Battery Gas

Anything electric, AC or DC

Battery Gas

Postby Gene Newcomb » Sun May 22, 2005 7:26 pm

Howdy,
Do you ever need to worry about batteries releasing any toxic gases in the compartment? I assume not because there are so many teardrops with the battery in the galley area but since my kids will be sleeping in it I want to make sure.
Thanks,
Gene
Gene Newcomb
www.customdie.com and oklahrdw on Ebay.
Gene Newcomb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Brad Lustig » Sun May 22, 2005 8:27 pm

You may want to try either a jump pack or get an Optima battery. I know they optima batteries are drycells and I believe all jump packs are dry cells so there shouldn't be any gases released. But, if I'm not mistaken, batteries usually release gas when they're being charged? May be wrong about that one.
Brad Lustig
Teardrop Master

Postby denverd0n » Mon May 23, 2005 11:02 am

Batteries release hydrogen when they are being charged. Hydrogen is not toxic to humans. The dangers would be if the hydrogen displaced enough oxygen to cause asphyxiation (seems unlikely to me), and the fact that hydrogen is explosive. So, get a high enough concentration of the hydrogen in an enclosed area where a spark might occur and you run the possibility of a big BOOM!

Personally, I intend to vent my battery box outside the tear.
denverd0n
Teardrop Advisor

CSI Teardrop

Postby Gene Newcomb » Mon May 23, 2005 12:37 pm

Thanks. I'm not planning on putting a charger on board so no worries. I am not a long term camper so I am counting on the battery to last a weekend or tailgating.
Gene Newcomb
www.customdie.com and oklahrdw on Ebay.
Gene Newcomb
Teardrop Inspector

Re: CSI Teardrop

Postby SteveH » Mon May 23, 2005 12:43 pm

Gene Newcomb wrote:Thanks. I'm not planning on putting a charger on board so no worries. I am not a long term camper so I am counting on the battery to last a weekend or tailgating.

Gene,

I've got a standard boat battery in my teardrop, and it has lasted with reserve for three nights so far.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Q » Mon May 23, 2005 9:54 pm

A charging lead acid battery actually produces hydrogen AND oxygen in just the right quantities to make a big boom if gathered in an enclosed space. Very little gas is produced until the battery reaches full charge. Anyway, there is no problem breathing either of those gasses. An overcharged battery will emit some sulphur smell from tiny droplets of sulphuric acid escaping through the vents. The smell would drive you out of the teardrop long before it beceame dangerous to breath.

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby Woody » Mon May 23, 2005 10:38 pm

Battery gassing is at best minimal it wouldn't hurt to vent, but not for the "explosive potential. Battery gassing happens during charging and discharging. I really doubt and I say it again an "Hindenberg Type Experience" will happen, unless you have a big bank of batteries installed. I think the real threat of explosions would be more like propane vs. battery gassing, no one even considers this everytime this topic comes up, considering all the built in stoves and now even ovens being installed in enclosed galleys, especially by non professionals. A leaking propane bottle, valve or line would release gas faster and in an explosive concetration far faster or if nothing else suffacating you by displacing oxygen if entered the cabin, than worrying about battery gassing. Let alone from carbon monoxide poisoning from propane water heaters and furnaces installed in such a small and enclosed space as a teardrop. I think that this should be a far more worth considering as an safety issue
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Battery Gas

Postby swampgas » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:13 pm

From what I've been able to tell most of the gassing is produced during charging, but some is produced during discharging. If you want to assume the worst case and try to quantify it, you may find the following interesting.

http://giantbatteryco.com/GLOSSARY/Calc ... ssion.html
swampgas
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:06 am

Many batteries are sold as 'sealed' and gel...

does that mean they do not out gas, or just that they don't need water added like the older batteries did?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Dale M. » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:19 am

Simple solution is to install battery in its own compartment, with two vents... Since Hydrogen is lighter than air, it tends to float upward, so with a vent at top of battery compartment to "outside" and a "fresh air" inlet at lower portion of compartment there should not be any issues with the accumulation of any gases.... Simple convection will carry out any gasses.... A simple solution to a no worry trip......

The compartment can be a simple wood "cabinet" with weather stripping on door..... Or fancy molded "marine" style battery boxes with vent hoses provisions provided.... Actually if battery is in a tongue box it removes all the issues of battery gasses getting into living area of TD.

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:43 am

Q wrote:A charging lead acid battery actually produces hydrogen AND oxygen in just the right quantities to make a big boom if gathered in an enclosed space. Very little gas is produced until the battery reaches full charge

Please post a link which verifies any of that - I'm 99% sure only hydrogen comes out of the battery (where it mixes with the oxygen in the atmosphere of course) and that the gassing begins as soon as the charging process begins boiling the electrolyte and not just near the end when the battery reaches 'full charge' as you state

If you have something scientific to prove either of your statements, lots of us can learn something new

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:54 am

Alphacarina wrote:
Q wrote:A charging lead acid battery actually produces hydrogen AND oxygen in just the right quantities to make a big boom if gathered in an enclosed space. Very little gas is produced until the battery reaches full charge

Please post a link which verifies any of that - I'm 99% sure only hydrogen comes out of the battery (where it mixes with the oxygen in the atmosphere of course) and that the gassing begins as soon as the charging process begins boiling the electrolyte and not just near the end when the battery reaches 'full charge' as you state

If you have something scientific to prove either of your statements, lots of us can learn something new

Don

Don, I have no "scientific" links for ya but the hydrogen is produced by electrolysis, from the water(H2O) in the battery ...so if the hydrogen is released, so is the oxygen, thus a hydrogen/oxygen mix...along with some sulfur from the acid....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:56 am

quote:

A word of caution: ALL lead-acid batteries can produce hydrogen and oxygen gasses! Never charge lead-acid batteries in a sealed area or container. Always charge lead-acid batteries with adequate ventilation and avoid making or breaking connections at the battery to avoid an electrical discharge (sparks, arcs or shorts). Connect the charger to the battery system before powering up or plugging in the charger. Another caution for discharged lead-acid batteries: Remember that the electrolyte at this point is mostly water and will freeze at a higher temperature (15 to 20 degrees F.) than a fully charged battery.

http://projects.crustal.ucsb.edu/scec/pbic/equip/man/battery_care.html
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Elumia » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:54 pm

lead acid Batteries should not be in the cabin, and should be vented. While hydrogen and oxygen may be safe to breathe, if you smell "rotten eggs" your battery is making hydrogen sulfide (H2S) which is highly toxic to breathe.

Mark
Last edited by Elumia on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elumia
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:59 pm

I had a car battery blow up in my face many years ago. So apparently batteries do outgas, and when making a spark, like when you are putting jumper cables on your battery, that's all it takes to make a nice big boom!

Once is all it takes. I won't take chances with outgassing ever again. My battery will always be in a vented area. :oops:

Mike...

P.S. And if you're wondering, battery gasses rise! :roll:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets