Help newbie with electrical on strange project??

Anything electric, AC or DC

Help newbie with electrical on strange project??

Postby 850-R » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:00 pm

I am not to the point of building a teardrop yet :( But I thought you guys might be willing to help me with my trailer project. I have a 7x16 enclosed box trailer that I am converting to a trailer. We use it to haul ATVs and when they are in there it is FULL so everything must be transported in the back of the truck and plugged up for camping. I want to put Rooftop AC and Heat as well as a plugin in for a normal TV and one of those plug in coolers or a tiny fridge. Now the trailer has DC lights in it already just running from the battery on the tongue. I want to keep this as simple as possible. I am pretty handy but I am not sure what parts exactly that I need.
Is there a Box that I can buy that will allow me to plug in to the shore AC at the campsite and have plug ins built into it for the tv and direct wire the AC to a seperate circuit?? I dont care anything about being able to run off batteries cause we always go to a campground or I will buy a generator. I think I need like an overgrown powerstrip with a couple of different breakers built in?? Maybe? I just cant make sense of the rvsupply websites to figure out what I need to order. Any help is greatly appreciated...
850-R
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:11 pm

...are you looking for something like this from Radio Shack or maybe something more like this
or something all together different
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Help newbie with electrical on strange project??

Postby Ken A Hood » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:21 pm

850-R wrote: I think I need like an overgrown powerstrip with a couple of different breakers built in?

I saw a powerstrip at Home Depot(Canada) a while ago, Almost picked up 1 for myself. It was approx 4ft long, and had an outlet every foot or so; and it was wrapped in diamond plating. I can't remember the pricing, I think it was $25-35. They were near all the lighbulbs and ex. cords. I looked online and it wasn't listed.......but they don't have everything in store shown online.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby 850-R » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:22 pm

I like the look of the first one since it looks simplre but i dont think it will have enough ooomph to run a rooftop air/heat safely with the tv and cooler all plugged in or will it?? Did I make my objective clear? I ust want to add Roof AC/heat and a few other items like TV/DVD and cooler to my enclosed trailer. I am just looking for advise on what others on this forum would do.
850-R
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:56 pm

...850, where do you plan on mounting or is it all gonna be carried loose and pluged up on site...if so get a double outlet extension cord and a 2pk of 15amp power stips from, R.S. for about 6 bucks, or you can get a 2/4circuit breaker box from Lowes or Home Depot ect. for around $15 and wire up a couple of outlets to it...the big questions are where are you mounting and how simple do you want it...oh yeah, how much do you want to spend
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby 850-R » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Budget is not that big of a deal. I want it to be safe and functional. I was thinking of mounting it to the wall inside the trailer. So you think I could have a standard 3 end wired onto a rooftop AC/heat and just plug it into either a wall receptacle wired to a breaker box or to a nice power strip??
850-R
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:28 pm

...inna word...yep. Simplist way, buy a 2/4 breaker box(less than $15), wire AC/heat directly into it and wire a receptacle box into also for other appliances, and feed power to breaker box with something like this
madjack 8)

hmmmmm link did not work so goto www.waytekwire.com >>>products>>>scroll down to wiring acc>>>blade connecting devices>>>item #11
madjack
Site Admin

Postby 850-R » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:38 pm

Of course a lot simpler way to do it would be a window unit on the tongue like I have seen on this site but how would I heat it in the winter?? Just thinking aloud here. As soon as I think i got it figured out I find a site like this with tons of awesome ideas!!!
850-R
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:42 pm

...heat in the winter...why shoot, just rub two sticks together :lol: :lol: ;)
madjack 8)

P.s. you can get a window unit with built in heat also...a warning...never sleep inna small enclosed trailer without some sort of ventilation
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:43 pm

...if budget is no problem goto www.petcool.com
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby 850-R » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:49 pm

hmmm petcool might not have enough ooomp for my trailer since it is 7x16 on the inside of the box?? Also do the window units with heaters actually work when it is like 25 outside. Here in GA it can get pretty chilly!!

Thanks
Niles
850-R
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:56 pm

...the Petcools are 2500 btu's, yeah they would work and for the small volume of your trailer(bigger than a TD but still small) a couple of candles plus body heat would run you outta there...
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby 850-R » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:59 pm

well that might be the answer !! :) Then just run in a heavy duty exention cord and be done :) Hmmm
850-R
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 850-R » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:07 pm

Hmm website says only 2000btus. Are you sure that would be enough?? Also one fact I forgot to mention my trailer is black!! :shock: :x
850-R
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:21 pm

...2000btus are for a room 10x15...however, he sells both 2000/2500 btu units and the last I talked to him, they were going to discontinue the 2000's and only sell the 2500's, also be aware that their website is not totally up to date. A totally black trailer may make cooling tough in exteme weather like we had this summer...alotta teardroppers use an EZE-UP or some other type of awning to cover their tears in really hot weather...if you are concerned that 2500 btus is not enough get a bigger window or roof unit.........the choice is yours...not mine
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets