Spring package......what to use??

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Spring package......what to use??

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:11 pm

I had this tagged onto another thread but wanted as much feedback as quickly as possible. so started a new topic. I have an 1100# tear and only 1500# worth of springs under it. I was towing it 75 mph + and flattened them out before Minden. I was unable to attend the seminar due to a back injury. Is there some sort of rule of thumb or formula. I want to tow at freeway speeds, be under control without bouncing, and not hammer the tear. I got a reply from Woody (thanks) but need more opinions and experiences. Thanks in advance. Doug Hodder :thinking:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Chris C » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:02 pm

Hey Doug, I don't know how I missed this thread, but thought I'd take the time to comment. Hope you hadn't given up on someone responding! :lol:

I've had a couple of utility trailers on springs which "bottomed out" as yours did. I was told to double the expected maximum to be carried and use that as the spring capacity. I did and have never had another problem. But keep in mind that was for a utility trailer and when it was empty it danced around behind the vehicle like a cat on a hot tin roof. Don't think you'd want that pretty woody doing that! Personally I'm sold on torsion axels and have never heard even one complaint about them.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby doug hodder » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:13 pm

Chris C...had some correspondence with MadJack....he has some truckin' background as do I, but I've killed too many brain cells to remember what I needed to do. The local supplier thought that I had way too much weight on the springs continously. 1100# all the time with no relief. He thought I should go with 2250#. MadJack, in some personal e-mails seemed to agree that I should allow 40% + additional....After Minden, I could shake the side of the trailer and it was really mushy.......I've had both axle types, but since I built this one with springs, just beefed them up....I'm sure it'll be fine....I don't have an opinion either way....this is what I did. On my previous trailer however, my torsions were in 2 seperate tubes and 1 sat fore of the other, so in addition to independent, they were seperated by about 2 inches, so it was a super smooth ride....Some original Kit trailers with torsions were done like this, I had a '49, allowing the axle to really walk over any bump....I have caught heat on this before, (I'm nuts!!) but cross checked with RW Johnson and he knew what I was talking about.... Doug Hodder
Last edited by doug hodder on Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby madjack » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:27 pm

...Doug, I have come across the axle seperation deal before, I just didn't recall it before you mentioned it...that would really help smooth out some of the expansion joints on the lovely concrete byways of Mareika(hmmmm, andrew has me doinit now :lol:)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:39 pm

Madjack...I have tried to get people to believe that trailer axle alignment only means wheels parallel to each other...they don't have to be in alignment with each wheel. I've pulled tandem axels with 2 opposing flat tires and just chained up the front or back portion of the axle and it pulled fine. Just limited the load...I guess it's just an old farmer trick...Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby madjack » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:01 am

...chaining up an axle is also an old truckers trick...done it before myself...more than once...it'll get ya down the road to the repair shop
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby angib » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:05 am

doug hodder wrote:On my previous trailer however, my torsions were in 2 seperate tubes and 1 sat fore of the other, so in addition to independent, they were seperated by about 2 inches, so it was a super smooth ride....

Surprisingly common in cars as well. In the 70s and 80s, a lot of Renaults such as the 5 (or Le Car for you guys) had trailing arm rear suspension and the rear wheels were offset about 2 inches so the torsion bars could run all the way across the car.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Arne » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:00 am

That's probably back when they had wound springs or torsion bars/rods (ala Chrysler).... now I guess they use rubber parts that are only inches long.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques