Dumping Graywater.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Dumping Graywater.

Postby dmckruit » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:34 pm

I have been in dreamland for the last several cold winter months about my first trip in my (yet to be completed) tear.

Anyway, I was curious as to what experienced teardroppers did with their gray water whilst camping. I do not plan on having a built in sink nor waste water holding tanks. I plan on using a carboy jug to contain drinking water and using a couple of plastic wash basins to wash dishes/food/etc in. I was thinking of putting the gray water in a plastic bucket then transfer to the dumpstation when full.

I was wondering if anyone had any good idea's that I haven't thought of that would make this easier and lower the probability of spills and/or smells.
dmckruit
The 300 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:19 pm

The grass, bushes and trees always need watering!! 8)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Will Smith » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:43 pm

around these parts the Authorities "request" you dump it in the toilet facilities. seems gray water draws bears.
Benefit mankind, use your screen saver for something useful. More information here:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Will Smith
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Will Smith wrote:around these parts the Authorities "request" you dump it in the toilet facilities. seems gray water draws bears.

I usually dump the gray water away from the camp site behind a tree, the same tree I go to at night to mark my territory to keep the bears away. :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby iplay10us2 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:57 pm

A lot of parks in Arkansas state that gray water dumping is illegal. I am thinking about getting one of these:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-toilets-tanks/20517.htm in either the 5 or 10 gallon size. They don't weigh much empty so they would be easy to take on a trip. I used one when I had my pop tup camper and it worked well.[/img]
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby TENNJIM » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:13 pm

I use a large (15 qts) oil drain container from Wal-Mart. It sets well under the water container on my Teardrop, has a drain bowl to the center, a carry-handle and a pour-out spout. The spout and center drain have screw on caps. When ready, just carry it to the gray water drain or pour it down the commode in the restroom. I believe Autozone has the same thing.
8)
Jim B / Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:49 pm

I usually use a 5 gallon bucket and make every effort to dump it properly.

But sometimes I trip over it and it spills.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:40 pm

If it has some food stuff in it dump it late at night beside the class "c " motor homes AT THE FAR END OF THE CAMPGROUNDS it adds to their "out door adventure" . If you were to toss in a few dozen marshmellows the racoons will keep them entertained all night as well.

I AM SO BAD !!!!! :?
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby dmckruit » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks for the info. I was surfing the net at lunch today and looking at different campgrounds in the US (specifically around the beaches of North Carolina, Maine, and Massachussetts. A lot of campgrounds specify "no dumping of gray water around campsites" and "in or around comfort stations". So I was looking for ideas so that I can be prepared.
dmckruit
The 300 Club

Postby iplay10us2 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Sounds like a 5 gallon bucket with a lid from Home Depot might be the answer. Easy to take to the dump station and would comply with the campground rules. Besides, we should all be more careful with our planet and not dump anything that would contaminate the water table.
:)
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Return to Camping Secrets