Is there enough of a demand for tds to start a business

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Is there enough of a demand for tds to start a profitable business ?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:02 pm

yes
18%
no
50%
maybe, explain
32%
maybe not, explain
No votes

Total votes : 34

Is there enough of a demand for tds to start a business

Postby Mike M. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:02 pm

Lets just say that you have done enough research and have come to the conclusion you can build a very nice td for under $3500.00, It would be a nice beginner model and ready to use. You already have the place and tools to build them, and you live in my area(not many, if any, td businesses here), Is it possible to start a profitable td building business?yes, no, why?
*UPDATE*

So lets just say that all the legal matters have been handled, as a matter of fact, all the first finances are no problem.. my real question is, in these times in our economy, do you think there is enough of a demand to start a legit business??
Last edited by Mike M. on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike M.
Teardrop Builder

Postby rbeemer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:13 pm

It all depends what you mean by profitable. If that is your sole income maybe not then again if your product is so outstanding that folks have to have it maybe so.

too many unknown factors for me to make that decision
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Joanne » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:22 pm

Like every small business, some make it and some don't. There are a number of established manufacturers that have been in business for quite some time and seem to have a good future. Others have come and gone.

There are a number of folks on this list who build and sell trailers on a smaller scale than the big manufacturers. I would suggest that you talk with some of these folks about their experience and get their input.

With the price point of teardrop trailers being relatively low, I can see where there would be a market. On the other hand you will need to find efficiencies in building that will allow you to make a reasonable profit.

I have no clue what leagal requirements there are as a trailer manufacturing, but I can imagine you would need significant liability insurance.

I don't mean to be discouraging in any manner, but rather point out some of the issues that you need to consider before spending your hard earned money on this type of endevor.

The Small Business Adminstration website has a lot of information on starting a small business.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Mike M. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:24 pm

rbeemer wrote:It all depends what you mean by profitable. If that is your sole income maybe not then again if your product is so outstanding that folks have to have it maybe so.

too many unknown factors for me to make that decision

Around here I think there is only one seller around here in the southwest corner of Ohio. We dont see too many teardrops around here, but people love to camp around here. The people that dont camp say they would, but they dont like tents and camper/ rvs are way too expensive. Im talking about taking baby steps. make 2 or 3 a year for the first 2 years on the side, 3rd year making it my sole income. Ive wanted to start my own business for many years now. Just never found a product I beleive in till now. So my answer to your question is yes, EVERYONE should have one.
Mike M.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mike M. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Joanne wrote:I have no clue what leagal requirements there are as a trailer manufacturing, but I can imagine you would need significant liability insurance.

I don't mean to be discouraging in any manner, but rather point out some of the issues that you need to consider before spending your hard earned money on this type of endevor.

The Small Business Adminstration website has a lot of information on starting a small business.

Joanne
Thank you for the input, Im not discouraged. This is how we learn, by asking questions.
Mike M.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mike M. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:16 pm

So lets just say that all the legal matters have been handled, as a matter of fact, all the first finances are no problem.. my real question is, in these times in our economy, do you think there is enough of a demand to start a legit business??
Mike M.
Teardrop Builder

Postby packerz4 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Mike M. wrote:So lets just say that all the legal matters have been handled, as a matter of fact, all the first finances are no problem.. my real question is, in these times in our economy, do you think there is enough of a demand to start a legit business??

you know, i think if you wanna do it you should! it's good to be cautious, but it's good to dream too!

i like the idea of an inexpensive 5' wide model. it seems that the low end entry models are always 4' wide models. i think you really need to build a few though and make sure you like doing it. what makes an awesome past time, may stink as a job?

mostly, if you believe in it... do it.

tk
~ Go Packers! ~
www.2bagalot.com
packerz4
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:33 pm

Teardrops are a way for people who don't have a lot of money, to build an RV that they can go camping in. That's one reason the forum is so popular, and also the reason that most builders that go into the business drop out. They can't compete against the home owner building his dream, that doesn't have to charge for his hours.

Now having said that, there are a few teardrop builders that are still in business. But it's a tough market. Look at Camp-Inn Teardrops for example.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Teardrop business proposal

Postby Creamcracker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:58 pm

Some time ago I wrote a paper for one of my classes that outlined a proposal to open a new business -- I chose a Teradrop Business. If anyone is interested the link below should take you to the proposal. Then click on attachment "TeardropBusiness.doc"

Philip

https://sites.google.com/site/padrespage/page-3
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby Mike M. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:02 pm

mikeschn wrote:Teardrops are a way for people who don't have a lot of money, to build an RV that they can go camping in. That's one reason the forum is so popular, and also the reason that most builders that go into the business drop out. They can't compete against the home owner building his dream, that doesn't have to charge for his hours.

Now having said that, there are a few teardrop builders that are still in business. But it's a tough market. Look at Camp-Inn Teardrops for example.

Mike...

Camp-inn was the teardrop i fell in love with. The price is outragous. $7000 for the base model, but i understand why. showroom quality, cost of labor,etc..... too bad they dont have a place closer to me, I would just go work for them
Mike M.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gary and Cheri » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:12 pm

My uncle sold minnows from St. Paul MN to Madison WI and my dad always did his taxes. Dad was always amazed that as the economy went south my uncle raked in the cash. Seems as though recessions cause people to look for cheaper entertainment, like a day of fishing, when the economy is bad. When it is good those same people were buying jet skiis and waterskiing instead of fishing and my uncle would make next to nothing.

I'm figuring this summer it will be harder to get camp sites as more people will try spending a cheap weekend in a tent instead of renting the cabin. Tenting is not for everyone. Just as in the late 40s people looked for something more substantial to sleep in. I'm always reading about people, myself included, who can not stop at a rest area without being approached by people who want to see the TD. I dreamed about getting a TD long before I took the step and you can see that same dream forming in the eyes of many who looked at mine.

If gas stays at about $2.50 and the economy stabilizes you just may have a business. Lots of variable though.

I notice you are from Ohio. I bought my trailer from the Pleasant Valley people of Ohio, so you do have some area competition.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Wimperdink » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:03 am

build one and put it up for sale. If it sells good enough and build more... figure out the demand before ya sink your life savings into it. You could build a quite a few before actually getting a business license and insurance and all that stuff. You would also get a very good idea of how the market for tears is in your area.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:17 am

Wimperdink wrote:build one and put it up for sale. If it sells good enough and build more... figure out the demand before ya sink your life savings into it. You could build a quite a few before actually getting a business license and insurance and all that stuff. You would also get a very good idea of how the market for tears is in your area.

:thumbsup: What he said! Also use the first to hone your skills, set up a work ethic and routine, and to buy the tools that you burn out. :oops: 8)

You will also want to keep a very good record of your time and expenses. That will tell you if you can make a living.

From what I have seen a lot of folks are making TD's and selling them, they are not necessarily making a living at it. :thumbsup: Would make a great hobby though.

See if you sell it for $3500, but it costs $2000 to make, you need to make 40 a year to gross $60,000 a year. That is 3.333 a month. Depending on where you live that is not much of a gross income. Ya gotta pay taxes too. :roll: :x
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mike M. » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:07 pm

To everyone who has commented, thank you. You have the same thoughts as I have, Just needed someone say it out loud..
Mike M.
Teardrop Builder

Postby greg755 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:35 pm

Don'T give up your day job.

Build them on the weekend as a hobby if you sell 2 or 3 then up the production.

If you go "self employed" You have a lot of things to pay for.
License
Permits
Social security taxes
Insurance
Just to name a few.

I agree with who
ever said build a 5 x 10 model.

If it were me I would offer only two models

A 5x 8 and a 5 x 10 to start off with.
I would sell them as shells: with nothing in them but pre wired for 12vt elec. They would have two doors with windows, a hatch, a vent, and basic lighting.

Then you can sell the options:

Add a bed : xxx dollars
Add 110: xxx dollars
Add a Galley: xxx dollars
Add a stove: xxx dollars.
Add cabinets: xxx dollars.
Add tool bow: xxx dollars.
etc etc etc

think you would make more on the accessories than trying to bundle it all together.

The biggest problem that new entrepreneurs don't factor in is "Marketing and Advertising"

You must have a marketing plan BEFORE you start and an Advertising budget to carry that plan out.

Just my 2 cents

Good luck
Greg
"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the firmest ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies, combining with other causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms of a powerful enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME 4:298, Papers 2:298
greg755
Grand Poobah

Next

Return to User Polls