Good window size???

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Good window size???

Postby The R/C Man » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:03 pm

Well I am getting ready to order the windows for the doors and wanted to get your opinions. In the pic below I have attached a piece of hardboard to show what the actual window will look like mounted in the door. The dimensions are 12"x18". The windows are only $60 each so very affordable. Let me know if it looks proportional to you and weather or not it will let in addiquate air. There is going to be a fan in the ceiling directly between the windows....... Thanks in advance!!!!

Greg

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:15 pm

Greg, it looks great proportionately. If it is like the windows in my van, the slider will allow a little less than half an opening. If you have an exhaust fan in the ceiling (exhaust was my assumption), that should draw a good amount of air into the enterior. But when it comes to ventilation, more is better than not having enough. I think you'll find the size you've chosen is pretty much in line with most of the tear builders on this site.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:18 pm

Greg,
Check with your supplier and make sure you are ordering those the right way... You say they are going to be 12" x 18".
The glazing industry is pretty much standardized as listing width first and height second... there is a small contingient of suppliers that don't follow this rule though.
By the looks of your picture, that would be an 18" x 12".
(Not trying to be anal, just trying to help)
Also... If these are going to be horizontal sliders... They are usually listed as XO. (X being the vent and O being the slider)
The term XO is viewed from the outside of the structure, so an XO would have the vent on the left side. If you want the vent on the right side, you would order an OX. (Again, just trying to help)
I'd ask them if the vent glass is situated on the inside, in which most cases it is... That way you could put an OX on the street side and an XO on the curb side and get a little bit better weather protection with the glass overlap in terms of direstion of travel.

Postby The R/C Man » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:01 am

Thanks Guys Great Info!
I am planning to get them from Redneck-trailer. Here is the link...

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/2004/H/P ... 0-H-11.pdf

For about $7 more each I can get the 15"x24" and flip them on end so the windows open up. They said that the slides a pretty tight and they will hold fine..... Hmmmm....
Greg

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:30 am

...RC, I have the same windows in the 15x24 size they will be mounted horizontally as they were meant to be, if you check out steve h 's build I believe he has the 15x24,s mounted vertically. Either way should work just fine
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:15 am

Sliders are asthetically appealing, but I've been in rain storms where I would have had to close them.... I actually bought and had delivered sliders from jcWhitney and sent them back and got awing windows instead.

In the dream vs. reality equation, I had to go with reality on this one.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby SteveH » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:11 am

if you check out steve h 's build I believe he has the 15x24,s mounted vertically. Either way should work just fine

MadJack is right, I mounted mine vertically to get more air flow lower in the trailer. My idea was that it would keep you cooler at night in bed and so far has worked out OK.

I would mention, however, I learned if you turn the windows oriented oposite from how they were intended to be installed, you will have to drill more weep holes in the bottom of the frames to keep them from leaking water into the trailer. :oops:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby brickz » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:30 am

I second Steve H's opinion on weep holes. Mine are in vertically as that's the way the weep hole was oriented. If I wanted to turn them 90 degrees (got from salvage yard so didn't have choice), I would have to caulk up factory gap and make a new one at bottom edge. Hope that makes sense.
brickz
"A single accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions" - Admiral Grace Hopper
brickz
Donating Member

Postby The R/C Man » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:19 pm

Thanks Eveyone!

After some discusion with the boss (aka wife, aka old lady) I ended up ordering the 18"x12" from Redneck-trailer. We figured with the fan there should be plenty of circulation and the smaller window will allow more privacy..... :R
Greg

The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:22 pm

For privacy you just have to line your curtains with aluminum foil...

I don't know how that's going to help you in the sound proofing department... :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:16 pm

mikeschn wrote:For privacy you just have to line your curtains with aluminum foil...

I don't know how that's going to help you in the sound proofing department... :lol:

Mike...

Hey, guys have been talking about mattresses and bedding on this board, guess we can talk about curtains too. :lol:

At Spamboree 5 last year, I asked Karen Abbey, [email protected]., to pick out a decent pair of dish towels, add an embroidery of my tear and I attached them with Velcro.

Simple and they work very well. Once she has the embroidery piece set up she can add it to any thing fabric that you want. I have mine on a fleece jacket also.
You wife might make a better selection than I have but they work.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:51 am

COOL!!! A BEER HOLDER!!!
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby dmb90260 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:33 am

IraRat wrote:COOL!!! A BEER HOLDER!!!

Available at you local marine supply store. :)
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques