Windows & Fans

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Windows & Fans

Postby Cmdr » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:00 pm

Hello to All,....I'm building a "Weekender" Teardrop with single walls (no Insulation). I'm looking for a supplier of windows and ceiling fan /vent...Would appreciate and comments or refferals on this matter.
Thanks Guys,
Cmdr :worship:
Cmdr
Teardrop Builder

Postby doug hodder » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:16 pm

I'm partial to the windows that Lil Bear (Grant) has. I've used both the 12 x 18's and the 15 x 18's. I prefer the larger ones. They crank out from the bottom. The advantage for me is...I can have them full open in rain and don't get any inside like possible on a slider window. It's also more typical in design for what a vintage tear had. I also radius the corners on them.

I've used Fantastic fans in all my builds. 3 speed and 2 directions. They are also available with a thermal sensor and remote control. I don't use any of that however. There was some discussion recently on the noise, but it doesn't bother me. Not that loud in my opinion. They move a lot of air and when on the exhaust setting, draw a ton of air in through the windows. I've slept in the tear with the dog inside in temps/ humidity that we had in Minden in 05 with the doors closed and was fine.

I'm sure there are a lot of other opinions and other options available. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dean_A » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:20 pm

I agree with Doug on both counts. I used Grant's windows and the FanTastic Vent as well.
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby Larwyn » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:23 pm

Dean_A wrote:I agree with Doug on both counts. I used Grant's windows and the FanTastic Vent as well.

This is just another one of those "Me too" posts...

Me too....................... :lol: :lol:

It's true, I have the windows from Grant and the 3 speed reversible Fantastic Vent. I do not find the fan too noisy either.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Cmdr » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:50 pm

OK... :thumbsup:
I really appreciate the quick response on this.......And I will make a point to go Grant Whipp web page.....
Thanks Guys :applause:
Cmdr
Cmdr
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:54 pm

Cmdr, this guy has about the best prices on Fantastic Fans and is a great guy to deal with... http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/ ...you might find cheaper but Scott wil make sure you get EXACTLY what you want and need and has a number of options for domes/vent height/interior garnishes and the the like...all for the same price.........

You can find cheaper windows than Grant has BUT you will not find better quality or service ANYWHERE for the price...give him a look-see....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Cmdr » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:01 pm

Mr. MadJack,
Thanks for the good reference...I have placed him on my supplier list and have already started ordering parts :applause: Appreciate the extra effort....
Cmdr.
Cmdr
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:20 am

Haven't started my build, but am collecting parts. I purchased windows from Grant and the Fantastic vent fan from Adohen - the company MJ recommended. Service from both were great.

By the way, if you are planning an aluminum roof skin, Adohen can get the Fantastic vent fan in the "Airstream Gray" exterior color. This is advertised on their website. I think, thought, that this color limits you to the standard dome rather than the flat dome.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Cmdr » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:44 pm

Aggie79,
I'm doing the same thing your doing....Just collecting parts at this time...Thanks for the help and info....
Cmdr :thumbsup:
Cmdr
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets