battery charger/converter

Anything electric, AC or DC

battery charger/converter

Postby rhltechie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi All,

I am still pretty confused about the whole charger/converter thing. I do plan on making it so that I can connect to shore power. In most TD is this also charging the battery while this connection is made? Is this piece of equipment charging the battery along with converting the power for 12v use? Does someone have a link to the equipment they used for this?

TIA,

R
rhltechie
The 300 Club

Postby joecnc2006 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:45 pm

I will be using a seperate A/c system and D/c system (2-12v marine batteries wired parallel to maintain 12v system and increase amp hrs), however on the A/c system side i will use a Onboard marine battery charger/maintainer, it is different from a regular battery charger, it actually is maint. for your deep cell batteries, they will last allot longer using a maintainer. I have this is my bass boat, when i get home i just plug it in and forget about it. the maintainer only kicks on when the battery needs charging and maintains a constant 13.1V +/- depending on your battery of course.

Joe
joecnc2006
Donating Member

Postby mechmagcn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:13 pm

I recommend a RV power converter. The one I'm using contains the AC and DC distribution panels in one unit, here's a link
http://www.bestconverter.com/6730-30-Amp-Power-Center_p_90-135.html
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby Alphacarina » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:13 pm

Many RV 'converters' aren't very good for your battery - They aren't computerized, 3 stage chargers and they will either undercharge the battery or slowly boil all of the electrolyte out of it. They were designed primarily to replace the battery and make all of your 12 volt accessories operate off of the 120 volt power . . . . which is why they're called 'converters' and not 'chargers' - Most RV's don't use their batteries much as they are plugged in 99% of the time they're being used

This doesn't apply to all of them, but a true 3 stage 'converter' would be pretty expensive ($150 to $200 or more, depending on capacity) and also pretty heavy (again, depending on capacity) as compared to a small, inexpensive, lightweight 3 stage computer charger which can be had for $50 or less, again depending on capacity

If you camp a lot and use your battery regularly, then something which is a true 3 stage charger would be a must . . . . unless your uncle owns a bettery distributorship and you can get a new one for free every year ;)

You really only need a 10 or 15 amp capacity as that will take very good care of your battery any time you're plugged in

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby wlooper89 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:51 pm

I am also using a converter from BestConverter. It is the WFCO 8725, a three stage converter costing a little over $100. It puts out 25 amps DC. It may be larger than necessary but works fine, does not overcharge the battery and can power the lights in the trailer and charge the battery at the same time.

Bill
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby rhltechie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:54 pm

i feel completely ignorant right now. :thinking: i am still a little confused about what most TDers do for charging and/or using their electrical system when shore power is available.

if a converter is used at what point is it wired?
rhltechie
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:11 pm

Try doing a search here for Deltran.

Thanks for the picture Tonyj

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mechmagcn » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:12 pm

rhltechie wrote:i feel completely ignorant right now. :thinking: i am still a little confused about what most TDers do for charging and/or using their electrical system when shore power is available.

If using the one that I linked to or the one mentioned by Wlooper89, this would be the starting point of your electrical system, AC and DC. They both contain the fuses for the DC circuits and circuit breakers for the AC circuits.
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby Lucky489 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:14 pm

rhltechie wrote:i feel completely ignorant right now. :thinking: i am still a little confused about what most TDers do for charging and/or using their electrical system when shore power is available.

There really is alot of information in the stickies up above.

Lucky489
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dean_A » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:16 pm

If all you're looking for is something to keep your battery topped off before trips, and maybe charge it up mid-trip if it gets low, I'd go with the Deltran Battery Tender Plus.
http://www.batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11_2
These are pretty highly recommended on this forum.
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby rhltechie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:20 pm

this is all very good info...thank you. I think where my confusion comes into play is when connected to shorepower how is the 120v converted for my 12v if i am only using a battery charger.
rhltechie
The 300 Club

Postby mechmagcn » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:26 pm

rhltechie wrote:this is all very good info...thank you. I think where my confusion comes into play is when connected to shorepower how is the 120v converted for my 12v if i am only using a battery charger.

The battery takes care of the 12V and the charger keeps it charged.
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby Dean_A » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:30 pm

mechmagcn wrote:
rhltechie wrote:this is all very good info...thank you. I think where my confusion comes into play is when connected to shorepower how is the 120v converted for my 12v if i am only using a battery charger.

The battery takes care of the 12V and the charger keeps it charged.

What he said! :thumbsup:
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby rhltechie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:31 pm

oohhhhh..ok mechmagcn...i think my little bulb is starting to flicker a little! so the shore power comes in...it has your normal 120 outlet..the charger plugs into the outlet and then runs to your battery? your battery in turn running back to your fuse block which in turn goes out to your lights and etc...is this correct?
rhltechie
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:32 pm

Jeff's way is one way to do it...

Another way is to have a separate power supply, and put in a double pole double throw switch to change circuits...

Down when you have access to AC... up when you don't...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets