The 12 Volt Side of Life

Anything electric, AC or DC

The 12 Volt Side of Life

Postby BobR » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:07 am

Here is a link I recently found that is of interest to builders...

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby DavidRaud » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:54 pm

DavidRaud
Donating Member

Postby catrinka » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:04 pm

Those articles were really helpful and I think I'm actually starting to understand this stuff a bit. But....how do I actually make the connections. I have 12 volt rv lights and I have wire. How do I connect the 2 together? And, how do I hook the wire up to the fuse block? I need some basic info that I haven't been able to find. Help!!!
catrinka
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:20 pm

You can get crimp on connectors (spade-like with insulation). Most autoparts places carry them and can explain how to use them. I like to solder any connection that it will not be likely that I will have to disconnect it again for any reason. Actually connections to your fuse box may depend on the type of fuse box (or panel) that you are using. If it is an auto type (ATO) then the spade connectors are what you need. Your fuse box might just use screw down type also. In that case, just strip back the wire, insert it and tighten the screw.

I don't know if there are books out there for wiring automotive, but that might be something to look for.

Kerry

EDIT: I forgot to say that when I solder a connection, I either use electrical tape to wrap it or put heatshrink tubing over the wire before making the connection. After the connection is soldered, just slide the tubing over the connection and heat it with a heat gun (a blow dryer) or just a match. Also forgot to say that you can twist the wires together and us a wire nut, then wrap the nut and wire with electrical tape.
Last edited by toypusher on Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby catrinka » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:24 pm

Here is the fuse block that I bought today.

catrinka
500 Club

Postby catrinka » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:28 pm

Are the wire nuts like the ones used in house wiring and do I get the same ones that are used in houses? Do they come in different sizes?
catrinka
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:28 pm

You fogot to put the 'Img' tag at the end of the name of the picture.

It appears to be an automotive type and you use the little spade (female) connections that just crimp on the wires and then plug onto the spades (male) on the fuse box.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:30 pm

catrinka wrote:Are the wire nuts like the ones used in house wiring and do I get the same ones that are used in houses? Do they come in different sizes?

Yes, you would only need small ones. Sorry, I am not familar with the names of the sizes. Ask for the size that is designed for the size wire that you are using.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby catrinka » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:31 pm

Thanks for your help Kerry. I tried to find a book at Chapters today on wiring and the guy there just looked at me like I was nuts. Maybe I am :lol:
catrinka
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:34 pm

catrinka wrote:Thanks for your help Kerry. I tried to find a book at Chapters today on wiring and the guy there just looked at me like I was nuts. Maybe I am :lol:

Try an Auto parts supply place. I will try to do some research on the internet for you also.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby catrinka » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:39 pm

Looking at the diagrams again, do I also need another block for the ground wire?
catrinka
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:43 pm

What you need is called a "Ground bus bar" and can be found in the electrical section of Lowes or Home Depot. I will take some pics of my setup (that is still a work in progress) and post them to give you a better understanding of what you need. It may be a little later tonight or maybe tomorrow until I can get them taken and posted.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby catrinka » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:48 pm

That would be great Kerry. Thanks.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:12 pm

I picked up mine from Binnacle Canada:
http://ca.binnacle.com/online/product.a ... %5Fid=3095
Along with some round vents. I bought enough stuff to get free shipping........
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:13 pm

Catrinka,

Here is a shot of my setup for the fuse panel and just above it is a ground bus bar. Do not let the wire colors confuse you. I am using two different size wires and they are speaker wires, so some do not have two seperate colored wires (they are both the same, just one has some black dots on it) Just remember that the ground wire goes to the bus bar and the 'hot' wire goes to the fuse panel.

This picture shows a wire stripper (yellow handles), a crimp tool (red handles), a piece of 12gauge speaker wire, and two female spade connectors.

This picture shows the wire stripped and the connector slipped on it

This one shows the connector in the crimp tool and the wire crimped in the connector

Another shot of the connector being crimped onto the wire.

Hope this helps clarify my previous posts.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets