A Removable Galley?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

A Removable Galley?

Postby xe1ufo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:54 pm

Here is a wild one:

Has anybody tried building a Teardrop with a completely removable galley? Think about these possiblities:

1. Use trailer for another purpose, such as transporting cargo.

2. Use the galley independently from the Teardrop. (How about for a backyard cookout?)

3. Extend sleeping area.
:thinking:
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Yes It can be done

Postby Dee Bee » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:15 pm

I am building my TD called a Zephyr with a removable galley. The pannel behind the galey can be removed so the TD can be used to haul cargo, lumber, plywood etc.

http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Micro%20CamperGalleyDetails.htm I am still working on the final aspects of the galley draws etc. Thiswill essentailly be a box that will contain the "kitchen draws and stove. It will lift out as a box.

DEE BEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Re: A Removable Galley?

Postby brad vk2qq » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:27 pm

xe1ufo wrote:Here is a wild one:

Has anybody tried building a Teardrop with a completely removable galley? Think about these possiblities:

1. Use trailer for another purpose, such as transporting cargo.

:thinking:

OK Steve, my Tearshack is in the planning stages, metal roof for groundplane, solid mounting point for HF vertical. I do not like calling my radios "cargo" but the idea of swapping out a galley for a desk and radio rack has it's appeal, until someone gets hungry.

I need to find one of these little yellow smiley guys with a microphone! :baby: This was close second.

73's
brad vk2qq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby IraRat » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:18 pm

Brad--no one's judging you and I wish to heck you're doing this because I have a history with this, but...

Are you by any chance building a mobile radio station? One that, ahem, has small wattage and is kind of hard to locate?

COOL!!!
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby pkrfanatic » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:43 pm

My original design had incorporated a removable galley, but then from reading about issues in other areas of this forum with stability i changed my mind. It sounds like the galley adds a lot of integrity to the trailer, which makes sense. My new design(work in progress) will have removable bottom cabinets and built in top cabinets. i wont be able to pull the lawn tractor in but will still be able to put building materials and such in. I'm also thinking of making the shell removable so then i can load bigger items if the need arises.
Mark
pkrfanatic
Teardrop Inspector

Postby xe1ufo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:13 pm

Hey Brad VK2QQ:

As you have probably guessed from my nickname, I am also a licensed Ham radio nut. XE1UFO in Mexico (author of the world's only Worked All UFO's Diploma) and KA5SUT in the U.S. I am planning my antenna, power and station location within the Teardrop.
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Postby brad vk2qq » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:26 am

IraRat wrote:Brad--no one's judging you and I wish to heck you're doing this because I have a history with this, but...

Are you by any chance building a mobile radio station? One that, ahem, has small wattage and is kind of hard to locate?

COOL!!!

You are half right. Small wattage radio station, probably remotely located, but completely legal. (Sorry to disappoint you there). See Dr Steve's reply. I know him from other groups that I tend to lurk around, but have yet to hear him on air. (20m PSK31 Steve, see you there)

I have spent the whole evening in deep discussions with my co-builder and still cannot make up my mind whether to have plywood walls, clad stick frames or what. Too many decisions! :cry:

The basic problem was that the original idea to use a commercially made sandwich of Stucco aluminium cladding on a 25mm styrene sheet with 6mm plywood interior cost about $270 a sheet, so Plan A went right out the window.

Apart from the cladding dilemma, I have the basic shape, interior design etc pretty firmly settled.

Brad
VK2QQ
brad vk2qq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby IraRat » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:44 am

I'm an old pirate radio guys from the 70s. (My friend was, actually. I just hung around and partied with him.)

We were terrified of the FCC, as if our 10 watts was going to hurt anyone.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby billnut » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:48 am

:D Heck i'm kf6gjh and i'm going to use a Buddipole and a
Yaesu FT 897 in a HU-4 .
Bill :twisted:
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:01 am

billnut wrote::D Heck i'm kf6gjh and i'm going to use a Buddipole and a
Yaesu FT 897 in a HU-4 .
Bill :twisted:

I think you and Bev need to talk.

She was spotted using a buddipole last summer at wamplers!

Mike...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:31 am

brad vk2qq wrote:The basic problem was that the original idea to use a commercially made sandwich of Stucco aluminium cladding on a 25mm styrene sheet with 6mm plywood interior cost about $270 a sheet, so Plan A went right out the window.

Apart from the cladding dilemma, I have the basic shape, interior design etc pretty firmly settled.

6mm is a little over a quarter inch, right? .361 inches--around 3/8."

Can't you put the aluminum right on the ply, although maybe a thicker piece? What's the styrene for? Insulation?
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Gage » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:56 pm

Talk about getting off topic _ Dr Steve, my galley, besides being a slide out, is removable. Accourse it takes me about 10 minutes to do it. You can see what I'm talking about on my construction pages.

Have a good day,
8) Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Galley

Postby Thomas B. » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:19 pm

A removable galley, it would not be too difficult.

I have a Chili and BBQ cookoff trailer that is 4x8 and I unload a full kitchen at each site. Mine has hot/cold running water with 110VAC on demand. (no generator is used).

So a removable galley would not be a chore. Keeping it small and compact would be the trick.

Cheers

:thumbsup:
You can talk the talk - But can you Taste The Heat?

www.tastetheheat.com

Sauces, Seasonings and More.
Thomas B.
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pkrfanatic » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:00 pm

I know(probably think) that i've seen this discussion somewhere before, but cant seem to find atm. Gage or anyone else that has a removable galley, have you removed it and used the trailer? was it sturdy enough to use w/o the galley installed? I would like to use my tear to haul on occasion also and the removable galley would give me a multifunctional trailer. Thoughts, suggestions, comments appreciated as i will be picking up my axle and tires in a couple more weeks and would like to get my plans somewhat finalized before i go further.
Mark
pkrfanatic
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gage » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:50 pm

Mark, I haven't but it can be done. Instead of latching your hatch to the floor, latch it to the sides. That way the hatch is part of the structure when closed. It would have to be a solid catch, no slop.

Only my thoughts, not for arguement.
Have a good day,
8) Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques