Those in cars bringing firewood.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Those in cars bringing firewood.

Postby Wimperdink » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Are you doing anything special to bring firewood without trashing the inside of your car truck or cargo area? Trucks are pretty self explanetory and easy, but bringing your own firewood in a car can get messy. Buying it near the camp site is freakin expensive. How do you keep it clean.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby planovet » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:55 pm

I put an old blanket in the back of my SUV and set the wood on top. Easy to just shake it out when I get to the destination and it folds up nice for the return trip.
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby iplay10us2 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:57 pm

I just use the blanket idea, too. However, I am noticing quite a few parks are stating that it is illegal to bring in firewood from other states. What is up with that?
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:21 pm

iplay10us2 wrote:I am noticing quite a few parks are stating that it is illegal to bring in firewood from other states. What is up with that?

Here in Wisconsin, it is due to the emerald ash borer that has spread it's destruction throughout Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. As of last August, it had finally made it's way into Wisconsin. Prior to that time, you could not bring firewood into a state or federal forest/park from father away than a 50 mile radius of that forest/park. Now, however, we have 4 quarantined counties in which the emerald ash borer has been found. In those counties, you can't purchase, harvest, store or even transport firewood within or through the counties.

Here's what our state park website says:

What is Acceptable Firewood?

-Firewood purchased within 50 miles of a state forest, park, or other state-managed property.

AND harvested in Wisconsin.

AND NOT purchased, harvested or stored in, or transported through a quarantined county of Wisconsin. These include: Ozaukee, Washington, Fond du Lac, and Sheboygan Counties.

-Firewood from a vendor that is certified by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection. Find a certified vendor [exit DNR].

-Dimensional and untreated lumber scraps, such as 2-by-4s and 2-by-6s.
Firewood Types

The parks are pretty strict about it.

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Like Betsey said...

The emerald ash borer is spreading, and the parks are trying to contain it.

Here's a web site that talks a little more about it...

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby iplay10us2 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:33 pm

Thanks for the info. I doubt if I would haul firewood on a long trip anyway, but it is good to know what to expect. For the most part, I try not to break the "rules", even on the ones that I think are stupid. :lol:
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tear Fan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:20 pm

I use a giant Rubbermaid tote somebody was throwing away at the landfill where I take the trash. Couldn't believe they were gonna throw it away. Anyway, it's good for bringing back dirty clothes on the return trip, or leftover stuff.

Tear Fan
Life is so short, we should all move more slowly. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Photos - http://flickr.com/photos/47726343@N00/
Tear Fan
The 300 Club

Postby Gerdo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:21 pm

Colorado has the pine beetle. It has been in the high country but last fall it appeared low. They beleive that they were also transported in fire wood.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gary W » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:01 pm

Plastic recycling bin works great. Stuff every nook and cranny. Bring home the stuff to recycle and the throw away stuff to. :thumbsup:
Gary W
Teardrop Inspector

Postby firemaniac » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:11 pm

I do have a truck and occasionally carry my own, but as I do not have a wood burning fire place at home, bringing firewood from home is rare. I usually buy from a local ma&pa operation near the destination, or a super market in the area. The price of wood has gone up over the years, but most sellers are still reasonable.
Chris

When in doubt, run in circles, scream, and shout!
firemaniac
Teardrop Master

In a related topic.

Postby KayakNKamper » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:00 am

With the shredding of personal documents over the years I had been wondering what to do with the shreds afterward. I decided to compress about 4" of shredded paper into the bottom of paper grocery bags, and then I roll them up tightly and tape them up. Now I have "Firewood" for camping. I haven't tried them yet, but they should light easily, and if packed tight enough they should last a little while. The only negative is that they may look like something illegal, but can be opened easy enough if there is a problem at a border crossing.
KayakNKamper
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wimperdink » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:36 am

I guess I hadn't even thought about transporting problems along with my burnables. Gives a guy something extra to think about. I cant see myself bringing my own firewood on a long trip, but when I'm going 50 miles or so, to my destination, its just easier to pack everything in and not have to buy along the way. An old blanket or plastic seems easy enough.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DougH » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:47 am

I pack firewood from home in copy paper boxes I bring home from work. Placing wood in standing up lets me pack in quite a bit in each box, and I can bring a good assortment including kindling. When done the cardboard box also gets tossed in the fire. I just hate to buy firewood at the campground when I have lots at home. The boxes kep it all neat and the car clean.

FYI I also made a great fire poker from an old golf club with the head cut off. It won't burn and has a nice handle :)
DougH
Teardrop Master

Firewood in the trunk

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:12 pm

8) I bring firewood along and throw an old sheet down in the trunk first. It spreads out nicely and shakes off easy when you unload. The only cavet I have about hauling wood in my trunk is the bugs that may be hiding in the wood do come out. I've had to be careful not to have spider and other critters move in, hang around, and hatch out in the trunk and make their way into the car front interior.
Joanie
:R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Re: Firewood in the trunk

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:53 pm

The Teardrop Nanny wrote:8) I bring firewood along and throw an old sheet down in the trunk first. It spreads out nicely and shakes off easy when you unload. The only cavet I have about hauling wood in my trunk is the bugs that may be hiding in the wood do come out. I've had to be careful not to have spider and other critters move in, hang around, and hatch out in the trunk and make their way into the car front interior.
Joanie
:R

Spiders keep the bug population down.
:D :D
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets