Gerdo, which Engle Fridge?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Gerdo, which Engle Fridge?

Postby mikeschn » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:57 pm

Gerdo,

I noticed in another thread that you use an Engle Fridge. Which one do you have, and do you have any photos that show the relative scale of it?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:42 pm

Mike, here is a link to a less expensive version of an Engel...I know nothing about them other than what is in the add but i sure wish someone would buy one and give us all a review(hinthinthint)...................
linky linky
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Engel Refer's

Postby Pdbeta » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:57 am

Im not Gerdo but. . .If it helps?
We have an Engel MT45FU1 which is the 43 qt model. We got ours two summers ago from Compact appliance,TX. There website no longer shows this model?
I "googled" Engel and found www.bigfrogmountain.com
which lists all the current models and accessories. It also lists interior and external size/s.

In our experience we're thrilled with the unit. It is by all accounts very expensive given the size, but it works exacly as described. We wouldn't hesitate to buy another should it get damaged or stolen.
We use ours every August for our annual month long trip and experience all kinds of outdoor temps. At home its plugged in, in the garage keeping beverages cold year round.

The unit operates flawlessly. At first we were concerned about the interior size (aprox 43 qts) but its 100% useable, no ice, just foodstuffs.It works and switches from 110 v to 12v without missinga beat.
On days when we know we're going to be stopped for hours, we line the unit with water bottles and crank it up to freeze. When we stop, the semifrozen water bottles keep the interior cold to keep foodstuffs from spoiling.

P
Pdbeta
Teardrop Master

Postby Rock » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:46 am

Mike,

Camping World (I-94 service drive, Belleville) has a rebadged Engel MT45 on sale right now for $600. Sold under the Norcold brand. It's the exact same fridge.

When Compact Appliance had their Memorial Day sale this year, you could have gotten the MT45 for 10% off, free shipping for about $635 delivered - so it's a wash when you consider sales tax. CA is no longer an option however as they have dropped Engel freezers.

As far as scale it's almost the exact same size as a standard 65 quart Coleman. Detailed specs are available many places online. Maybe mock one up out of cardboard?

Take it from me that no one has spent more time looking for the best price on this item. I'm very pleased with it.
Rock
Teardrop Master

Postby Gerdo » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:18 pm

I have the 45 quart, MT45 . It is GREAT! I use a small refridgerator thermometer to set/check the set temp. Typically once you set the temp you can forget it. We can fill it with a week of food and not worry about it.

Lisha, my wife, was on some medication that HAD to stay 37*-40* when we traveled so it was great. We also could shop and get the foods at home that we wanted and didn't have to worry about finding it on the road.

Did I mention the fact that you don't have to keep buying ice. You also don't have it sloshing around and having wet food. I have done dry ice but it can be hard to find on the road and hard to regulate the cold.

I keep it inside my TV. That way we can reach it while driving and just go to it when camping. I mounted a 12 volt outlet in the back of my tow vehicle that is wired to the same line that charges my TD battery. That way when the car is running the outlet is powered off the car. When I'm stopped it runs off the TD battery automaticly. I also have another deep cycle battery that I have run it off. It is just a 500ah battery and I have had it running for a 30 hour period and only run it down to 12.54 volts. The fridge draws 2.5 amps max so if it ran constantly it would draw 25 amps in 10 hours. It doesn't run constantly even with a full load.

It does have a ton of vents on it but it does not produce much heat. I'm sure there are about 10 times as needed so if some get blocked I don't worry about it. It is very quiet, only a slight hum.

I plug it in, 120v, the night before to get it cold so it's ready to go. It only takes about an hour to get cold.

It was expensive but I'm so happy with it and love having it.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:27 pm

That's some good information. Thanks. And I've been to that camping world too, I guess I'll be going back.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Gerdo » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:33 pm

The CW fridge does resemble an Engel. The control portion is different. If you go look at the CW Norcold model look at the ID tag. If it is made by Sawafuji Electric Co Ltd then it is probably the same. The Engel has a "Swing Motor Compressor". $600 is a good price. I paid $650 at a local offroad shop.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GregB » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:00 pm

It looks like CW has them for $599 and you can save another 10% if you buy their President's Club membership for $14.95. Pretty darn sweet deal. Last time we discussed this someone pointed me to a comparison of Engel with Waeco, the Engels seem to pull much less power along with other advantages.
http://www.i-m-d.com/engel/1Competition.htm

The EdgeStar 'fridge at CA also pulls 4 amps at 12v which is a good bit more than the 2.5 amps pulled by the Engel. They seem comparable but if you're going to pay that much for a 'fridge, may as well get the best. Though I don't have one yet, they appear to be held in as high esteem as Springbar tents. I've never read a bad review.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Gerdo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:34 pm

Gerdo wrote: I also have another deep cycle battery that I have run it off. It is just a 500ah battery and I have had it running for a 30 hour period and only run it down to 12.54 volts.

After a full, 14 hour, charge this battery only reads 12.59 volts.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:55 pm

Mike
Have you bought one yet?
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:11 pm

Gerdo wrote:Mike
Have you bought one yet?

No, why? You got one for me?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Gerdo » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:41 pm

Sure, I have one for everyone that wants one. Ha Ha Ha! You just have to pay the shipping. Should be about $700.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have until the middle of December to get one.

I'm hoping to go to CW soon to check theirs out.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion