How to add fenders later?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

How to add fenders later?

Postby bennelson » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I am building a 4x8 cubby.

I would like to use the wheels, fenders, and taillights that came with the Harbor Freight trailer frame. I don't really like the look, but I figure that I have them, and they are paid for.

Right now, I just want to get the trailer done, but I want to make it look nice later,

So my question is, how do I build the trailer so that I can add nice big fenders later?

What extra framing do I put in the walls? How would I attach those future fenders? Bolts, screws?

How would I do this?
still no idea what i'm doing...
bennelson
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:06 pm

The HF trailers already have "holes" in the sides for the fender mounts, which attach to the fenders, but...

It's no big deal to drill 2 holes in different places for each mount, attached with simple bolts and locking nuts. However, the size and placement of the fenders you're considering may interfere with the door opening, so it's pretty imprtant to determine this early.

If you make your door openings far forward, and you have the axle moved back--which you seem to have done by your avatar-- you should be okay.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby An Ol Timer » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:22 pm

Bennelson,

I used the HF lights also but in order to hide the wires from the frame to the lights I drilled a ½" hole in the frame and also into the side of the light.
I placed a piece of 3/8" ID through the hole in the frame and into the hole in the light.
Inside the light I put a small plastic tie on the hose to keep it from pulling out of the light.
I rerouted the wires from inside the frame through the hose and into the light.
================================
I also soldered a white to the short white ground wire at the plug end of the wiring harnessand brought it along with the other wires to the lights. Each wire that branched off to a light was wrapped and soldered, and then wrapped with tape. No wire nuts or clips, and every light had it's own ground wire, no relying on the frame for grounding.
I drilled 1/8" holes about every 2' along the top inner side of the frame and used these to strap the wires to the frame with plastic ties.
All in all it made for a neat, secure installation, up out of sight and with every light having its own dedicated ground and no wires showing.
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:26 am

I still haven't done my lights, and I'm hoping it's not going to be a big deal. For now, I just plan on mounting the HF lights on the trailer, running the wire under/along the frame.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:55 pm

Put your taillights in the hatch. That way you can use whatever fender you want and you don't have to worry about snagging them on anything.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby xe1ufo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:51 am

Bruce (bdosborn):

What is that on the right side-corner that looks like a latch of some kind?

Steve, central Mexico
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Postby Ken A Hood » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:15 am

It's a draw latch. It's used to pull the hatch tight to the sidewalls. The cubby plans (which I'm going to build from) also use them, since the 2-point latch (garage door type) has some play in it, and is hard to adjust.
I plan on using something like THESE
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:38 pm

xe1ufo wrote:Bruce (bdosborn):

What is that on the right side-corner that looks like a latch of some kind?

Steve, central Mexico

Ken's right, its a draw latch. I highly recommend getting an adjustable one if you get one. I got mine from Austin Hardware.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques