INDIANA GATHERINGS FOR 2009

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:54 pm

Jst83 wrote:
bobhenry wrote:whooo Hoooo Mississinewa is only 73 miles away :D

You have me beat 88 for me.

Kurt those sites look pretty nice from the air view I know which site I want :twisted:

I think I'll try and check out Summit this weekend, It has the campgrounds on a peninsula like at Salamonie and one section looks nicely wooded from the aerial view

It's only 20 mi for me :applause:
Bob, it less if you take the "short cut" :shock:

Scott, the only issue I could see was that the trees are not huge and the shade is not like some other campgrounds.
:fan:
This might be better either early or late in the season.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:34 pm

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:[ It's only 20 mi for me :applause:

the trees are not huge and the shade is not like some other campgrounds.
:fan:
This might be better either early or late in the season.

Is it just a coincidence that the director is only 20 miles away :thinking:

Trees you ought to see the "trees at prophetstown state park. If you had a pencil sharpener I bet you could get a good point on them :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jst83 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:00 pm

bobhenry wrote:Trees you ought to see the "trees at prophetstown state park. If you had a pencil sharpener I bet you could get a good point on them :lol:

Are you saying they're small? :thinking:

What is the most heavily wooded Campground in Indiana I wonder?

It was way down south but the Clifty falls Park was real nice, at least the site we stayed on.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:07 am

Standing board feet per acre ?

I bet Shades and / or Turkey run will suprise you. They are both old growth native timber sites that have never been logged. There are trees there that are 4' plus across at the trunk. I e-mailed the Ind. DNR and asked your question. I bet Brown County will be right near the top of the list also.

" Inquiring mind want to know "
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:33 am

Well gas $$$$ is down enough that we can enjoy that age old pasttime the "Sunday Drive". So this weekend old what's her name and I are off to Racoon Lake to look over the camping facilities 1st hand. Will take some pics and report back !

Bob & Vickie
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:47 am

bobhenry wrote:Well gas $$$$ is down enough that we can enjoy that age old pasttime the "Sunday Drive". So this weekend old what's her name and I are off to Racoon Lake to look over the camping facilities 1st hand. Will take some pics and report back !

Bob & Vickie

Great Bob, I've been taking advantage of the gas prices too.

In the interest of the Gathering, look for a good place for the Pot Luck Dinner as well as a spot along the woods for the movie screen. Of course, I'll need a spot so I can set up the projector in that area too. :thumbsup:

Raccoon Lake looks like it should be a fun place for all interests. It's a good location for the entire group of campers that come from Indiana and Illinois as well.

The small loops around #256 - #270 look (on paper) to be a nice location, but you can verify that when you see it.

I hope it actually looks as good in person. Thanks for taking the effort to look at it for the group. :applause:

Be nice to the Raccoons ;)
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:38 pm

Here's another State Park that looks like it has potential.

I want to get down and check it out too.

Anyone in the area of Cables Mill Lake (Lieber SRA) please feel free to check it out too. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:22 pm

That ones not to far of of 70 would be easy access, has an aquatic center.
39-60 looks like a good loop, Looks pretty wooded.

Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:51 pm

Jst83 wrote:That ones not to far of of 70 would be easy access, has an aquatic center.
39-60 looks like a good loop, Looks pretty wooded.

Exactly what I was thinking. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:46 am

The Sunday drive thru Racoon SRA was sunny but brisk. As we entered the camping area we were greeted by three groundhogs standing almost at attention and keeping an eye on us. Further down the road their cousin fred posed for Vickies camera (pics tomorrow) Racoon is a lot like the center areas of Turkey run big open and kinda cornfield camping. We found 3 neat little pockets in the trees that felt more like camping in the woods. The hideaway section has 16 sites 74 - 77 are severely sloped downward but the remainder are level and well spaced so you don't feel jammed in. It is a lot like Salamonie in that you are on a outstretched finger into the resevior. A well worn forest path leads down to the boat launch area. A pit toilet is close with water centrally located as shown on the map. You ARE probably 2 1/2 foot ball fields away from the modern restroom. Racoon run 245 to 251 is a neat little nitch area that is in the trees and a little off the beaten path this area is within 50 yards of the modern restroom with water centrally located. The only other area that was tucked in the trees was White tail 130 thru 140 and the others around were full sun and more city park like. Modern Restroom were close and water well located and 2 additional pit toilets made it a short walk from every site. Locust grove and song bird were nice sites but kinda like camping at Wal-mart as was a large portion of white tail. Vickie had a suprise visitor while taking pictures she was being watched from 15 yards away by a large white tail deer unfortunatly she and her camera were pointed exactly the wrong way.

.http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/cecil_m_harden_raccoon_electric_nonelectric_prt.pdf

We left Racoon ond took 59 north to Waveland and noticed we were only 7 mile from Shades so we took the opportunity to visit the Camping facility in the park. NOW THIS IS CAMPING huge big trees and heavily wooded we were only able to visit the first 2 of the 4 camping areas but the second one in on the right is "White tail" . These sites were fantastic with modern restroom centrally located with fountains conveniently located. There was not a bad site in the 1st 2 camping areas. The back 2 areas were locked of , as Shades is open to deer hunters this weekend and throughout the deer season. This little gem is yet to be discovered by our group I believe!

THESE ARE NON ELECTRIC SITES :cry: This would make an excellent candidate for our non electric campout though :thumbsup:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/shades_nonelectric.pdf
Last edited by bobhenry on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:53 am

Bob, Your descriptions sound like you could write for a travel guide. :thumbsup:

We have camped at Shades but it was a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. No that's a different story. But is was back in our pop-up days when the kids were young. We ended up there because we started out for Turkey Run without reservations and they sent us to Shades which is only a few miles away. AT THAT TIME there were only a few primitive sites in one small camping area. "Shades of Death", the original full name for the park, does have a bunch of neat hiking trails. Aparently the name was given to the area as a result of several people using some of the cliffs to come to their end of days. Sugar creek runs through Shades and Turkey Run. In the spring, when the water is high, it's a popular destination for canoe trips. It would be a good destination for our group.

So many parks, and so little time.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:49 am

Thank you for the compliment. We enjoyed the day and Vic is a little like Elley may Clampett when it comes to "critters". She blurted out " OH look racoons !" as we passed the groundhogs. And being the smart ass that I am I said " Oh my God someone stoled their masks" ! Now she is totally confused God love her ! She did get to see her deer as it sprinted away and the red squirrels were everywhere. The shades of death name has a number of origins. The park brochure indicates that a pioneer settler wife was tired of being beaten and abused by her husband and planted an axe in his skull as he slept. Another was the Indian superstition that if you entered and lost your shadow during the daylight hours you were marked for death. In areas with the dense tree foilage this was possible.

Ain't it amazin' what you can clutter your brain with !!!! :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:58 pm

"Racoon run 245 to 251 is a neat little nitch area that is in the trees and a little off the beaten path this area is within 50 yards of the modern restroom with water centrally located."
Bob, thanks for the review. Unless I mis-read it, from your review I suspected that "Raccoon Run" is the most favorable area. :thinking:

On the maps and satellite pictures that appeared to be a decent area for a gathering to me but seeing it "in person" is different. Let me know what you would choose knowing the group of TearJerkers that could attend. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:37 pm

The 130 to 145 in WHITETAIL has a huge area right in the center right beside the playground that is a commons area. This would make a great pot luck dinner area close to the playground for the kids. There are about 27 spots there but the best ones are on the outer loop.

Just my 2 cents Bob
Last edited by bobhenry on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:47 pm

Bob, I see what you mean. The Google map is pretty clear for these sites.

White Tail Area
Are these paved? :thinking:

This looks like a good area. Close to most of us and not too far for the Teardroppers from Illinois. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest