Kelly Kettle

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Jst83 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:26 pm

:thinking: See you guys keep me thinking, I've got a small barrel grill I was gonna retire for a larger one. now I'm thinking the fire box on it would make a great trailer hitch grill :thumbsup:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Oni » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:28 pm

I have read many good things about this stove: http://www.bushbuddy.ca/

Expensive...and there are plans for home made stoves using some empty cans that use the same principle...but the craftsmanship is supposed to be outstanding on these stoves. Plan to try and make my own...and may buy a bushbuddy as well. Be good for a disaster kit as well as camping.
Oni
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:32 pm

Mmmmm! Looking at all that cooking yummy food in the pics makes me think I should make a trip to Mike's house for dinner! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Jst83 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:00 pm

Oni wrote:I have read many good things about this stove: http://www.bushbuddy.ca/

Expensive...and there are plans for home made stoves using some empty cans that use the same principle...but the craftsmanship is supposed to be outstanding on these stoves. Plan to try and make my own...and may buy a bushbuddy as well. Be good for a disaster kit as well as camping.

Looks neat but $95 for an empty bean can, I'm sorry but no amount of craftsmanship is worth that, Yep make your own :thumbsup:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Stainles Steel version coming soon

Postby moreforles » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:01 pm

I contacted them about product and was emailed back that a stainless steel version was coming soon, I told him I was interested in ordering a couple, but I would wait for the stain less version
moreforles
Teardrop Master

bear can grill?

Postby moreforles » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:21 pm

I found one empty Heineken mini kegs (Draughtkeg) left in an empty apartment I was cleaning the carpet in... thought, cut in half.... might be big enough for a burger or two or at least a few hot dogs....
moreforles
Teardrop Master

Postby xrover » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:30 am

I own the Kelly Kettle and it was purchased through Lee Valley. They are a great little kettle to have as I use as a normal kettle if I have propane, or heat with wood when no propane. It does not melt either way and it does heat up fast. It's not a large capacity kettle, so something to consider for those of you who like a bubba mug of coffee in the morning. Some tips when using:
- if using over propane, don't put your hand over the top since you'll get a blast of very hot air coming up through the chimney
- do not put the cork in tight when boiling water. One of the first times I used it I stuffed that cork in hard, and after the pressure had built it, the blowing out of the cork actually caused the whole kettle to fly off and spray hot boiling water everywhere.
- if you have kids, give them the job of feeding the fire. It's a twig based combustion chamber and fairly safe for the kids to collect the twigs and push into the base
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Postby razorback » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:40 am

xrover
I was intrigued by the kelly kettle and went to their web site. It says to never place the cork or any obstruction over the water pour spout.
they say the cork is only to be used if you are transporting cold water in the kettle. Not trying to be a smart a just wanted to let you know their safety precautions.
# Remove protective cork from kettle and fill kettle with water. Do not replace the cork - the water spout must be free from ALL obstructions when the kettle is in use. (Note: If you do not need to carry water in the kettle, we recommend that the Cork be removed entirely rom the kettle as this will ensure that the kettle is not misused)
# Fill base with combustible material such as newspaper, dry grass or very small tinder. Then place the kettle securely on the base.
# Light fire through the hole(s) in side of the base and face into wind for extra draught if required.
# Insert additional fuel through the chimney (use small twigs or Pine cones for best results).
# When the water boils, hold the handle at a 90° angle to the body of the Kettle – then lift Kettle clear of the base. Use handle and chain for pouring. If additional boiling water is required, simply refill the kettle, place it back on the fire base and refuel the chimney again!
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby xrover » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:01 am

razorback wrote:xrover
I was intrigued by the kelly kettle and went to their web site. It says to never place the cork or any obstruction over the water pour spout.
they say the cork is only to be used if you are transporting cold water in the kettle. Not trying to be a smart a just wanted to let you know their safety precautions.
# Remove protective cork from kettle and fill kettle with water. Do not replace the cork - the water spout must be free from ALL obstructions when the kettle is in use. (Note: If you do not need to carry water in the kettle, we recommend that the Cork be removed entirely rom the kettle as this will ensure that the kettle is not misused)
# Fill base with combustible material such as newspaper, dry grass or very small tinder. Then place the kettle securely on the base.
# Light fire through the hole(s) in side of the base and face into wind for extra draught if required.
# Insert additional fuel through the chimney (use small twigs or Pine cones for best results).
# When the water boils, hold the handle at a 90° angle to the body of the Kettle – then lift Kettle clear of the base. Use handle and chain for pouring. If additional boiling water is required, simply refill the kettle, place it back on the fire base and refuel the chimney again!
Larry

Yes, that is true, however it makes the assumption that I carefully read the instructions. And now we know. :)
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets