Is this a good trailer?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Is this a good trailer?

Postby derekxcole » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:54 pm

Harbor Freight
HEAVY DUTY 1175 LB. CAPACITY 4 FT. x 8 FT. FOLDABLE UTILITY TRAILER

Stow this folding trailer just about anywhere--it only takes up 2 ft. x 5 ft. 3'' of floorspace! Steel frame has built-in slots for stake siding (stake sides and trailer contents not included). Add your own plywood decking for a 4 ft. x 8 ft. bed. Bed tilts all the way to the ground for easy loading. Easy assembly.

* DOT certified tail light, fenders and safety wiring harness
* Heavy duty steel construction with baked enamel finish
* Includes coupler assembly with safety chains and 1-7/8'' ball hitch receiver
* Three leaf spring suspension
* 4.80-12 tires
Max. load capacity: 1175 lbs; Axle thickness: 5mmOverall dimensions: 140''L x 61-1/2''W x 19-1/4''H; Weight: 287 lbs.

Its only 250 so the price is looking good but is this the right trailer to be using?
derekxcole
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:06 pm

...many a teardrop has been built using that frame and they are doing fine thankyouverymuch, however I find it to be a little light/flimsy for my taste...just a personal/truckdriver kinda thing
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:43 am

You've got to remember that even if the trailer itself is flimsy, the body will add a lot of rigidity. Yes, many tears have been built on that trailer.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:06 am

...my biggest problem with these type of trailers is not the flimsy issue but the 12" low speed hubs/wheels/tires. I know that many people have used them successfully, pulling them up and down the hi-ways BUT they were NEVER intended to travel long distances at interstate hi-way speeds
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:44 am

That's the trailer I'm using, Derek--and Jack, I hear you about the tires.

It's just that I know I'm not going to be driving long distances. (I hate driving, and I go nuts after just 2 hours.) But even those that have driven long distances with this model, no real problems as long as you're real careful. But you're right--I wouldn't want to go cross-country with it.

By the way, Derek--Kuffel Kreek has a special link on their site specifically about building their Cubby TD on this Harbor Freight trailer. According to their plans, though, you don't assemble it per the instructions. You take two of the steel cross memebers and insert them into the SIDE rails to reinforce them.You then create a wooden center cross member.

And if you can find a Harbor Freight store near you (do a search on their site), the store prices range from $179 to $199.

Yes, even cheaper than the web site.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby s4son » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:43 am

IraRat wrote:(I hate driving, and I go nuts after just 2 hours.)

That explains it....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:36 am

s4son wrote:
IraRat wrote:(I hate driving, and I go nuts after just 2 hours.)

That explains it....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not gonna start...
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby derekxcole » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:57 am

If I were to change the tires then what tires should I get and where?
And what is the Kuffel Creek Website?
derekxcole
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IraRat » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:31 am

Here is the link to Kuffel's story about the trailer above, more or less the same model:

http://www.kuffelcreek.com/1450_lb_chassis.htm

Click their Home button to get a good all-around insight into TDs. I'm building from their Cubby plans, and although I've often complained about the plans (because I didn't understand a lot), general consensus is they're very good, and it gives you the "big picture."

However, if you want to go with larger tires, you would have to change the spindles as well. These tires are a 4 bolt pattern, where most are 5. So, if you're thinking about doing this now, I would say make it easier on yourself and just buy a better trailer in the first place.

Like I said, for me--and the short trips I'll be making--my 12 inch tires will be fine.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:39 am

...I may get in trouble by the end of this post, BUT it won't be the first time

If I were to change the tires then what tires should I get and where

...it is not just the tires, it is also the hubs. I know of no suitable replacements for this setup(others might). You need to go with taller tires to reduce wear on bearing/spindles(hubs). If you go with this setup remember to check tire and HUB temperatures regularly and make sure to repack bearings with a quality grease

...here's were I will probably get in trouble

And what is the Kuffel Creek Website?

...SHEESH

madjack(shaking head sadly) 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:40 am

Tractor Supply has a 4x8 'no floor' or is it 'no bed' trailer for under $300.00 that has a 5 bolt wheel (still 12", but probably could be changed) I think you would have to cut the fenders off to put a larger wheel/tire combo on it. The is a thread about this trailer somewhere on this site, or at least a discussion in one of the other threadss, try to do a search on maybe 'no floor' or something similar.

Kerry

PS: Might want to check this:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3923&highlight=tractor+supply
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:49 am

Yeah, there's a lot to it, Derek--so if you want the 5 on 5 pattern with 15" wheels, get that in the first place.

I just went cheap because I didn't know what I was doing (I used that Kuffel story as my only source of info)...I WAS cheap (and broke at the time)...and I started building this on a complete impulse.

Ignorance never stopped me from trying something new before--so why would it now?
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby s4son » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:14 am

Here is a photo of the Tractor Supply trailer.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby DANL » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:44 pm

I've got a Harbor Freight 1175# trailer on raincheck. Has anyone added Bearing Buddies to this axle? Is it possible? I would feel a lot better about long trips with Bearing Buddies and a load of grease in place.

I've got a boat trailer with 8" wheels that has been across the country and many other long distance trips cruising at 70 plus MPH with no problems thanks to the Bearing Buddies.

Anybody know what size BBs to use?
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

bolt tog

Postby Ben W » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:53 pm

Hey all,

Thought I'd tack on to this conversation. Up until yesterday, I assumed I was gonna go with a bolt together from Redtrailers.com - very similar to the one above, but a bit wider. Now, I'm reconsidering, primarily because I live in Colorado - lots of mountains and dirt roads, and I'll be hooking it to a my Land Rover, so it may want to go off road a bit. Nothing to treacherous mind you, but not the paved asphalt.

So...finally to the question, with no welding experience, I'm going to solicit bids on Craigslist. What should I expect to pay for custom a 5x8, with a tortion axle?':thinking:
Ben W
Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques