Home-brew AC

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Home-brew AC

Postby donreby » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:39 pm

Just wondering if anyone has looked into adapting an old RV fridge to providing AC. As I recall, they are fairly simple systems; a heat source, an evaporator coil and cooling coil in a closed pneumonia circuit. I know capacity would be small, but I'm thinking it might be big enough for a TD or other small camper.

I'm sure there are many reasons why it won't work, otherwise someone would have produced a commercial unit. But, if it could be built and operate with reasonable efficiency and reliability, just think of the possibilities. No more land lines to run a 110 AC and maybe some weight savings.

Any thoughts on this.
donreby
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:25 pm

I have a thought. Home Depot has 5,000 btu units for 79 bucks.

Now, when I was younger, I would sometimes spend a dollars worth of effort to get 10 cents worth of results...... now the equation is pretty much reversed.

But, think about all the stuff you are talking about to cobble up something that will probably look cobbled up, make you need to wash your hands, etc... when you can just buy a neat little package and stick it in.

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Woody » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:39 pm

I have to agree with Arnereil, why spend the money, when window units are so cheap now. Why reinvent the wheel on this one. use the money for other cool stuff for your teardrop
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:19 pm

Yaa... Like bagpipes shipped clear from England. :lol:

Postby Arne » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:04 pm

Well, thanks, Dean... there goes my ADK 2005 surprise../g/..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:23 pm

Well...
When they get here, if it's just like my last time... (See Musical Instruments/Off Topic)
I'll give you a sweet deal on them, OK?
BTW- I think a first timer's bagpipe playing contest (for people that have never attempted it) at a gathering would be a hoot...

Postby donreby » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:39 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. I agree with them. My thought was to come up with a way to have AC even without electric power. Maybe someday someone will come up with a heat powered AC, like the old gas powered central air units. I haven't seen one of those in years.
donreby
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:49 pm

a/c requires a fair amount of power... best bet might be a pet kool, 2k btu's, could be run with a small generator.... but I'm pretty sure it would take a lot of battery power to run one...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:53 pm

Arne,
I talked with Kai on the phone the other day and he tells me that his PetKool works better than he had hoped for... He's really happy with it.

Postby Woody » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:05 pm

Dean,
How weather proof is the enclosure did he say? It is hard to see it in the pictures. I have been waitng for some feed back on the product from someone how has used it in a teardrop setting
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:10 pm

Woody,
I didn't really get a chance to get into a lot of details about that with him, but I'm sure we will be hearing from him soon.
He's camping his way to Minden right now.
If you're going look him up or if you know someone that is attending, have them check it out for you.

Postby Woody » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:24 pm

Thanks, Dean I don't know of anybody going to Minden other than people on the internet I chat with. I guess I will have to wait for the info to be posted like everyone else. Thanks again
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:10 pm

Dean and Woody..................I'm going, and I'm anxious to see the pet-cooler in action. I "don't do heat" very well. :cry: I've been dangerously near having heat-stroke twice in my life and sweat sitting still at 70 degrees. :shock: So camping in a tear will be reserved for the cooler months unless I can get an air-conditioner. I'd hate to waste the space all the time, but would welcome the cool air in hotter months if my need to travel required. Then when camping in cooler weather, the a/c could stay at home and not take up valuable space in the trailer. :applause: Makes a whole lot of sense to me. :thumbsup: So I'll be asking Kai a lot of questions about his. If I can find him and find out anything, I'll let you know what he says.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Arne » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:12 am

I can not recall which one (I think it was a mfgr who came forward on this group), but they use a pet kool in their tear. It was not mentioned, but it was shown in one of the pr pics and the specs were 2k btu...

I like the idea of the pet kool. Mainly because you can put it in different locations because the intake and exhaust are hosed. But, the expense and my specific location (front, over the tongue) meant pet kool was not necessary, so I went with a cheap a/c unit. And for me, it turned out really well. I did have to move the axle forward a bit for better balance, but that was pretty easy ( 4 bolts)...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:31 am

Those of you who make it to Minden will have to check out Kai's teardrop with his petcool, and report back here to the forum. :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques