Fiberglass reproduction fenders

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Fiberglass reproduction fenders

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:02 am

Has anyone purchased fenders from Aero Fiberglass Company? If so, how was the experience? I know I could get quality from the West Coast, but the $200.00 a pair plus shipping from Aero in Minnesota is tempting. Here is a link to their website. http://www.aeroglass.com/trailers/index.php

Thanks,

Steve
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:21 am

...Steve, don't no nuttin' 'bout dem Aero's, but have you seen this thread about using steel fenders from a dual or triple axle utility trailer...damn good idea. If you scroll down first page you will see how a guy did it and on the second page is a pic of finished fender along with a suggestion for using 1 triple axle fender for 2 TD fenders...mighty slick and a very viable option.
I am using fg fenders from RW Johnson but will probably go with the cut down steel fenders on any future builds
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:23 pm

Yeah Madjack, I had been lookin at those steel fenders, about half the visits to that thread might have been me, keep goin back and lookin. Still haven't decided but.... Those fiberglass fenders you have look pretty cool. Thanks for the thoughts.

Steve
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:49 pm

...yeah, I really like 'em but it cost me somewhere around 250/260 to get 'em at my door...kinda makes 80/90 bucks for a triple axle steel fender mighty attractive...Geron, or somebody else on this board, built their fenders using the same basic technique as for building/skinning a TD, not bad looking fenders at all
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:48 am

Or... for fenders that would look really out there, one could always use airplane wheel pants. they might work with the stock wheels/tires on a bolt together frame. Maybe it would start a trend of "Theme Trailers" Example: Evil Knivel flying Teardrop. Not only camp at the canyon but jump over it while you're there ! :lol: :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cessna-W ... enameZWDVW

I'm calling about the 1934 rerproduction fenders from Minnesota this morning.

Steve
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:11 am

Steve_Cox wrote:Or... for fenders that would look really out there, one could always use airplane wheel pants.
Steve

One problem is that they are very small, and would not fit most trailer tires, second problem is that they usually bring as much as repo fenders and more.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:54 am

JunkMan wrote:
One problem is that they are very small, and would not fit most trailer tires, second problem is that they usually bring as much as repo fenders and more.

Jeff,
Hope you meant "repro" not "repo" :lol:
And yeah you're right , those piper cub wheels look like about 8 inches by about 8 inches wide. Not too good on the highway but probably pretty good for landings. So I guess it's :thumbdown: for wheel pants. They wern't a serious consideration anyway.

I ordered the 1934 reproduction trailer fenders from Aero Fiberglass a few minutes ago $200 + $25 for Fedex. Guess we'll see how that goes.

Steve
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:06 am

...Steve, be sure and let us know all the skinny on those fenders when you get/use 'em. They are at least 40/50 bucks cheaper than the west coast fenders because of shipping and I know myself and many others would like your impession of them...they look pretty good on the Aero site
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:35 pm

That's about the going rate for the price but really good for the shipping.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby DoWopBox » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:47 am

I got mine from RW Johnson. They are the extra wide ones. They are very nice, can''t wait till I am ready to mount them.

(click for a larger image)
Aerodynamics is overated
DoWopBox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Laredo » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:50 pm

i still like these (the ones at the back of the boats):

Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Grandadeo » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:21 pm

I sure wish you guys would stop posting pictures of boats with fins. That's one urge I've been able to suppress over the years. But I'm growing weaker. Got to remember - a teardrop, 2 hot rod projects and a house and garage to paint - a teardrop, 2 hot rod projects and a house and garage to paint.

Lee
Happy Motoring!
Grandadeo
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:33 am

Road Trip wrote:I sure wish you guys would stop posting pictures of boats with fins. That's one urge I've been able to suppress over the years. But I'm growing weaker. Got to remember - a teardrop, 2 hot rod projects and a house and garage to paint - a teardrop, 2 hot rod projects and a house and garage to paint.

Lee

I like how you put the painting projects last. :lol:
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:39 am

asianflava wrote:
Road Trip wrote:I sure wish you guys would stop posting pictures of boats with fins. That's one urge I've been able to suppress over the years. But I'm growing weaker. Got to remember - a teardrop, 2 hot rod projects and a house and garage to paint - a teardrop, 2 hot rod projects and a house and garage to paint.

Lee

I noticed the teardrop is first. :thinking:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby angib » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:24 am

asianflava wrote:

Lee

Yeah but he's a responsible sorta guy - you see how painting the house just squeezed in front of painting the garage?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques