wind generator

Anything electric, AC or DC

wind generator

Postby Mike M. » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:51 am

Look what I found at Walmart. Is it worth it?
Mike M.
Teardrop Builder

Re: wind generator

Postby jss06 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:01 am

Interesting, It looks like its about 4 ft diameter fo the blades. Would be an interesting project.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:02 am

...found it for 579USD(100USD cheaper) at Home Depot...Google is your friend............... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby TPMcGinty » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:15 am

Here it is for $499 with no taxes and free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-44444-12-Volt-400-Watt-Generator/dp/B000C1Z2VE

Amazon is a good place to look also.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:40 pm

We're building a small cabin and are looking into a wind generator. All the comforts...just no 110V.

All the lighting will be 12V RV stuff as well as an RV furnace and Water heater. Just 12Volts and propane.

My only concern is how this equipment will fare being unattended for long periods of time.

I know a small solar charger will work well for dormant batteries, just to keep activity in them, but I would be concerned about leaving a wind generator run for months at a time basically unused.

A larger solar panel would do it but then there's a theft issue, and if you had a big enough solar panel...why have a wind generator.

To start the wind generator up just when you got there would be a little counter productive.

Now using it on a shed on my property I would have no problems.

???:roll:

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Mike M. » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:31 pm

len19070 wrote:We're building a small cabin and are looking into a wind generator. All the comforts...just no 110V.

All the lighting will be 12V RV stuff as well as an RV furnace and Water heater. Just 12Volts and propane.

My only concern is how this equipment will fare being unattended for long periods of time.

I know a small solar charger will work well for dormant batteries, just to keep activity in them, but I would be concerned about leaving a wind generator run for months at a time basically unused.

A larger solar panel would do it but then there's a theft issue, and if you had a big enough solar panel...why have a wind generator.

To start the wind generator up just when you got there would be a little counter productive.

Now using it on a shed on my property I would have no problems.

???:roll:

Happy Trails

Len

Well, from what I gather, It would keep the batteries charged if it was left on. Most models you need something they call a load dump, when the batteries are fully charged, extra power needs to be released, same as solar. You could use porch lights, or even walking path lights, then people would think you were home. The wind generator above that we are talking about says it shuts itself off.. :thinking: Wonder if it needs a dump, or does the blades stop moving, like an internal braking system.. :thumbsup:
Mike M.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:44 pm

This should be everything you need to know about it.
Wind turbine manual
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Karl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:45 pm

If I bungie-cord that thing to the front of my trailer before heading up north for the weekend then drove non-stop for 3.87 hours at an average of 76.41 mph while sipping a large McDonald's sweet tea, will my trailer's battery be completely charged by the time I arrived if it was drained down to 32% at the beginning of the trip?
:thinking:

:lol:

Before deciding to buy a wind generator, check first with the local ordinance officer as to whether they are legal to put up plus if there are any other factors to consider such as height and noise limits. Then, if everything looks OK, decide whether it makes sense to get a blessing from any neighbors who might hear or see the thing, especially if they own rifles and like to target shoot while you're out of town.
Karl
Tear Jerkers Director - Great Lakes Chapter
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Postby brian_bp » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:52 pm

Mike M. wrote:...Most models you need something they call a load dump, when the batteries are fully charged, extra power needs to be released, same as solar.

I agree that if the wind-driven generator keeps turning when the batteries can no longer accept more charge, the power must be dumped somewhere. Solar panels, on the other hand, do not have this problem, since the controller can just disconnect them and they harmlessly produce no current (at relatively high voltage) into the resulting open circuit.

Some controllers do this switching of the generator output for you automatically, and I assume that would be a requirement of any useful wind-powered system.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby brian_bp » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:14 pm

Given the popularity of Harbor Freight among T&TTT members, I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned that they sell this product as well. Their site offers the manual for download, which is very informative... I found it there before getting to Rich's link to another source of the same manual.

As I recall the Sunforce brand, they don't build anything... in charge controllers they find and import products and distribute them here. In the case of the Air-X wind generator, the manual (from Harbor Freight, but its just the 2002 edition of the standard Air X manual) shows the manufacturer to be Southwest Windpower, which has a page for the Air X (including the manual and specs for downloading). Apparently this product has been in production for some time, and the more advanced version is the Air Breeze, which could explain why the Air X is being carried by Sunforce and widely sold even by retailers which carry "discount" merchandise. Regardless of vintage, the Air X appears to me to be a very nice product, with impressive features.

If an external regulator is used, one which diverts (dumps) output to an altenate load would be suitable; however, the Air X doesn't need that. It has its own regulator, and does shut itself down when its output cannot be used by the batteries. Very slick!

For alternate sources, Southwest Windpower has a dealer locator on their website.
Last edited by brian_bp on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: wind generator

Postby brian_bp » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:15 pm

jss06 wrote:Interesting, It looks like its about 4 ft diameter fo the blades.

Close... the specs say that is is 40" (one metre) in blade tip diameter.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lgboro » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:42 pm

Lgboro
500 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:46 pm

Nitetimes wrote:This should be everything you need to know about it.
Wind turbine manual
That and the fact that they were originally designed for boats (they now make 2 versions of it, one which supposedly survives life in the salt air better than the cheaper 'land based' version) - Anyway, when they first came out, boaters thought they must be too good to be true . . . . 400 watts from such a small and affordable package

Turns out, they ARE too good to be true - I won't spend an hour telling you what all is wrong with it . . . . the first one here who buys one can do that. I have a buddy on a sailboat who spent about $800 on one (including the pole) and he would happily take half that for it . . . . if his conscience would let him saddle someone else with it

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby Mike M. » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:52 am

Lgboro wrote:http://www.windpower.com/Wind_Blue_Lite_Breeze_Complete_Low_Wind_Kit_p/cy-low-kit.htm

Might be another option.

website cannot be found
Mike M.
Teardrop Builder

Postby mk10108 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:37 am

read through this website....

http://www.hydrogenappliances.com/
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets