Potty problem

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Potty problem

Postby Cindy » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:36 pm

Hey guys,
I hate for one of my first posts to be a potty problem post. Dave made me a wonderful potty shelter. I ordered a hassock type of portable potty with the deodorizer packets and the liquifier packets.
We just came home from 2 days out with that set up and it was a stinky situation. Can anybody help with what I did wrong? Is this type of potty just not a workable situation? :thumbdown:
Cindy
Hot Cindy
My goal is to really live my life. I want to take risks, make a difference, and know that I have done all I can do to give hope to others.
Cindy
500 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:04 pm

...never used one of those type but we have thetford porta-potty and find it works well(you can still smell the deodorizer)

madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:19 pm

Cindy,
I have both a Thetford type porta-potti, as MadJack mentioned and one of these:
http://www.nrsweb.com/pett.asp?tn=134

We use the Thetford type porta-potti that flushes in our bigger trailer where it can stay in it's closet until I get it home. What I like about this one is it "flushes" everything away. Say my folks stop by on our property without toilet facilties, they could use this one too.
The bag style... well... you'd have to hand them their own bag :lol:

The "Pett toilet" is what we use strictly with the teardrop. Let's face it, a "bag" is a "bag" and maybe none of the "Let's make this smell nice" formulas are going to perhaps live up to our expectations.

What I like about the Pett toilet bags is they have some great "stuff" in them that seems to work pretty well and they fold up into a really strong outer bag for easy disposal.
The main downfall is they are VERY expensive.
A plus - VERY portable. I don't want to lug the Thetford style toilet in and out of the tow vehicle or teardrop with all it's chemicals,etc.

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:18 pm

beverlyt wrote:What I like about the Pett toilet bags is they have some great "stuff" in them that seems to work pretty well and they fold up into a really strong outer bag for easy disposal.
The main downfall is they are VERY expensive.
A plus - VERY portable. I don't want to lug the Thetford style toilet in and out of the tow vehicle or teardrop with all it's chemicals,etc.
Bev

I have the Pett also. You can see how small it is on my web page. It is the picture marked Emergency equipment. I made the outer box as a 'booster seat" since I am (or used to be) 6'4" and the Pett is rather short.

The "stuff" Bev mentioned does work well but it has it's own aroma. :roll: The package says a bag can be used several times, not at my camp site.
Just move the Pett house away from your tear and it will be fine. I got my Pett tent from Sportsman's Guide.
They seem to have different ones available all the time.

Enjoy the moment the Pett way. :lol:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Packin potty

Postby Guy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:41 pm

Check out these guys...they have some good products and prices.

http://www.packinpotty.com
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cutterpup » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:21 pm

Try these guys

http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm

Have you ever been stuck in the middle of nowhere with no place to go?
Has this happened to you? You're at the campsite or in the middle of nowhere and suddenly nature calls. What do you do? You squeamishly go looking for a quiet spot behind a bush to do your thing. You cautiously avoid the poison oak and ivy. As you carefully squat down and try to relax a snake suddenly comes slithering through the weeds and startles you. What a mess!
Now when nature calls you can go in comfort where ever you are with the one and only Bumper Dumper®. No more looking for the right spot, no more trying to balance while squatting, and no more surprises from creepy critters. Just park your vehicle in a nice secluded spot, plug the Bumper Dumper® in to your trailer hitch receiver, and VOILA!! A portable toilet sturdy enough to hold 500 lbs. and just as comfortable as using the bathroom at home. You can even set up a privacy screen for complete comfort.
:lol: :lol:

Dan
Last edited by Cutterpup on Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:42 pm

Hey Dan, your link doesn't work.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby toypusher » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:54 am

Here's the FIXED link: http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm

There is an extra [url] :oops: on the end of Dan's post.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:13 pm

Ugh! :thumbdown: Somebody else can have that one...........I'll keep my nice little PortaPotty.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby beverlyt » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:55 am

Cindy,
Another idea that I just heard about for bag style portapottis:

Buy a package of "Depends" and place one in the bottom of the porta-potti bag. Absorbent and has odor control.

This would be a easy to find product and might work pretty well.

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Laredo » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:04 pm

Depends, eh? i remember hearing about something kinda similar, a long time ago.

sportsmansguide sells a potty seat for a 5-gal plastic bucket. you can put a 'tall kitchen' trash bag inside, open and snapped under the seat, and add about a half pint of deodorizing kitty litter.

why a 'tall kitchen' trash bag? so that you can tie a knot, double it over, tie again and have a leakproof package.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby ceebe » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm

When i plan to make an extra long flight in my glider, i usually put a disposable diaper in a big ziplock bag. Works great. So the depends in the bottom o the bag is a good idea.
I disabled the relief tube after one of my crew, in a jocular frame of mind turned the end of the tube into the airflow. Nothing like a 100 mph breeze :D
ceebe
Teardrop Master

Postby Juli n Bill » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:29 pm

I have the hassock style portapotti and I ended up using tall kitchen garbage bags and kitty litter. Worked great and I could just take out the bag and throw it in the garbage. I hate that blue stuff and then you have to haul the bucket to the restroom to dispose of it. yuck! I really like the hassock style because when not in use it works as a small stool for putting on your shoes in the morning and it doesn't look like a portapotti at first glance.
Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby mexican tear » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:16 am

I save the old saw dust that is collected in the bag on the table saw. It smells pretty good and absorbs the waste.
Last edited by mexican tear on Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:54 am

Okay, the spam is deleted and all those curious messages have been cleaned up!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Camping Secrets