Studded tires

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Studded tires

Postby 4123 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:56 am

Hi there. Has anyone ever put studded tires on their teardrop? Did they work good? Were they necessary? We will be towing our TD in mountainous, icy conditions soon and I'm wondering if they would be a good idea. Thanks.
~~~Ron & Olga Christianson~~~
http://www.museumphones.com
"Consider It ALL entertainment"
ImageImageImage
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:11 am

Ron...I've had studs on powered wheels in Alaska, pulled trailers without them in snow up there with no problem, didn't bother with them on the car in Colo. The DOT usually requires them to be off a vehicle by a certain time of year. They can tear up the road. You might try a siped tire instead. It slices grooves into the tires, using a spiral knife, doesn't remove any material, don't know if you can get them done where you are, but at the larger tire places in Colo, they will do it for a fee, don't know about out here. A lot of the large tractor/ trailers run siped tires, or at least they used to. I've had both...I prefer the siping, don't need 2 sets of tires, on a tear...I don't think you'd need either, but that's just my opinion...just remember that you have one behind you and use your head....Doug

http://www.lesschwab.com/siping.asp

Stud info here:

http://training.ce.washington.edu/WSDOT ... _tires.htm
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby greasywheats » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:27 pm

Ron - I'm hoping your post gets some more replies...I have been interested in taking the TD up to Mt Hood and Bend during the winter and haven't been able to figure out the physics of towing a TD trailer in the snow! Mine has electric brakes, so I'm thinking with some stud tires on it, it should be even safer than driving the car alone with studded tires? The ability to increase the brakes manually on the trailer in the event the car started to lose control (spin) on a downhill (my big fear as its happened to me before) should help in straightening things out right?
I'm sure there's some experienced foul-weather drivers out there that can opine...
:thumbsup:
greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Postby brian_bp » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:33 pm

A general rule of thumb is to apply traction-improving techniques consistently to all axles, to maintain safe control. For instance, when a vehicle uses snow tires, it should use them front and rear; when chain are required in some areas, they are required on any trailer axles with brakes. The same logic would say if you need studs on the tug, you may need studs on the trailer so it stays under control (that is, when the tug turns the trailer can turn with it instead of sliding out).

Even given the above, I think non-studded ice tires are probably a reasonable compromise, and even all-seasons may be adequate.

Siping is a good technique for ice traction, but I think that all modern winter tires are siped - I haven't seen any without siping for years. I would just pick decently hard-wearing winter-worthy non-studded tires for the trailer, and if I wasn't willing to have two sets of wheels I would use them year-round.

I realize that the Les Schwab page says that tires do not come from the manufacturer with sipes, but that's simply incorrect.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby emiller » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:37 pm

I don't believe studded tires will have any effect on the trailer, they don't steer or power the vehicle. Although not they might keep the trailer from fish tailing coming down a hill or mountain. If the road is that icy I wouldn't take my trailer because of the added weight your pulling could get you stuck somewhere people wouldn't be traveling because of the weather.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:33 pm

According to safety officials here in Finland and our Scandinavian Countries.

If you use studded tires on your vehicle they are to be used on your trailer as well. If All Season Radials Are used on your vehicle they are to be used on your trailer.

So all type of tires are the same all the way around. And if not you,ll get ticketed if stopped.

So right now we have studded tire on our car and I am not allowed to pull the trailer with the summer tires on it.

Opinions may vary on this issue but the Law is what we must abide by.

And yes they due help greatly when the same tires are applied on vehicle as on trailer or caravan (Especially here) Its been tested by Nokia as well.

Classic Finn ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:38 pm

Classic Finn wrote:Its been tested by Nokia as well.

Classic Finn ;)

They put studded tires on phones over there???? 8) 8) :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:17 pm

In MI we are not allowed to run studded snows. But studless snows are okay, which is what I have on the car. It's a vast improvement over the all season tires that were on there.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:25 pm

Nitetimes wrote:
Classic Finn wrote:Its been tested by Nokia as well.

Classic Finn ;)

They put studded tires on phones over there???? 8) 8) :lol:

:thumbsup: :lol: :lol: I dont have any on mine (yet) :lol:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby 4123 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:31 pm

Of course a person wouldn't purposefully take the teardrop out when you know its icy. However, in this country you can run into extremely icy conditions without any prior notice. It happens quite often in the winter months. It most likely isn't of much concern in the 'flatlands' but here where we live there isn't much flatland. The roads are either up, down or banked. Obviously I'm not concerned about forward traction on our TD. Or, even braking traction. I'm worried about side to side traction. Example: There is a gridlock of vehicles sliding into each other on what we call in this area "boilerplate ice" I have successfully weaved my way through such jams many times with nary a scratch. (look at this video of vehicular mayhem in Portland Oregon, a common occurrence!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCoxOReXlHI
If I get caught in a situation such as this while pulling a TD, I'm wondering if the studded tires will give me a better chance to make it through the gauntlet. My guess is yes. I simply wanted some feedback from anyone who already uses studded tires on their TD and how did it work?
:thinking:
~~~Ron & Olga Christianson~~~
http://www.museumphones.com
"Consider It ALL entertainment"
ImageImageImage
The 300 Club

Postby Gary and Cheri » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:33 pm

In Wisconsin, studded tires are not legal and probably not needed most times. Blizzak came out with snow tires that are studded with a plastic/nylon stud that are legal here and are supposed to be great on ice. I would not think that they would make much difference on a trailer except for one with brakes which most tears don't have.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby H@nk » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:12 pm

Classic Finn wrote:According to safety officials here in Finland and our Scandinavian Countries.

If you use studded tires on your vehicle they are to be used on your trailer as well. If All Season Radials Are used on your vehicle they are to be used on your trailer.

So all type of tires are the same all the way around. And if not you,ll get ticketed if stopped.

So right now we have studded tire on our car and I am not allowed to pull the trailer with the summer tires on it.

Opinions may vary on this issue but the Law is what we must abide by.

And yes they due help greatly when the same tires are applied on vehicle as on trailer or caravan (Especially here) Its been tested by Nokia as well.

Classic Finn ;)

This will be my next gadget, a nokia with all weather tires on it, can I safe calling in the snow :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Old bread isn't hard, no bread, that's hard.
H@nk
The 300 Club

Postby emiller » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:36 pm

When I lived in Portland studs did well most of the time but did hit the curbs a few times even with studded tires. Are they still allowing studded tires in Portland, seams to me they where talking about doing away with studded tires when I was living there back in the 80's.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:41 pm

Oregon allows them Nov. 1- April 5. It's a 145$ fine after that if caught with them on, according to ODOT. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:48 pm

The 'studless" tires are the preference of taxi guys in Juneau. Blizzaks, Michelin Ice-x, or other soft compound tire. They don't last as long, but they work really well and you don't have to changeover from studs in the spring. We put a set of the Ice-X on Marcia's Element this winter and she feels safer....I'm kinda an "all season" radial guy myself...
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Next

Return to General Discussion