Kentucky Campground Info Help

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Kentucky Campground Info Help

Postby Jst83 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:53 pm

I'm planning a vacation to Mammoth Cave the second week of June.
I was wondering if anyone in the area or that has been there could give me info on good camping?
I've looked up Barran River Lake State Park and Nolin lake State State Park. Has anyone stayed at either of these or possibly others in the area?

Thank you for any info on the area.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Mark72 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Is there any reason you Don't want to stay in the national park?

Here is a link for a great park I camped at in my childhood Great Times!!

http://www.beechbend.com/Home%20Page.htm

Mark
Last edited by Mark72 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:40 pm

A national park is fine, I was just wondering if anyone has stayed at either of these and is one nicer than the other. Or is there a nice private one, I'm open to any input.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Scott, you and the family will love mammoth cave.

There is a KOA very near by also.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:38 am

http://local.yahoo.com/results?stx=Campgrounds&csz=Cave+City%2C+KY&ycatfilt=96928364

Ya gotta stop one exit back at horse cave and visit Kentucky down under.
It is a Austrailan theme zoo with a tour by boat thru horse cave. The twins will go wild in the wallabe petting zoo.

Onyx cave campground has it's very own cave tour. There were some archilogical finds made there in the 60's. So it has a history. This on has interested me every time I go to Glasgow to visit my mom. I think this would be my choise for a private campgrounds.

Barren River is almost 40 miles south of Mammoth caves but Vic and I have driven thru and it is a horse nut and boaters dream. Riding paths and rental livery for guided riding tours. I am guessing pony rides too.I think they have to pipe in sunlight to the heavily shaded campgrounds. It was chained off for the winter when we were down so we couldn't actually enter the camping area. And did I say boats these are knock your eyes out gorgeious 53' yachts

Mom house backs up to highway 31 not even 6 miles from the barren river park entrance.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Mark72 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:32 pm

Bob, I didn't know your roots trace back to Glasgow. My Dad grew up there and we visited my aunts and uncles there regularly when I was growing up.

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:45 am

My roots are here the TREE got up an moved :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mom and my step dad were in South Bend and he was real tired of 3 and 4 foot snow falls and they went south.

If it weren't for 50 feet of water ( The Ohio river ) I could have been a child of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Was born in Madison, IN. You can see Kentucky from the hospital window. Unfortunatly I was to short at the time to see out the window. Come to think of it standing and walking were near impossible too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Mark72 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:16 pm

Well' thats what I get for reading something into your post! Assumption is the mother of all...

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby ParTaxer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:14 pm

We camp at Nolin State Park frequently. You won't find a nicer staff. Restrooms and showers are almost sterile. You are right on the lake and there is plenty of room between campsites. On your way to Mammoth Cave you can take a ferry across the river. Also, there is a restaurant about three miles away. I picked up the breakfast tab for four guys and we were stuffed. Bill = $18.00.
I camped at Baily's Point Campground at Barren River years ago. It's pretty crowded. Better make reservations early for that one. Nice, large campground on the water.
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby Dragonryder » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:22 am

Hey Mark72, I was just checking out the park you posted. It looks like a really nice park. I may have to give that a try if I ever finish my camper. Possibly by the middle of July. :thumbsup: Keeping my fingers crossed.
Have a great day and hoping the weather is great no matter where you are!!!

Signed, Me
Dragonryder
Teardrop Master

Postby Mark72 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:13 pm

It really is a nice park. One of my brothers is planning a trip with his kids this summer. I'll probably load up my kids and go also.

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Return to Midwest