Puffin 2

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:16 pm

I've built the dropped floor box. I will drop it in place tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Box is made from 3/4" ply and 1/2" ply. The sides are screwed together to keep the shape. I then came back with epoxy and made epoxy fillets.

I also used fiberglass tape to give it even more strength. The cool thing about the dropped floor is I could also use it as a wet-out box! I went the fiberglass tape in the bottom of the box, then I peeled the pieces up and pressed them into place.

Box is epoxied and glassed. You can see extra fiberglass tape sticking out at the top. I'll trim those pieces after it dries.

Box measures 44" x 18" x 10" deep. That gives a 6' clearance inside the camper. I'll have to bend my head just a bit (I'm 6'1") but I'll be able to change clothes standing up! :woohoo:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TinKicker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:35 pm

Oh...didn't know you didn't still have that one. I thought this one would make two in the yard.
I guess you WILL have to git it if you're going to be camping by break time.
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:49 pm

Applied paint to the fender wells and water guard I added today to keep water out of the rear curve.

The tires are about to go back on and I'm going to pull it in the garage and finish the door & interior.

�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:56 pm

steve wolverton wrote:Applied paint to the fender wells and water guard I added today to keep water out of the rear curve.

The tires are about to go back on and I'm going to pull it in the garage and finish the door & interior.

before you put those wheels back on, take some time to apply a little grease to the slipper spring at the point in the rear where it makes contact with the frame :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Creamcracker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:50 pm

steve wolverton wrote:The drip cap arrived today. I'm planning to get the drip cap installed, and the door trim tomorrow. I'll also get the dropped floor box built and start fiberglassing it.

Where di you buy this drip cap? I bought a pair some time ago but at the ends -- in order to get the bend they are crushed/pressed/concertina together --(if you can understand that)

Any way yours look better
Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:49 pm

Creamcracker wrote:Where di you buy this drip cap? I bought a pair some time ago but at the ends -- in order to get the bend they are crushed/pressed/concertina together --(if you can understand that)

Any way yours look better
Philip

I got them from mobile-mart's Amazon store.

http://www.amazon.com/Phillips-30-Alumi ... 099&sr=1-2

They ship is a cardboard rolled tube so they don't get bent. :thumbsup:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:57 pm

I've been working on the door for what seems like forever! I've just about finished. I'm going to put one final coat on the outside in a bit. I then have to put a little caulk on the trim and the door is finished.

I pulled the 1/4" angle off and bought some 3/4" angle for the door trim. This looks much better, and I added some weather stripping.

3/4" angle with weather stripping.

My camera flash always washes the vinyl color out - it's very white. I'll get some pics in the sun tomorrow. The bottom panel in the door is insulated with 3/4" insulation and wrapped in marine vinyl. The top panel is painted with the window. It took forever to paint that door! :x

If you notice on the bottom of the camper I finally got the dropped step painted. I'll wipe the floor down after installing the dropped floor and put a final coat. I had enough trim left over from the door that I trimmed the counter front with 3/4" aluminum. I used the 1/4" for trim on the back of the counter.

14 hours and still going at it. :? I'm about to break out the sewing machine and make some fitted sheets.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:40 am

Fitted sheets.

Converted for sleeping.

Pooped - calling it a night. :SH
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:38 pm

I thought it made more sense to split the Beach Cruiser off into it's own thread, since there is such a nice collection of photos and information related to it.

It's here...
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=27696

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:05 pm

I got the dropped floor screwed in place today. I'm about to glass it in, and then vacuum, wipe the floors, and put the final coat on the floor.

Floor is in.

The door is ready. I'm very pleased with my door.

The door now has the wider 3/4" aluminum.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby shopfabricator » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:15 pm

Really Lookin' Good Steve! :awesome:
If any of your e-bay "watchers" are following the finish you WILL be building another!

Gary
...materials can no longer be purchaced at quite those prices mentioned here!
shopfabricator
Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:11 pm

I got the first coat on the dropped floor. Should be finished tonight.

�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:03 pm

Now that I'm keeping the camper I get to start tricking it out for me. :twisted:

Does anyone know where I could find some some type of catch that would hold a 1/2" piece of conduit? I'm not sure what it's called, but the pipe would be pressed into the catch, and held by friction.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wimperdink » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:18 pm

steve wolverton wrote:Now that I'm keeping the camper I get to start tricking it out for me. :twisted:

Does anyone know where I could find some some type of catch that would hold a 1/2" piece of conduit? I'm not sure what it's called, but the pipe would be pressed into the catch, and held by friction.

On the end of the pipe or in the middle like a hanger? (anxiously awaiting description of this plan)
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:20 pm

Wimperdink wrote:On the end of the pipe or in the middle like a hanger? (anxiously awaiting description of this plan)

In the middle. It's a catch where the pipe/tube will snap into the holder. The pipe/tube is pressed into it. To release you just pull it out. There has to be a name for it, but I just don't know what they're called. Friction clamp or something. I dunno. :?

I've seen them on folding table legs where the snaps keep the legs from flopping around.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques