Window installation

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Window installation

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:31 pm

I have a couple of 12" x 24" windows that I got from TJ Trailers.
I hate to admit it but I'm not sure how to intall them. I have a clamp ring that has holes drilled into it. The windows themselves don't have anyholes. My question is do I have to drill holes in the window from?
Thanks
Mark
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:46 pm

...Mark, you haveta use #8x1/2" self tapping screws thru the holes in the ring and into the little channel that runs under it
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:52 pm

Mad Jack,
Sorry for all the mispelled words. I'm glad you were able to make out what I was talking about.
You said that the screws go into the channel under the clamp ring? Do I need to drill holes into the window frame?
Mark
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:09 am

...no. no. no...the screws go into the holes in the clamp ring...if you line up clamp ring and window, you will see a small chanel running around the window, which has the screen pushed into it(I think...I am not at the shop right now) you screw into that chanel. It will work out perfectly...these directions came from TJ Trailers
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:50 am

Mark,
There should be a continous channel/slot/groove (Or whatever you may want to call it) that runs around the entire perimeter of the window on one side. (On most windows it would be on the interior side)
It is refered to as a "screw race" or "screw boss". It is wide enough for the shank of the screw to fit into, but narrow enough for the threads of the screw to catch onto each wall of the opening of the race or boss...
(It will appear as a narrow dado groove)
On some makes of windows it also doubles as a groove to hold the vinyl screen spline, which holds the screen material secure.
The predrilled holes in your ring should line up with it. Once you get it started it will be easy to tell if you missed hitting the race. I would leave your screws a bit loose, until you have all the screw propperly inserted into the race before tightening them up.

Hope this helps...

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:18 pm

Thank you guys.
I installed windows this evening and everything worked out great. I really appreciate your help.
Thanks again.
Mark
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:22 pm

...absolutely, De Nada....but WHERE ARE DA PICS...we loves da pics
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:48 am

I well be taking some pictures in the next few days.
Mark
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques