Torsion Axles with splines

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Torsion Axles with splines

Postby DanD » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:29 am

Greetings all....

Does anyone know which torsion axle manufacturers offer an suspension/axle that the start angle can be changed via a spline? I need a lightweight axle in the 5-600 lb area for a little trailer a guy wants me to build. I bought a set of Reliable torsion axles but their start angle is about 40 degrees. I want to be able to lower the trailer to get it more inline with the hitch on his bike.

Some of the axle manufacturer web sites dont carry enough info....(Reliable)

any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Dan
DanD
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:06 am

The Flexiride comes with a forged swing arm that mounts onto a splined shaft at the axle ends.
Changing ride height is possible with this unit, but I don't know if they have axles rated for the weight you are looking for.
Go to the links section and look up etrailer and then call Southwest Wheel in Texas, they will be able to answer that one.

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:09 am

...the Flexiride torsion axle has adjustable torsion arms, it is only available from http://www.etrailerpart.com/ . I don't know about Reliable but Dexter Torqflex can be ordered with whatever start angle you wish...I have the Flexiride and I believe Camp-Inn also uses them however they are about 50/60 bucks more expensive than the Dexter/Reliable. You will have to pay shipping from Lubbock(sp?)Tx. while the others may be found locally
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:29 pm

Say, Madjack, what made you purchase the Flexride instead of Dexter Torqflex? I don't know enough about wheels, brakes and axels to make an informed purchase. Could use all the learned advice possible.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby ralaco » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:34 pm

You can order from:

UCF Flexiride manufactures and markets the Flexiride® rubber torsion axle.

http://www.ucfamerica.com/
800-225-1845
856-488-1800
Fax: 856-488-9636
E-mail: [email protected]

:twisted:

Raul
ralaco
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:27 pm

...Chris, at the time I had found all 3 brands(Flexi, Dexter, Reliable) to be about the same price. I liked the ability to adjust the start angle on the Flexi, so I ordered it having no idea, at the time, what start angle I wanted. I have found since, that my local welding supply is a Redneck Trailer Supply dealer and has the Dexter for $159+no shipping Vs. $220+$45 shipping for the Flexiride.
I didn't know about UCF, the link that Ralaco has posted, until now. So the next time I will have to check directly with them to see if I can get the Flexi any cheaper, otherwise I will go with the Dexter, set at a 0degree start angle. However, I really like Flexi's versatility of adjustment, allowing you togo from lowrider to off road with the same axle setup
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Cary Winch » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:41 pm

The Flexiride units are sold through an interesting dealer network. This is what you find on th UCF site. The dealers buy the components. Then the customer tells the dealer what hub to hun dimension they want and what bracket to bracket dimension they want. The dealer cuts the tube and presses in the cartridges to the customers specs. Perfect for the homebuilder who is doing one or even a manufacturer who has multiple axle height setting like us. Then with the splined shafts you configure it perfectly to your unit. Well worth the extra few dollars in getting rid of headaches.

There are dealers all over the US. We get ours from John's Trailers INC. in Ohio.

Don't compare the Reliables to these. In the industry Reliable axle is considered a oxymoron. My advice is to stay away from those.

Flexiride does not have the low rated axles. Henschen does though. These are also very high quality axles.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:46 pm

Madjack, as I understand it, the Dexter is a full-width axle and the Flexiride is two assemblies independant of each other. Is that correct? I really like the ability to adjust the start angle of the Flexride for just the reason you describe. Is aligning the two Flexiride axles a problem?

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris C

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:49 pm

...no Chris, the flexiride can be had as either stub or full length...mine is full length
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:56 pm

Good! :thumbsup: Thanks. :applause: I'd pretty much decided on the Flexiride but was really aprehensive about some way to really make sure they were aligned correctly. :thinking: Sure don't want to waste money scrubbing tires on the pavement. Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Chris C on Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris C

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:57 pm

...Cary, I would like to continue to use the flexiride, but with a $100 difference in price that is hard to justify. I tried googleing Johns Trailers Inc in Ohio and couldn't find them. I guess I will haveta email ucfam and see if I can find a cheaper price than Southwest Wheel
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:03 pm

Cary, I've also a question about which axle to purchase. I'm shooting for a weight of 1,000# or less. I think I've read in the past it's important to get an axle capable of twice the expected weight of the trailer so it will ride smoother and not bounce. Is there any credence to that, or should I buy an axle capable of carrying 1,000?

Chris C

Postby asianflava » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:08 pm

[quote="madjack"]I liked the ability to adjust the start angle on the Flexi, so I ordered it having no idea, at the time, what start angle I wanted.[ /quote]

I too had this problem. I just decided to split the difference and pick the middle ground 0deg - 45deg, I think I'll get the 22.5deg. Lucky for me it worked out.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:15 pm

...Chris, you should shoot for an axle capacity around 50% greater than your load. This would mean an axle capacity of around 1500#'s for your application...this advice is from someone(me) with over 2million mile operating 18 wheelers(amongst my other accomplishments). If you want to see an example of why, checkout Doug Hodders experience on his trip to Minden.
madjack 8)

p.s. you also need to take into account the weight of the gear you may possible carry(and I mean all of it)in the trailer...now and in the future
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:36 pm

Believe me, I trust your opinion, Madjack. You OTR haulers know things about trailers I'll never understand completely. I used to own two 45', smooth-sided trailers and a rig to haul them..................but all I did was pay the driver and all the repair bills. So I'm no authority about wheels, axles, etc.

Chris C

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques