Table ideas

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Table ideas

Postby mollyteardrop » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:55 am

I have a new teardrop and would like to attach some kind of bracket to the outside that a table would connect to. I would carry the table with folding legs in my truck, but then be able to attach it to the TD once parked.....any ideas, sources?
Thanks for the help!
Molly
mollyteardrop
Teardrop Advisor

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:40 am

Side tables are great. I added one for each side at counter height and actually one at table height if needed. I can even drop the table lower for my younger nieces and nephews.

Here's why. While kayak camping we used a site with only one table and about 20 people. We're having an after river drink sitting around the td table and you can see the side one is holding my grill for cooking.

Madjack turned me on to this easy to cut and use bracket found at TJ trailers but they were out last time I ordered and looked dropped now from their site. Vintage Trailer Suply had them in stock and at the same price.
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/pro ... ts-516.htm

One part attaches to the table, the other to the td. I rounded off the edges on the outer tear and I'm real happy having these extras.....if needed. You can see a small silver bracket in my side profile. It comes in a 30" length so I cut it into 3 equal sizes.

Have fun with your ideas............
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mollyteardrop » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:49 am

Thank you....I will get on it! Did you build your tables?
By the way....I was born in Lakewood, OH! Lived there until I was 4 and have memories of Lake Erie....and a neighborhood candy store :lol:
mollyteardrop
Teardrop Advisor

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:59 am

Wow..........it's a small world........................

I bought really nice aspen from Lowes. Here's a closer look at it. That's me all smiles from my first outing with the teardrop.

All the widths are 18". The side tables are 3' long and match the counter height. The table to sit at was 4' because a foot of it was under the counter.

Some folks have cut out room for a bowl or a sink. There's no limit at what you can add for comfort. If I have a long leg to travel and need to stop at night the the tables are stored in the back of my pickup. If it's a same day drive I slide them in the cabin on top of the mattress.
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mollyteardrop » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:12 pm

You bought the table as is? or did you build it? It is beautiful, and you look like on happy TD camper!!!!
mollyteardrop
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Sam I am » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:57 pm

For my side table, I used the same supports that Barb used. They are two aluminum extrusions that lock together. A nice feature is that once together, you can still slide the table sideways a few inches to get the table leg off that rock that always seems to be in the wrong place!
Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:03 pm

I bought the piece of aspen, rounded the corners and put a soft edge to all sides. Stained it and then folowed up with 3 coats of Minwax Clear Shield. The side tables can stay out in the rain. The eating table comes out so I can close the hatch.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby brian_bp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:08 pm

The channel which Barb used looks like a good design, but watch out for the type I found on an old rental tent trailer: the extrusion on the table edge slides into the end of the mating extrusion on the trailer side, so you have to slide it in the whole width of the table. It tends to jam and is really frustrating, and I wondered if I were going to rip the trailer siding off trying to get the table out.

I also wonder about height adjustment: if the table is supported on one end by the trailer, and the other end by a leg, one end or the other needs to be adjustable in height if you want your table to be level.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby planovet » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:40 pm

brian_bp wrote:The channel which Barb used looks like a good design, but watch out for the type I found on an old rental tent trailer: the extrusion on the table edge slides into the end of the mating extrusion on the trailer side, so you have to slide it in the whole width of the table. It tends to jam and is really frustrating, and I wondered if I were going to rip the trailer siding off trying to get the table out.

I also wonder about height adjustment: if the table is supported on one end by the trailer, and the other end by a leg, one end or the other needs to be adjustable in height if you want your table to be level.

Try a little wax on the edges of your extrusion (like from a candle), it may help keeping it from jamming. On most tables that are attached to the side of a trailer, it's the leg that is adjustable. I've seen everything from an old crutch to an adjustable leg used for cameras. You can get very creative on what you use. If you click on the link above for the channel Barb used, you will see a box on the right side "Might we suggest". It's a folding leg that adjusts in 1" increments from 25" to 29".
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:01 pm

I adjust the length of the table leg.......................others, like MadJack, has his side table supports at an angle back to the frame. Check his album out for an example.

Barb
Last edited by b.bodemer on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jackdaw » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:19 pm

I wanted to have a good size food prep area, and went for a full depth counter top.

Here's a close up of the aluminium extrusions I used.
They started off as a window hinge on a travel trailer.

I went for a support back onto the trailer. A Lot of the sites we have over here are anything but flat and I thought it may be better than an adjustable leg. If the trailer is level , then so is the table/worktop.

The support locates in a socket on the back of the trailer, and into a recess cut into the underside of the table/worktop;

The top sits on top of the stove and sink for traveling, with the support bracket stored at the back.
The aluminium bracket doesn't look out of place either.

The curved bar that supports the top matches the hatch support

Cheers, Dave.
Last edited by jackdaw on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:13 am

We've been using some wooden TV trays...light ,go anywhere... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Catoosa Grani » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:50 am

Dave, that is a very nice instalation. It looks great.

Grani
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby mollyteardrop » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:26 am

Wow again....I love the ideas, and I am getting motivated to learn some construction skills! All your 'handiwork' is so beautiful. Any advice now on essentials to keep stored...camping stuff, and tools?
You are so helpful to this new teardropper!
Molly
mollyteardrop
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Marck » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:13 pm

one way you could attach a side table woule be with 2 hinges. The type where you can pull the pins out of. We used to build the game tents for the carnival like this, put one half of the hinge on the side of the trailer, and the other on the bottom edge of the table. then use a large cotter key, or a 16 penny nail to slip in to the hinge, thus holding the 2 together.

Don't use the pins, they fit too snugly and you have a difficult time getting them in and out.
Last edited by Marck on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques