Pocket Hole Jig

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Pocket Hole Jig

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:37 pm

I'm ready to buy a pocket hole jig, don't know how I managed to live without one for all these years. Lately I've been doing more and more free hand pocket holes with a countersink/pilot drill bit for #8 screws. Time to step up to the proper tool. So, the question is, because I want to be frugal but still get a quality tool, which one would you pocket hole jig users recommend and which ones aren't worth the money? I see the Kreg R3 Pocket Hole Jig System for $39.95 on Amazon is that a good deal? It is a double jig with one drill bit and several stop collars.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby 01Sport » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:49 pm

I like my Kreg. I didn't get one with the clamp, I just use my own. The one you are speaking of is the one I have, two holes, one bit with a moveable collar. Works great. Get it.
K.C.

Teardrop Name: Golden State Teardrop
01Sport
Teardrop Master

Postby cuyeda » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Rockler.com sells it for the same price. So no big deal on the price. I have the Kreg K3 kit, and enjoy th extra clamp variations, and dust port connections. If you are a cronic teardrop builder look at the K3 kit. For a 4 day Turkey day sale (this weekend) there is a 25% discount coupon being sent via email for any one (non-sale) item. If you are interested in the coupon and have a Rockler near you. I can post the printable coupon. Please check with the store, just in case it is a regional promotion.

Added Coupon here

Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:44 pm

I got a Blackjack. It cost me about $25.00 and works great. Solid, made of Al.

:thumbsup:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:45 pm

:thumbsup: I bought the Kreg single portable. Love it! and when I changed my mind on some things I could still use it. Better than waiting for glue to dry and clamps for face frames. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Hector » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:15 pm

Steve I got the Kreg.I think I paid about 40.00 for it.I'm very happy with it.
Hector
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:49 pm

Thanks for all the great replies. I've had a deal I can't refuse offered to me on a Master Kreg Jig still new in the package . Can't wait to get it. :D

Cliff,
I might not let that Rockler coupon go to waste either. Thanks :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Marck » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:47 pm

Love my Kreg, and after I got it I can't figger out how I went without it for so long.
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby Larwyn » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:45 pm

I'm a big fan of the Kreg jigs. I have several different versions (all by Kreg) and keep one set up for 3/4" material and another for 1 1/2" material all the time. This makes using pocket holes quick and easy whenever they are needed, even if it would not be worth the trouble to drag out the kit and set it up for just a couple of holes.

I know how I got along without it, I used dowels, or biscuits, or mortise and tenon. But I would not want to go back to not having the option to use pocket holes. They are a real time saver when they are appropriate.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby bve » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:31 pm

Micro469 wrote:I got a Blackjack. It cost me about $25.00 and works great. Solid, made of Al.

:thumbsup:

Looks like the one I got at House Of Tools, quite happy with it.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:53 am

bve wrote:Looks like the one I got at House Of Tools, quite happy with it.

House of Tools, I like the sound of that :D
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:06 am

Larwyn wrote:I'm a big fan of the Kreg jigs. I have several different versions (all by Kreg) and keep one set up for 3/4" material and another for 1 1/2" material all the time. This makes using pocket holes quick and easy whenever they are needed, even if it would not be worth the trouble to drag out the kit and set it up for just a couple of holes.

I know how I got along without it, I used dowels, or biscuits, or mortise and tenon. But I would not want to go back to not having the option to use pocket holes. They are a real time saver when they are appropriate.

I wore out my biscuit joiner and never got another good one, have a cheap one that has some flex in it and cuts lousy holes, it never gets out of it's case. Haven't done any doweling since I made a little furniture years ago. I have a router table that has so many "safety" devises built in, it is a major PIA to set up and use. I think the best ones are home made. Another router would be a nice thing, so to leave one in the table. :thinking: ..... yeah, a plunge router, louvered cabinet doors would be a fun project. Happy Thanksgiving Folks!
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Larwyn » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:55 am

Steve_Cox wrote:I wore out my biscuit joiner and never got another good one, have a cheap one that has some flex in it and cuts lousy holes, it never gets out of it's case. Haven't done any doweling since I made a little furniture years ago. I have a router table that has so many "safety" devises built in, it is a major PIA to set up and use. I think the best ones are home made. Another router would be a nice thing, so to leave one in the table. :thinking: ..... yeah, a plunge router, louvered cabinet doors would be a fun project. Happy Thanksgiving Folks!

Steve,

I guess I never had a good biscuit joiner. The one I have has always left me unimpressed, so it has seen little use. The un-scientific testing I did seemed to indicate that the biscuit did nothing to reinforce the joint, and the slot actually served to weaken it, a simple edge glued joint seemed superior. I will never wear it out because it sees limited use. I do still use dowels when pocket holes would spoil a piece. As I no longer own a mortiser, I'm not likely to use a mortise and tenon any time soon. So, for now at least, the pocket holes rule.

I could use a good router table too. The one have is a cheap Ryobi, it came with a router that I never remove, but the table and router both could be better.

Happy Thanksgiving All!
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:18 pm

Love my Kreg.......bought the cheaper set up. Very pleased with it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:36 pm

It finally arrived!

One of our esteemed forum members and trailer builder had 2 pocket hole jig kits and offered me one of them for the unbelievable price of $20 plus shipping. It was the K3 Master Jig Super Kit.

I had a little formica left from my trailer countertop and table so I made this joinery station that can sit on saw horses by itself or be placed on the end of a work table.

I grabbed some scrap lumber and the first thing I made with the pocket holes was a router jig for the table clamp dog.

I love my pocket hole jig kit! :D

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion