Weekender II

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:40 pm

Wow, you wern't kidding when you said you had finalized your design!!! You're not wasting any time either!!! Hmmm, lets see... it's August. Winter is just around the corner. Better get some more sawdust flying... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby starleen2 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:57 pm

Texas winter doesn't start till late october almost november - if that! :shock:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby james worley » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:24 pm

Scott!! I"ve got a question,when you build a house you just prime and paint the exterior wood,and it stays outside 24/7.So i'm wondering why everyone seals with an epoxy or fiberglass resin?Thanks for any input

:thinking:
james worley
Teardrop Master

Postby Mauleskinner » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Because everybody who doesn't repaint their house frequently enough has rotten window frames? (don't ask me how I know :cry: )
Mauleskinner
The 300 Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:37 pm

James,
The last two I just sanded, primed, and painted with a good exterior gloss enamel home paint. Both held up pretty good. However, this time I want to seal everything and have a very smooth finish on the side – a spray finish versus the roller finish. Also I had a seam that needed some extra reinforcement, so I glassed it to make it disappear (not good at scarf joints). And with 3/8 ply – you can’t sand too much away, so the resin acts like a leveler. James, do you know of an alum. supplier near? Wanting to skin the roof with Alum instead of the heavy galvanized. It looks like I’ll meet the 1000 lb weight and LCG III ;) :worship: ;)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby james worley » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Thats pretty much what i thout.Scott i do not know of any alum supplyers around here.I'm yousing FRP for my roof.Alum little to much for me.
james worley
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:21 pm

James, when are we gonna get another peek at what you're building - gonna be in Lufkin In september - 13 to be exact -or sooner when the little one is in school - would lobve to stop by for a preview (PM for contact details if that's OK)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby james worley » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:36 pm

Scott,i have more pictures ready to share just have to install.I have a friend to help. I'm not very comp litt.I will PM you.
james worley
Teardrop Master

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:06 pm

starleen2 wrote:
Mstro wrote:That's a really nice design \, hope you get it built. :thumbsup: Is, that a refrigerator next to the bed? :thinking:

Yes, it's a fridgaire

Total Capacity 4.4 Cubic Feet Total Capacity
Fresh Food Capacity 3.1 Cubic Feet Fresh Food Capacity
Freezer Capacity 1.3 Cubic Feet Frozen Food Capacity
Defrost Type Frost Free
Dimensions 19.3(w) X 34.1(h) X 22.5(d)

Really keeps stuff cold and the freezer works better than any one of those sub compact models JMHO!

Your design looks great, Scott! :applause: Question, though. What are you going to do to balance the weight of that Frigidaire? Looks like your trailer might sag a bit on the right? :thinking:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:18 pm

It’s never been a problem of balance. In a previous design the refrigerator sat on one side without a counter balance on the other. This design is two feet longer (1 foot added to both ends with the axel placement remaining the same) and the fridge is about the same distance to the axel. If drifting becomes a problem due the fridge’s placement, I can always load luggage and other gear to the opposite side while towing.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:15 am

:thumbsup: :applause: It is a beautiful design. I wish I had done fiberglass. People don't realize that these little things get towed and are subject to more wind/rain/sand than a house. Every little thing helps.

How tall is your bed placement? I am thinking about raising mine so someone can sleep under it.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby starleen2 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Miriam C. wrote: How tall is your bed placement? I am thinking about raising mine so someone can sleep under it.

About 13 1/2 -14 inches finshed from the floor. Thats just in case we had another guest of our daughter's in the trailer. They could sleep on the floor in sleeping bags with their feet under the bed
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:06 am

After a few day of doing nothing but work - and not the camper - today was a day to do a mock up. Will do the wheel well cut outs when the floor is done and on the trailer
Here is a shot of the girls for comparison
Rear view – haven’t decided yet on a rear window
Door side
Front view – with out cutout for Air conditioner unit
Now back to more sanding and filling cracks and holes!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby planovet » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:16 am

starleen2 wrote:Wanting to skin the roof with Alum instead of the heavy galvanized.

Have you considered using EPDM for the roof??

http://www.flatroofsolutions.com/40mil-White-on-Black-EPDM-price.php
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:18 am

I like mockups!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals