Ohohhhh Leak - Question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Ohohhhh Leak - Question

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:02 pm

:o :shock: Ohohhhhhhhhhoooooo. Found a leak.. :thinking: Ok I did find a leak on our tear today..

Now since Im nooooo expert either I thought I best ask.. to get this fixed asap.

ok on our tear I have the 2 forward windows thats where I found the leak on one side :o . I guess I better pull the rubber seal and redo it on both but.

What can I use on the inside of the seal ? Silicone? Butyl Seal or? to help lock it so I wont get the leak anymore? Should I use one of the above all the way around the inside of the seal then?

As far as I can see its only on one side :worship: Glad I caught it now and not in mid winter. ;)

Classic Finn :thinking:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby PaulC » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:09 pm

Heikki,Personally, I would probably use the Sikaflex sealant around the inner and outer sections. The sealants you suggest would probably do the job too.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:13 pm

PaulC wrote:Heikki,Personally, I would probably use the Sikaflex sealant around the inner and outer sections. The sealants you suggest would probably do the job too.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:

Thank You Paul

So I guess I need to get somthing that doesnt harden then. I,ll go check out the sikaflex products. I do have some clear marine silicone on hand here at home though.. :thinking:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby starleen2 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:53 pm

Was the leak on the glass side of the weatherstrip or on the lip side (where it contacts the camper). If it is on the glass side, then the whole window needs to be pulled and sealer added to the channel glass then reinstall and seal around the lip. If it is on the lip side, then carefully lift up the lip and seal under it with silicone. I would avoid butyl against the vinyl topper
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:35 pm

Heikki,
As I recall... You had a conversation with someone from Sikaflex.
I don't think they'd steer you wrong.
Question... Was their advise given to you before you decided to switch to a vinyl roof?
If so, I'd contact them again.
If not, you may be able to inject more sealant to stop the leak without having to remove and reinstall... If you can pin-point where the leak is.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:46 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Heikki,
As I recall... You had a conversation with someone from Sikaflex.
I don't think they'd steer you wrong.
Question... Was their advise given to you before you decided to switch to a vinyl roof?
If so, I'd contact them again.
If not, you may be able to inject more sealant to stop the leak without having to remove and reinstall... If you can pin-point where the leak is.

Yes Dean your correct I did speak with sikaflex. On a few occasion and also it was indeed before the vinyl roof was added. Its coming in from the upper outer edge that much I found out so far. I need to take the entire rubber moulding off Im sure. Just for a piece of mind to see if any other damage has occured. Just to be safe. Never know in our climate. ;)

I,ll call the Sikaflex people as soon as they open this morning.

Classic Finn :thumbsup:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:56 pm

Well aint no mo H2O gettn in the tear :lol: :lol: called my buddies at Sikaflex and took care of the leak on the window. ;) Was a bit tough to get under the lip so called on the moulding but got it in there and so far so good.

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques