Billy's Big Adventure

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Billy's Big Adventure

Postby Bill P » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:52 pm

I have some time on my hands (laid-off) and decided to spend the next few months travelling around in my Little Guy. I spent the first two weeks of August visiting the KS State Parks. I have stayed at most of them for at least one night. If anyone wants a review of an individual park, I'm your source.

I am planning to go to Crawford and Two Timbers SPs this coming week (I'm at Clinton SP this weekend). I haven't hit the parks out in far Western KS yet. I'll check them out later this month as I plan to drift up to the NPs in SD; Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, and Wind Cave after Labor Day.

So far I've spent 14 consecutive days in my TD. I am getting very used to it and after the first few days I have it down to a routine. I bought an annual KS camping pass; I can stay at any primitive (tent) site for free a any KS State Park.

No real problems yet. Someone did back into me at a Wal-Mart and put a real nice dent in my truck (hit and run, no note, c'est la vie). I'll have it de-dented eventually.

One thing however; during the week there is often no one else at the primitive sites. It get's pretty darn spooky at night all by your lonesome. For example; I arrived at Kanopolis SP near Great Bend on a rainy Wednesday night last week about 7:30 PM and literally did not see another human being from the time I entered the park until I left the next morning. So, in the future, I am planning to stay with the fifth wheels and trailers in the electric sites. I'll need to cough up an extra few $$ to be near people. However, I'll feel safer and I like having my little MW and electric coffee maker.

My short-term plans are to hit the NPs in SD and then to drift over to Colorado for Pam's Last Gasp in late September. I'm not sure what I'll do after that but I'm sure I'll start slowly working my way South to LCG.

I am really trying to see how long I can stay in this thing.

I'm not much of a picture taker but I'll post interesting photos as I find them.

See y'all on the road.

Bill

Bill
"Life is hard trooper. It's even harder if you're stupid"...Captain York"

Bill P
Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:10 am

Congratulations Bill

Well maybe it's condolence on the layoff. But I sure wish that Trudy and I could be doing what your doing. It would be cool if you'd could write something like a travel log and camping guide of all the state parks you stay at. Sort which parks were the prettiest which had good johns which didn't kinda thing.

We took 2 10day trips spring of 07 when we both were out of work and it was great. Have a blast while you can.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:25 am

:o Sorry about the lay off. Some days I wish Mike could get that much time off and we could get out. I guess with the two of us it isn't so spooky. I am used to fishing with no one around all day. 8)

Crawford is great even if you are the only one around. They have tent sites that are close to the facilities but are not primative. Also the electric sites are pretty nice. Should be quiet this time of year. There are also people working most days and they are taking a survey. Not much chance he will miss you if you are fishing.

Have fun. Wish we could get away during the week. :(
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby pete.wilson » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:54 am

Hey

Bill Writes: "One thing however; during the week there is often no one else at the primitive sites. It get's pretty darn spooky at night all by your lonesome. "

Maybe I could round up Satch and a couple of bigfoot suits and have some fun the next time by yourself. HEHEHE

Pete Wilson

P.S. You have got to see the Black Hills of S.D. if you haven't before, beautiful area.
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby lwbittle » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:16 am

Sounds like a plan.... While you are on your adventure, be sure to take in Mount Sunflower, the highest point in Kansas. Oxygen is probably not a requirement, however.

There are not a lot of campgrounds but the Gypsum Hills area in rather interesting along highway 160, west of Medicine Lodge through Barber county. There used to be a very large natural bridge near Sun City, but the owner destroyed it with explosives because of the projected liability of the numerous visitors. What a shame.

When you visit Elk City State Park be sure to take in the nice trail from the State Park to the overlook. About two miles of fairly rugged trail along beautiful rocks and trees following just below the sheer bluffs of the ridge.

We have hiked this many times and enjoyed the scenery and wildlife along the trail. It is better in the fall as the hike is fairly strenuous and heavily wooded that cuts off most of the breezes. The fall colors also add much to the beauty of the hike.

"Two of the six hiking trails located at Elk City Reservoir are noted for being the first trails in the state of Kansas to receive the National Trails designation. The scenic Elk River Hiking Trail comprises fifteen miles from the west edge of the dam to the bridge on Elk River."
http://www.traveltotourism.com/travel/l ... =KS06lk002
Nothing is ever simple.....
lwbittle
Teardrop Builder

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:41 am

Travel safe, Bill !!!! If possible, while you're in the Parsons, KS area check out Big Hill lake and the Mound Valley (?) campground and see what ya think. I was wondering about that for a mid Sept OK/KS/MO gathering..

After you leave Colo. and if you're coming south-ish... see about Palo Duro Canyon over near Amarillo and /or Boiling Springs S.P. near Woodward OK . then come see me in OKC !!! We can go camping somewhere near here or at least have a good steak down at the Stockyards!

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Bill P » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:16 pm

I am still at Clinton today. About noon, I heard a car stop and someone called my name. What the?? Turned out to be Darren (Victor Star) He had no idea I was here and he was driving thru to decide if he should go camping over Saturday as it was such a nice day. Spent a pleasant afternoon BSing with him.

Gary, I will write a overview of the parks I have visited so far later this week. The do vary as far as amenities go. So far my absolute favorite has been Eisenhower SP on Melvern Lake. I didn't stay in the Electric sites but the tent sites were outstanding and the facilities were generally pretty good.

Pete, I swear Bigfoot was outside my TD at 2:00 AM in Kanopolis. Either him or a raccoon with very bad asthma.

BTW, my Sprint aircard works pretty good here at Clinton. Then again, it's only five miles from Lawrence KS. We'll see how well it does at Crawford SP tomorrow.

I do plan to hit Elk City. One of my favorite Websites is devoted to "The Assault on Mt Sunflower: Into Thick Air".

Jewel, if I get anywhere near OKC, I'll check in with you.

I hope to see y'all down at LCG

Bill

Bill P
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:02 am

Bill, this sounds like a pretty cool way to finish the summer :thumbsup: ...glad to hear you are keeping a journal, I think they really help bring a trip back into focus...see ya in Oct :yes:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:44 am

:thumbsup: Bill your Sprint will work sporadically at Crawford. We got the best signal by the swimming area but your card might pick up better than my phone. Enjoy the lake and let me know if the fish are biting. 8)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Darren » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:46 pm

Good seeing you again Bill. The camping was great also.
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby Bill P » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:02 pm

It's odd, my Sprint phone is spotty, however, my Aircrad works pretty well.

What a nice park. It's beautiful.

Bill

Bill P
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:13 pm

Bill P wrote:It's odd, my Sprint phone is spotty, however, my Aircrad works pretty well.

What a nice park. It's beautiful.

Bill
+

:lol: I wondered about that. Which campground are you in?

Never mind I saw the pictures. My catfish hole. 8) :lol: :thumbsup:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to North Central