this little business venture of yours?
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:49 pm

TomS wrote:
IraRat wrote:Since I'm just installing 2 switched side lights (no overhead), I figured I would put in something with 3-way incandescent. You're right about the heat, though.

How romantic.

Red light bulbs!!?? :shock:

Well, I guess that's one way to finance your teardrop project. What does the wife have to say about this little business venture of yours?

Tom - I never really associated the red lights with romance, finance maybe, but I guess if she's co-operating it would be a good way to finance the trip and beer.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby IraRat » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:08 pm

Nitetimes wrote:Red light bulbs!!?? :shock:

We're getting into a dangerous yet somehow erotic area here. But in order to finance MY beer consumption, she would have to be on her back 24/7.

And Tom--you're obviously not as wholesome as you appear, even if you ARE from Worcester. You made the sexual connection there IMMEDIATELY.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Chris C » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:48 pm

Hey guys, I think you're wayyyyyyy off topic. What does all of this have to do with interior lights?
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets