Reasonably Priced Reading & Accent Lights

Anything electric, AC or DC

Reasonably Priced Reading & Accent Lights

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:01 pm

I've ordered from this guy twice now. He communicates very well along with excellent customer service.

12 Volt Led Lights/Sovereign Control also has an EBay store. I've use these lights with regular incandescent bulbs on two teardrops and will use them on my current build. At $12 a piece it's a reasonably priced adjustable light with a built in switch, great for reading when ceiling mounted. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby john » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:19 pm

My wife likes having a dimmer. It helps when maintaining the kids at night.

I got this for $19. The price has gone up since.

These are similar from the same vendor at $19.50.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350134181125&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby john » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:39 pm

I also picked up this for $10. ebay

I like the rock on rock off swivel.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby HobbyTalk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:24 pm

I found a few lights at this place that is pretty inexpensive ($7.25). There are other goodies there too.

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/index.p ... =2&&page=3

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com

Hank - HobbyTalk
HobbyTalk
Teardrop Inspector

LED's the way to go

Postby xrover » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:36 pm

I was watching an RV show today and they did a test on the power drain between LED vs Halogen or incandescent. LED's used 1/7th the draw than the halogens.
So, it looks like those who want to read late into the night, should settle on LED's.
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Postby Esteban » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:04 am

I want to use all LED lights to save battery power. I've been running into difficulty finding 12 volt LED light fixtures that are affordable, attractive, and functional. Sailor Sam's sells LED bulbs that can be installed in non LED fixtures which could possibly open up the choice of light fixtures. Except there seem to be too many different sockets for halogen and incandescent light bulbs and few sellers describe which socket/bulb a light uses. Thus making it nearly impossible to know if a replacement LED bulb would fit.

I've been looking for brass LED reading lights, that can be turned to point the light where you want it, to be installed in the ceiling and am coming up empty.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Steve, I know you said brass but Sovereign Control sells Chrome LED reading lights. His LED bulbs fit into regular 12 volt automotive sockets. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby mjg444 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:39 pm

I got one like this at Joe's (don' t know if you have Joe's down there). I don't know if you can get LED bulbs for them. I forget how much it was but it was under $20.00 as I remember. They swivel and turn on individually.

Michele
mjg444
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Esteban » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:45 am

:thumbsup: Michele, the brass aircraft type reading light in your picture looks like what I've been searching for. How do you like the light for reading? There's no Joe's bricks and mortar store in my area. Does Joe's have an internet store?

Danny's link to Sovereign Control has replacement LED bulbs that fit similar (maybe the same brand) black and chrome lights. I'll email Sovereign to ask if they have access to the light in brass.

:thumbsup: :applause: Thanks Danny and Michele for your help. I've held off enclosing my walls until I have the front reading lights, and wiring, figured out. This is looking favorable.

(later addition) I Googled "Joe's" and found websites for several Joe's sporting goods stores/chains. I couldn't find Michele's aircraft style reading light on either website. Darn.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby mjg444 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:31 pm

Hi Steve:

That actual light is in my galley. I bought one just like it for the inside but haven't installed it yet. I didn't build my teardrop - it has wires ready for the light inside just haven't got around to installing it. It's a good light in the galley and I think it will work well for reading - that's why I bought it.

I believe it's just an RV type light - maybe Camping World would have one if you have one of those.

If you have no luck finding the exact thing and it's what you really want I would be happy to run by Joe's and pick one up and mail it to you. I have one right by my office.

Michele
mjg444
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:55 pm

Steve, I got our light like this at CoLaws RV.

btw---If anyone finds a LED replacement bulb I would sure appreciate the information. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby firemaniac » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:08 am

john wrote:I also picked up this for $10. ebay

I like the rock on rock off swivel.

These look similar to those in the cab of a Ford van, several of our Ambulances have theme and they function as both dome light and map light, decent amount of light in my experience (Fords charcoal grey interior) while reading a map while partner is driving, also notice that while I am driving a partner reading a map their is hardly any stray light that gets away, which saves my night vision for driving.
Chris

When in doubt, run in circles, scream, and shout!
firemaniac
Teardrop Master

Postby Esteban » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:01 am

The search for aircraft-style LED lights in a brass finish is baginning to show (some) promise. www.tjtrailers.com has a page with ARCON 12 volt aircraft-style lights. Though not with LED bulbs.

Michele, thank you for your kind offer to shop at your nearby Joe's for me...if these are the same lights you're using I'll be able to order them myself.

Michele and Miriam, are your lights Arcon branded lights? If yours are Arcons are they surface mounting or do they need a recessed mounting?

Can you see what type of light bulb your lights use? What I'm trying to learn is the specific model number of the bulb they use to help me/us find out if there's a good warm white LED replacement bulb that will work in its place. The above linked tjtrailers webpage with Arcon lights has a footnote indicating they use a bulb #1003. I googled "bulb 1003 led" and found a variety of possible LED replacement bulbs.

The hunt is on.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:35 am

Steve:

Gustafson Lighting also makes an aircraft/aviation light like that. I bought from them because I wanted the double satin nickel finish. They require approximately 1-1/2" insert depth. Since I'm just building, I haven't taken them out of the box yet. Here's the info. on the box:

AM4040
Double Satin Nickel Aviation
Size: 8"W x 4" H
Volts: 12VDC
Amps: 2
Watts: 26
Bulb: 1139F (2)

ISO 9001 Certified, Made in Tiawan
Bar Code: 6-55547-00099-2
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Electrical Secrets