Galley Hinge

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Galley Hinge

Postby gerry boucher » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:07 pm

Hi,
I was building my hatch today and had a couple of questions.
Which way does the hinge from Grant go on? There is a side with lined chanel and holes and the other side has the holes under on the side.
Which way does it go?

Does the luan go on under or over the hinge?

Does the hinge need any type of waterproof like rubber tube under it or something?
Thanks
Gerry
gerry boucher
Teardrop Master

Postby WoodSmith » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:41 pm

I havn't built a Tear (yet) but if you go herehttp://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=319&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=galley+hinge+backwards and read through the posts you should find all the info you need.

Net, mount it so the open side of the C faces backwards so the weather does not get forced into the hinge.
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby Geron » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:44 pm

Since no one's answered yet I'll give it a shot.

If the hinge is like mine, you have one piece that slides inside the other piece. The piece that slides inside goes on the hatch side with the open side of the top piece facing the hatch. Thus, the water flows over the solid side of the hinge. If you get it backwards the open side of the top piece will be facing the water flow and flooding is most likely. Did that make any sense a'tall???

From pics it appears most put the hinge on top of the skin. If possible note again the water flow. Thus the cabin side would go under the skin and the hatch side would go on top of the skin. That is if the slight offset of the thickness of the aluminum doesn't cause the hinge to bind or throw off the fit of the hatch to the galley.

I have no idea what I just said.

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:47 pm

...the "channel" side goes on the tear, the flat on the galley, put it all on top of skin and use a sealant (EBS, sikaflex, ect.)under the hinge on the tear side
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:03 am

Check my album, I've got a shot of the side profile on what I did with my hinge. the aft end of the hinge acts like a shingle on a roof. Mine is a little different in that I trimmed mine out to be a Woody and the trim isn't on in the picture, that's why the gap...Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Boodro » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:01 pm

I will say defenitly to put a sealer of some type under the hinge part on the tear side , as I took my TD out this weekend & forgot to seal it . It RAINED & boy did the water come into the galley! So being the prepared sort , I used a handy dandy roll of DUCT TAPE & it worked till I got home , 150 miles later. Good luck
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques