What Are The Best Tent Stakes?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Platbiker » Tue May 13, 2008 6:28 pm

I have a duffle bag that I take on all family camping trips in which the two most important Items are stakes and cordage- I like to have a couple of all types of tent stakes- the small aluminum skewer types,a few big steel spikes and the plastic units and some wood pegs... and often even those don't fit the conditions...I often tie off to rocks or trees or even grass or bushes...I guess my theory is to TRY to be prepared...but be flexible...
Platbiker
Teardrop Builder

Postby caseydog » Tue May 13, 2008 7:00 pm

dwgriff1 wrote:I camp on hard ground, no beach, and prefer to use long fencing nails. I find them in the farm supply stores and Lowe's. They can be 8 or 9 long.

Some are galvanized, but I don't think that is necessary.

The same nails are sold at some outdoor stores, renamed as tent stakes and priced accordingly.

dave

I second that. They are cheap, and good for pounding into the kind of ground we have in Texas.

I have also used small stuff sacks filled with rocks as anchors when I can't use stakes, such as on concrete pads. You keep the sacks empty in your gear box, and fill them with rocks you find on site.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Platbiker » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:28 pm

...oh, and regarding beach/sand- "Deadmen" Rule!-fill a bag with sand (... 1/2 pounds?..more or less...) , tie on the guyline and bury the bag- it sounds more complicated than it is - and though we haven't beaches around here, we live in the desert so there is plenty of sand....
Platbiker
Teardrop Builder

Postby jhjspecks » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:03 am

something that works very well is re-bar at about 8-12 inches with a bent or curved top. you can use a cutting torch (low heat) to bend the neck over and then just cut your bottom at and angle for easy staking.
jhjspecks
Teardrop Builder

Postby ArtMini » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:27 pm

I've used those many times and liked them, bigger than a typical tent stake and less likely to break. Never had a problem on any surface.

Art

PresTx82 wrote:Every camper has had tent stakes that have broken, bent or just won't go into the ground that they're being hammered into. I purchase extra tent stakes at Wally World, Bass Pro or similiar outdoor outlets that look like this:

These spikes are heavy duty and can be pretty handy if your traditional tent stakes break, etc. We've all seen the yellow ones, the little thin tent stakes that pull up out of the ground easily, but these are always good to have extra in your camping supplies.
HAVE FUN STORMING THE CASTLE!!!!
ArtMini
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tinksdad » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:54 am

I get mine at the big orange box store. Gutter spikes with a fender washer slipped over the shank. If they have them, I prefer the steel over the aluminum.

Carry them in a big Crown Royal velvet bag.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby critter » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:33 am

Hey Guys,
Ya'll are missing the boat on the tent stake thing,all you have to do is ask the experts what is the best.The us millitary spent hundred of thousands resarching tent stakes and you can buy em at any army navy store for 2 bucks.They are the alunimun angle iorn kinda thing and will work just about anywhere.They move whole citys of tents almost daily so you cant buy better at wally world or they would buy em ther too! :D
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby PanelDeland » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:45 am

I like the big nails sold at the OBS.I have access to a welder and usually weld washers to thenm sothe rope doesn't have to be looped around the stake so tight(makes breaking down stuff easier.I also carry along a crowbar to pull when in hard stuff.It also doubles as a rod over the firepit for hanging cooking pots.I am building y stakes a couple feet long for supports that will fit in the bag with the tent stakes and crowbar.And as soon as I make a new pair of cutoffs I will have a denim bag(thanks for the idea).
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby PresTx82 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:47 pm

Feel free to take a couple pictures of your homemade stakes and post them for the forum members. We can always use new ideas to incorporate into our camping lives.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:51 pm

PresTx82 wrote:Every camper has had tent stakes that have broken, bent or just won't go into the ground that they're being hammered into. I purchase extra tent stakes at Wally World, Bass Pro or similiar outdoor outlets that look like this:

These spikes are heavy duty and can be pretty handy if your traditional tent stakes break, etc. We've all seen the yellow ones, the little thin tent stakes that pull up out of the ground easily, but these are always good to have extra in your camping supplies.

We use the same since most camp ground areas are firmly compacted. Broke several of them yellow ones then switched and happy ever since
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby devigata » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:05 pm

critter wrote:Hey Guys,
Ya'll are missing the boat on the tent stake thing,all you have to do is ask the experts what is the best.The us millitary spent hundred of thousands resarching tent stakes and you can buy em at any army navy store for 2 bucks.They are the alunimun angle iorn kinda thing and will work just about anywhere.They move whole citys of tents almost daily so you cant buy better at wally world or they would buy em ther too! :D

Couldn't agree more. $1.49 galvanized steel, 12" long. We camp in Florida and they hold in the sand, but are not wind-tested beachside.

There's one in my album, but it's too big to post (and I haven't learned how to re-size yet).

Cathy
devigata
Donating Member

Postby jdarkoregon » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:18 am

Giant Nails from your local lumber store, or you could use these snow anchors for really soft sand, http://www.backcountry.com/store/DMM0013/DMM-Anodized-Deadman-Snow-Anchor.html But Sonetpro's idea is as good as any and cheap

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:15 am

devigata wrote:
Couldn't agree more. $1.49 galvanized steel, 12" long. We camp in Florida and they hold in the sand, but are not wind-tested beachside.

There's one in my album, but it's too big to post (and I haven't learned how to re-size yet).

Cathy

Those are fine as long as you don't get into any really hard soil with them. I've folded so many of them in half I quit buying them. The part where they are pinched together at the top can't take a lot of pounding.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby razorback » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:28 pm

For my EZ Up I take four five gallon buckets. I fill them with water and have about 40 lbs per corner. Many camp sites have asphalt or concrete pads and many times one or more corners rest on these surfaces. Just dump water when your ready to go home.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby starleen2 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:55 pm

razorback wrote:For my EZ Up I take four five gallon buckets. I fill them with water and have about 40 lbs per corner. Many camp sites have asphalt or concrete pads and many times one or more corners rest on these surfaces. Just dump water when your ready to go home.
Larry

How do you secure the legs to the bucket? do you have any pics of this type of set up? just curious
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets