My wiring plans

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby sportsta05 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:55 pm

Thanks Bill!

Any info will definately help. Im not building a tear drop, Im actually renovating an old camper trailer and turning it into an 18ft toyhauler/cargo trailer. I need a versatile trailer that I can enjoy when I want to go camping and load up all my belongings if Uncle Sam decides to move me. It is my first project and a rather big one at that. Once I make my final decisions on all my wiring I can begin constuction on my very unique layout (atleast i think its one of a kind).

Kyle
sportsta05
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KayakNKamper » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:47 pm

Bill,
I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything, but when I saw this picture I thought I had better say something.

I'm wondering about you having a propane tank in an enclosed compartment will all of those electronics. If the tank valve is not closed all the way and leaks into the compartment isn't that an explosion waiting to happen? Am I off base here, or does that seem a little dangerous?

Just trying to keep you safe.

Dale
KayakNKamper
Teardrop Builder

Postby wlooper89 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:54 pm

Dale, thank you very much for your concern. Initially I transported the propane tank in the electrical compartment, thinking it would be OK because I removed the tank to picnic table for use. But after two other forum members commented on the safety aspect I went to the tank manufacturer web site and learned that the tank can give off gas even with the valve closed when higher temperature causes an over pressure relief valve to open.

I was beginning to wonder how big a fireball 11 lbs. of propane would make :o :shock: and at the same time thinking about where to put some other electrical components. :thinking:

The end result is shown in this photo, with a small meter panel and battery charging relay in the space previously occupied by the propane tank. The tank is attached to a new mount on the trailer tongue.

Thanks, Bill

Last edited by wlooper89 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:57 pm

I hate to besmirch the sanctity of this venerable sticky, but I really had to get something off my chest. Bill that box/electrical setup looks really awesome. Very well thought-out/executed!
:applause:
I never use emoticons, but there you go.
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:18 am

Here are my plans not sure about my fuse sizes yets getting some good advice from reading post. Thank you guys
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby StealthDave » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:10 am

OK, I admit to basic idiocy here. I looked through the post but couldn't find the info I was seeking. Its probably staring right at me.lol. Here is my basic question regarding the diagrams on page 7:

Can you use regular single pole breakers from home depot/lowes for all breaker applications, or do you need specific breakers for 12 volt apps and specific 110/120 volt breakers?

Thank you,

Dave
StealthDave
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CPlater » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:30 am

StealthDave wrote:Can you use regular single pole breakers from home depot/lowes for all breaker applications, or do you need specific breakers for 12 volt apps and specific 110/120 volt breakers?

No. AC and DC circuit breakers are different. Typically DC breakers are little rectangular metal cans with a couple of studs protruding from the top and there is usually no reset button or switch.
Courtney
CPlater
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:33 am

You need automotive type fuses for the 12 volt and regular Lowe's circuit breakers for 110. Both types of holders are easy to find. Progressive Dynamics makes a converter 110 and 12V circuit distribution center
www.progressivedyn.com/all_in_one_pd4300.html
This give an idea of how this could be fabed up, or just use theirs.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby wlooper89 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:03 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:You need automotive type fuses for the 12 volt and regular Lowe's circuit breakers for 110. Both types of holders are easy to find. Progressive Dynamics makes a converter 110 and 12V circuit distribution center
www.progressivedyn.com/all_in_one_pd4300.html
This give an idea of how this could be fabed up, or just use theirs.

I agree. The Progressive model looks good and has more circuits. For a smaller and less expensive one I am using this.
http://www.bestconverter.com/WFCO-8725- ... _p_50.html
There are fuses for 3 DC circuits plus battery charge connection and reverse polarity protection. The battery charge wire feeds battery power through to the 3 DC circuits if there is no AC hookup.

There are two slots for AC circuit breakers.

Bill
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby BC Dave » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 pm

toypusher wrote:I believe, with much assistance from Bruce, that the following is what should be safe and cover exactly what I want in my tear.

and a blowup of the Circuit Breakers

And finally, what Joanne's original configuration, using the tow vehicle for charging and having NO 120VAC.

Sure hope that these are correct now and that everyone can get some use from them.

Many thanks to Joanne for the original drawings and especially to Bruce for all the technical advise.
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Kerry

Excellent! Thanks! This helps clarify. You may want to add grounding the AC bare or green to the trailer frame (did you do that?).

Cheers Dave
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Capt. Home Slice » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:32 am

..posted in the wrong place, please see this thread...

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33719
Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33463
What if you were a cow and you had a cup of coffee?
Capt. Home Slice
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:08 pm

toypusher wrote:And finally, what Joanne's original configuration, using the tow vehicle for charging and having NO 120VAC.

Kerry

Using this 12vdc only setup, would I need something between the tow battery and trailer battery? I was just reading another post about a Sure Power 1314 battery sererator?
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

My Wiring Plans

Postby Redhawk10 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:43 am

Hi
I was looking at your wiring plans and was wondering if you had already put it into use and how it worked out for you. I'm trying to set up the electrical for the TD i'm building. :thinking:
Redhawk10
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jofa » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Just made this scheme in Excel with Office drawing tool so anyone can download and adjust it to it's needs. ...just draw the lines. This is what I would like to instal, but my electricity knowledge is poor.
would like to pre-wire for solar but dont know where to go with it.
If you check my sheme you will see what i mean. Also, have no idea if inverter setup is right!?

does this scheme make any sence at all!?

http://www.mediafire.com/?bdp594sj489bjfj
jofa
Teardrop Builder

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:21 am

jofa wrote:Just made this scheme in Excel with Office drawing tool so anyone can download and adjust it to it's needs. ...just draw the lines. This is what I would like to instal, but my electricity knowledge is poor.
would like to pre-wire for solar but dont know where to go with it.
If you check my sheme you will see what i mean. Also, have no idea if inverter setup is right!?

does this scheme make any sence at all!?

http://www.mediafire.com/?bdp594sj489bjfj

Looks pretty good Jofa. The wires coming from the Solar Charge Controller would just connect to your battery.

As for the power inverter, you just reminded that I forgot to include one on my new wiring diagram. On my trailer now, I just use a small 400W power inverter that hooks directly to the car battery, and then I plug the "shore power" into the inverter, which takes the AC throughout the trailer.

Here is my diagram....

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 155#871155
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets