internet connection while traveling

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

internet connection while traveling

Postby kartvines » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:35 am

Good Morning All

We just bought a HP dv9910us notebook computer so we can have internet connection while camping.
At work I use a V740 expresscard for my broadband internet connection because it will allow me a internet connection at any location without having to locate a wifi hot zone. I really like that option.

But before moving forward I wanted to see what most of you are using for the internet connect, our new laptop does have wifi but I don't want to have to rely on it for my only connection.

So with the understanding we want to continue using satellite broadband internet, what equipment and service do you folk use and why?

Also if you can share you monthly service coast for that connection that will provide me with the needed data to decide if I want to remain with the V740 expresscard which I thin I am paying approx 59 dollar per month for unlimited connection.
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby Larwyn » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:01 pm

To me, the Internet is part of that "it all" I try to escape while camping, so; no internet? no problem! :thumbsup:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby madjack » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:24 pm

Mike, the card you have (isit Verizon) will probably be your best bet...like you stated, to use the wifi, you havvta find a hotspot...with the card, you simply havvta be within the networks range...Steve(Sonnetpro) uses an air card(possibly same) for Verizon and I know he can get internet most places...me, I'm afraid, I am stuck with wifi should I need to connect up on the road...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby john » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:45 pm

I recently bought an ACER ONE at Wally World for $350. I am using it now. It is as powerful as my old desktops. GIG of RAM and 140gig of hard drive. It is advertised as 120gig. Best of all it came with windows XP. No vista here.

As for connection to internet I go the MadJack route. Hotspots.

I want to get away from things including the net but I still want access to the net when I want it without netcafe prices.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:03 pm

john wrote:I recently bought an ACER ONE at Wally World for $350. I am using it now. It is as powerful as my old desktops. GIG of RAM and 140gig of hard drive. It is advertised as 120gig. Best of all it came with windows XP. No vista here.

As for connection to internet I go the MadJack route. Hotspots.

I want to get away from things including the net but I still want access to the net when I want it without netcafe prices.

Is that the new little computer that I saw advertised for Sam's Club? It is smaller than my desktop keyboard. I don't need one but it may in my Secret Santa sock already. I have the Verizon card which I use for my standard size laptop. It is the $59 a mo item.
A couple years ago I traveled across country with my laptop and using WiFi with my Hawking antenna. Reception was very spotty. Some places there was nothing. some I could receive but not send. Some were
very good. Some parks I paid extra , some were free. The Verizon card is better.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:14 pm

I have the Verizon card and love it. When we went on vacation we traveled through 9 states. The card worked almost everywhere. The only place I could not use it was in the black hills. When we travel fom Houston to Dallas it will stay on the entire way.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby john » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:27 pm

Yea. Little is what sold me. Little size, little price.

Edit: Pic added. I don't know what the Acer one is sitting on.

A negative for some but not me is that it does not have a cd/dvd drive. An external one through usb will work when needed, though.

Review of a few netbooks below.
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/featur ... tbooks.htm

You'll be happy with it if you get one. :)
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby stbuch » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:15 pm

:throw PC: The good news is that most campgrounds seem to be aware of our addictions to the internet and provide service. I have not been to any this year that did not have wifi.

Sherrie
Good grief, isn�t it the weekend yet?
Maybe if I sleep in the camper the week
will pass faster�
stbuch
The 300 Club

Postby Elumia » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:44 am

If you don't use the internet often, you may want to check out if you can use your cell phone as a tethered modem. Depending on use, it may be less costly than having a cell phone and a dedicated broadband card for your laptop. With this method, you use Wi-fi if you can get it (especially if it is free) and cell phone as back-up.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Return to Off Topic