Aluminum Siding Versus Whatever?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Aluminum Siding Versus Whatever?

Postby Franklin » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:47 am

We have the plans for the Glen-L Sequoia and it calls for aluminum siding over the insulation. I don't really like the look on something so small and want to consider other things but in trying to keep it as light as the aluminum siding would be, I'm not sure if we would really have other options. I have seen a little book that would easily fit in your pocket at the hardware store and it is for contractor's, etc. with measurements, weights and such and I am wondering if anyone has used it and if it might be helpful? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as we try to work our way through this. Cathy :thinking:
Franklin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby len19070 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:16 am

:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby reiltear » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:05 pm

Cathy, if you know what materials you would like to use, pretty much all data could be found on the internet. A 4'X8' sheet of aluminum .04" thick weighs about the same as a 4'X8' sheet of plywood .125"(1/8") thick.

I looked at the notes for Sequoia on the the Glen-L web site and they offer an option of using 1/8" paneling on some of the interior instead of 3/16". If you used 1/8" ply on all of the interior and 3/16" or 1/4" on the exterior there won't be much loss of strength(people use 3/32" to skin airplanes they actually fly in) and not much, if any, weight penalty(too lazy to calculate).

Steve Wolverton built his Puffin(a TTT) with 1/4" plywood only for the walls with minimal framing and didn't seem to have any problems.

Hope this helps.
reiltear
Teardrop Master

Postby jeepr » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:34 pm

My walls are painted plywood.

(Not quite finished :D )

Mike C.
jeepr
The 300 Club

Postby Gerdo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:45 pm

My roof is Filon. I like the look of the silver aluminum but I didn't want the Colorado hail storms to ding it all up. We get a couple of storms a year and it'll make a car look like a bunch of monkeys were beating on it with ballpein hammers.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Hail Is Always A Concern

Postby Franklin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:21 am

Hail is always a concern to us as we have lived in AL, NC, AZ and KS and all had hail storms - bad ones. Good thing about this little TT is that it will fit in the antique garage but could still get caught in a storm away from home. I really like all the ideas presented. We have limited skills but are highly motivated. Thanks, Cathy
Franklin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:43 am

http://www.cranecomposites.com/sequentia/structoglaswall.asp

Have seen several up close that have used frp panels for roof as well as side panels the best part they are available 4x8 4x9 4x10 and 4x12 in several colors.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby deck99 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:45 pm

Do our home improvement stores carry the FRP panels? Are the FRP panels the same thing that lowes carries to cover shower walls, restaurant walls, etc?

I assume I would need to sheath out my trailer in 1/4 inch ply and then glue these panels onto the ply?

Thanks,

deck
deck99
Teardrop Inspector

UV protection is the issue

Postby ZendoDeb » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:23 pm

deck99 wrote:Do our home improvement stores carry the FRP panels? Are the FRP panels the same thing that lowes carries to cover shower walls, restaurant walls, etc?

Probably not...

Filon is fairly flexible, so that it will take a bend around a teardrop. The gelcoat used in the interior applications "should" be UV resistant - I don't know of any that isn't. But filon WILL be UV resistant.

It also has a finish more like a new car.
"Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them.... The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final anchorage." - Arthur Ransome: Racundra's First Cruise, 1923
ZendoDeb
Teardrop Builder

My new favorate

Postby ssrjim » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:18 pm

and it comes in colors:

http://www.alumetsupply.com/PrePaintedAluminum.htm

has a nice color chart but you want to buy local.
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques