Uniflex and CPES Estimate

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Uniflex and CPES Estimate

Postby TomS » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:29 pm

I attached my exterior roof on Saturday. I'm about to place an order with the Rot Doctor for CPES, Uniflex 255 and filler. I know Mike and Arnie have used this stuff. I don't know if anyone else has used it.

Since this material is relatively expensive, I really don't want to over order. How much of this stuff will I need for my 5 x 8 Cubby?

Thanks.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:09 am

You will probably need 2 quarts of CPES and 2 gallons of the Uniflex.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:30 am

I bought 2 gals of 255, and used 1 to get 2 coats on..... I recently added the a/c unit and used the other gal to do the a/c enclosure and give the tear a 3rd coat..... so I'd say Mike is right on.... believe it cost me around $300 total.

I'm not sure the 3rd coat was necessary for protection, but I could still see some 'shadows' in the white, and the 3rd coat took care of that...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby TomS » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:47 am

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:28 pm

Yeah--have fun, Tom. I'm still waiting for my stupid BIRCH to arrive.

They must have been able to tell that I was a Yankee fan.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby TomS » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:06 pm

I placed my order this afternoon. For $309.12. I'd better have LOTs of fun.

:shhh: I hope for your sake that you didn't tell those guys at Boulter that you're a Yankees fan.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:38 pm

thanks for reminding me.... I have enough cpes left for my chop-the-top project, but need more uniflex...... I've decided to do it right after Mystic. We have 3 weeks after, before we head to Kingston, Ontario... and the rest of August has numerous trips and would like to have it done by then...

Might work out okay as my reading lamps are SUPposed to be here in a week and having the mattress out will be a big help to drill the holes and run the wires....

------------------

Uniflex loves to pull the nap out of rollers. Get good rollers and do not go over areas that have started to set. Mike had trouble, and I recently did on one patch...

If you want a smooter coat, drag a brush across it after rolling it on. It helps take the dimples out.....

It would be handy to have 2 people, one to apply with a roller and one to drag (I think they refer to it as 'tipping')... not entirely necessary, but better/easier.... and wear some kind of rubber gloves... you will thank me.........
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby TomS » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:45 pm

Thanks Arnie
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:30 pm

You definitely need a solvent resistant roller. You'll end up with a nice textured surface, no need to tip off.

Look at the roller I used on this page...
http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/skinning.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:16 pm

I used h/d's top rollers. My problem occurred when I said 'hmm, that looks a little thin there, think I'll go over it again'...... I had only put the 255 on about 4 minutes before, but it was sticky enough to pull some fuzz out.... It was only 1 patch about 3x3 and it was the only one I went over after a wait....

And, as Mike probably knows, sanding 255 is like sanding a rock..... no fun, so get it right the first time...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby IraRat » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:25 am

TomS wrote: I hope for your sake that you didn't tell those guys at Boulter that you're a Yankees fan.

No--but it was pretty hard to hide the Brooklyn accent.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby TomS » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:42 pm

IraRat wrote:
TomS wrote: I hope for your sake that you didn't tell those guys at Boulter that you're a Yankees fan.

No--but it was pretty hard to hide the Brooklyn accent.

Hmmm... Perhaps you should've told them you're a Mets fan. They would've told you all about Pedro. Great pitcher. But, kind of high maintenance if you know what I mean. :baby:
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:11 pm

TomS wrote:They would've told you all about Pedro. Great pitcher. But, kind of high maintenance if you know what I mean.

Ahhhhh--it's that midget he travels with that's giving him all kinds of bad advice.

And believe me--all Yankee fans respected Clemens' incredible abilities, but when he threw that broken bat at I don't remeber who in like the first or second game, that lost the series for us. We knew it immediately.

Thanks for Boggs, though. We won THAT year.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby TomS » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:24 pm

$%^$ing Stienbrenner and his bottomless checkbook! Fat lot of good it's doing him this year. He He.

Good news for Red Sox Nation. Schilling is getting healthy again. He pitched 5 innings in Pawtuckett yesterday.

Hey here's an idea. You do a Yankees theme on your rig, and I'll do a Red Sox theme on mine. We'll park 'em side by side teardrop getherings.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:23 pm

TomS wrote:$%^$ing Stienbrenner and his bottomless checkbook! Fat lot of good it's doing him this year. He He.

Good news for Red Sox Nation. Schilling is getting healthy again. He pitched 5 innings in Pawtuckett yesterday.

Hey here's an idea. You do a Yankees theme on your rig, and I'll do a Red Sox theme on mine. We'll park 'em side by side teardrop getherings.

Here goes:

Yankee fans are not in love with Steinbrenner EITHER, but the guy will do anything to win, regardless of cost. He's fortunate to be in the biggest money market, so what he would do in another, smaller market, I don't know. But I don't think it would be that much different.

The son of a bitch wants to win at any cost. Torre's been doing that for him, and that's why Torre is still THERE after so long.

As far as paying the big bucks for the big players, that HASN'T gotten us that many championships. Most of those guys crap out. They just want that last big paycheck before retiring. Take a look at Randy Johnson. Conseco. Boggs. Arod. The list goes on and on--90% of them don't PRODUCE when it matters. It's the utility players and the bench that win you championships--and if you look at the Yankees pitching, besides our RELIEF pitching, it ain't very impressive.

But...

With so much talent on the bench, and platooning--which the Yankees may not have invented but that they were really the first to make major use of years ago...

And with everyone scared of not getting on the field and that it's all over for them, THAT'S what makes these guys perform.

Believe me--last year was a MISERABLE series for us Yankee fans. But as a Yankee fan, being 6 games back now, before July 1st, really means nothing to us. That's not bravada--there are just so many games to go that it doesn't matter--especially the way Steinbrenner and Torre make their moves.

Now, when the Mets beats the Yankees last week, THAT really killed us!!!

But as far as a Yankees TD--I don't like them THAT much!!!
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques