Old Boy Scout Trick

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Old Boy Scout Trick

Postby Len » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:03 am

If you ever have to cook over an open fire using a Pot or frying pan. As we did to boil corn at a TearJerkers trip. Take dishwashing soap and coat the outside of the pot/pan. Clean-up is really easy with just a rag (no Brillo, SOS at all) You burn the soap, not the pot.:thumbsup: .

Happy Trails

Len
Len

Postby SteveH » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:05 am

Len,

Now that you brought it up, I remember that. The soap gets black, but it just washes right off.

Another thing I remember about scout camping is cooking food buried in the coals in a coverd pit. Can't remember the name we had for it, but first you dig a hole about a foot or two deep, build a fire in it and wait until it burns down to coals, wrap your food in aluminum foil with all the seasoning, followed by a wrap of wet burlap, and bound up with wire, and then put the bundles on top of the coals, and cover the whole thing up with dirt. We did beef roast and all sorts of vegtables that way.

Anyway, in a few hours we'd dig it up, and the food was always great.

Does anyone remember the name for this?
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:43 am

I don't remember the name, but we used to make a roast in the coals when I was in the scouts.

Started with a cheap piece of meat, I don't remember what it was called, but it was about the size of a plate, and about 1 1/2 inches thick. Put it on a paper plate so we could handle it, and covered the top with a layer of yellow mustard, maybe 1/4 inch thick, the covered that with table salt, about 1/4 to 1/2 thick. Put another paper plate on top and flip it over.

Remove the plate that was on the bottom and put the same amount of mustard and salt on this side. Carefully slide the whole mess off the plate and onto the hot coals, and cover the top with coals.

I don't remember how long we cooked it, but after you dug it out of the coals, you scraped off the mustard and salt "crust" and had the tenderest piece of roast ever!

It did not pick up the salt and mustard taste, they just formed a crust to lock in the juices and make the meat tender.

I haven't made one of these in 30 years, but just thinking about it makes me want to put it on my "to do" list for one of my next camping trips.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby len19070 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:04 pm

A variation of the "Buried cooking Method" was shown to me by a girl who put a fist sized rock in the Friday night Camp fire. At the end of the night she took the rock out, wrapped it in tinfoil and stuffed it into a Chicken. wrapped the chicken in tinfoil, then in some towels and put it into a Playmate cooler. 5 o'clock the next day...Dinner was ready.

Len Daddona
Troup #355
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Boodro » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:44 pm

I remember cooking in the ground with a dutch oven . We dug a hole , built a fire , burned dwon to a good bed of coals then put a roast it the dutch oven & buried it in the fire & a few hours later DINNER! Also we took a big onion ,cut in half , removed most of the inside of the onion , crack an egg into the bowl of the onion that was left & wrapped it in tin foil & laid it in the fire to cook . Great onion flavored egg! :lol:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:47 pm

The only Boy Scout trick I remember is using a blue dart to start the fire.
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Corn on the Cob

Postby OkieSailor » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:28 am

Take fresh corn on the cob. Strip back shuck and clean off silk and any critters. Smear on butter and salt to taste. Put shuck back around the corn and tie with string. Take wet clay and make a 1/2 thick layer around corn and put in bed of coals, cover with more live coals. When clay is baked and about to break up, remove from coals, remove clay, peel back shuck and use as handle. Don't burn you lips and make extra for a snack later. Just leave clay on until ready to eat. Make sure to remove any critters, they are hard to eat around and look nasty! :D
Yes OkieSailor is an Oxymoron!!
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby roadtrippin » Sun May 01, 2005 11:38 pm

Well seeing as how I was never a boyscout, I don't have too many tips. But I think the term my mom used for the cooking in foil stuffed into the coals was hobos.
roadtrippin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 40deluxecoupe » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:02 pm

The New Zealand Maoris call this cooking a Hungi(spelling?). In my younger days I went to a few of these around my city. They ALL had 3 things in common:
1 Sand in the food.
2 Lots of beer.
3 A punch up or fistfight, at the end of the night, no exceptions.

Dont care if I never go to another.
40deluxecoupe
Donating Member

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:18 am

We call it tin foil dinners. And we love them.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DestinDave » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:07 pm

Have done several seafood meals like that... Build a fire in a pit in the sand and when the coals have died down, put a layer of seaweed, a layer of crabs, clams, oysters, lobster, whatever, then another layer of seaweed, then cover with sand. It's cooking while swimming and sunning and beering, etc. Like the Old Milwaukee commercial - it don't get no better'n this!
Dang - now I'm hungry. And homesick!
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby TomS » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:35 am

Here's an old Boy Scout trick you won't find in the Scout's handbook. When the new kid complains because he's getting smoke in his eyes, send him off to the other patrols to borrow a smoke shifter. If you're lucky, he'll visit a dozen or more campsites before some scoutmaster takes the young lad him aside and kindly informs him that there is no-such thing. We were such rotten kids.

Seriously, my old scoutmaster passed away this week. He was a great guy and touched a lot of lives.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby LET-CA » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:01 pm

TomS wrote:Here's an old Boy Scout trick you won't find in the Scout's handbook. When the new kid complains because he's getting smoke in his eyes, send him off to the other patrols to borrow a smoke shifter. If you're lucky, he'll visit a dozen or more campsites before some scoutmaster takes the young lad him aside and kindly informs him that there is no-such thing. We were such rotten kids.

Don't forget the required 25 feet of coastline to string it up with. . .
LET-CA
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SteveH » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:55 pm

Or....the sky hook to hang it form, or....the left handed monkey wrench to install it with! :lol:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Woody » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:34 pm

You send them for a adjustable, left handed, metric cresent wrench :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets