Pocket Door

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Pocket Door

Postby Jonkayak » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:46 pm

Hi I'm new here. I found this site about two weeks ago while looking at smaller travel trailers for me and my wife. Well I desided to build one. I'm going with a 5x10 design. I plan on adding most of the space to the cabin area. It will be a non insulated design(It gets hot but not too cold here). Well here is my idea, I plan on doing pocket doors instead of hinged doors. The walls will be done in a 3/4" subframe and the doors will be a 1/2" thick ply sliding on C channel alum. rails. What are your ideas? My main concen is weather proofing the doors, though I beleave it can be done. Maybe I'll make a travel/storage cover for the door openings (likethey use on kayaks to keep water and bugs out) or do a full wrape around gutter. Thanks in advance.

Jon
1st tear drop sold. Second TTT will be glassed and look like........weekender maybe???????
Jonkayak
Teardrop Builder

Door Frame Parts

Postby KZ76017 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:08 pm

I bought mine from Camp-Inn and I'm very glad I did because they look very professional. Look at my build journal photos in my signature.
KZ76017

8) :twisted:
KZ76017
Teardrop Master

Postby Jonkayak » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:25 pm

You bought you Tear from Camp Inn? If they're the ones I'm thinking of then yes they do look great.

Jon
1st tear drop sold. Second TTT will be glassed and look like........weekender maybe???????
Jonkayak
Teardrop Builder

No, I bought my door frame parts from Camp-Inn

Postby KZ76017 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:27 pm

No, I bought my door frame parts from Camp-Inn
KZ76017
Teardrop Master

Postby Jonkayak » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:31 pm

Ok sorry about that. Yeah I haven't found any pre made pocket door parts this small or I would consider getting some.

Jon
Jonkayak
Teardrop Builder

Re: Pocket Door

Postby Gage » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:29 am

Jonkayak wrote:Hi I'm new here. I found this site about two weeks ago while looking at smaller travel trailers for me and my wife. Well I desided to build one. I'm going with a 5x10 design. I plan on adding most of the space to the cabin area. It will be a non insulated design(It gets hot but not too cold here). Thanks in advance.
Jon

If you think installation is only for the cold, You might think about doing some more research on that subject. I installated mine to keep the heat out. Installation works both ways.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Marck » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:15 am

If you think installation is only for the cold, You might think about doing some more research on that subject. I installated mine to keep the heat out. Installation works both ways.

All I can say to that is AMEN Gage.

I debated the need for insulation just as Jonkayak is doing, thinking the same way, "I won't be camping in the cold". At our first camp out with it (Hickory run TJ meet this year) I was SOOOOOOO glad I did insulate, in fact it had me wishing I had insulated the floor as well, it was so HOT and the insulation helped immensly with keeping it cooler inside.

Jonkayak, you really should consider insulating, or you may find yourself spending many very uncomfortable, very sweaty nights in your tear.
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby Juli n Bill » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:33 am

insulation isn't just for heat and cold, I did it in part for sound proofing the inside of our egg too. Sometimes you get yahoos in the campgrounds or you end up in a place that's a bit too close to the freeway, it's nice to have a quiet place to sleep.

Juli n Bill
Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby twc3 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:06 am

Insulation keeps the temps more consistent so you have less variation in the temp inside the trailer. I have noticed when I have come down out of the mountains in the morning the air is cooler and as I descend to the valley floor the heat usually will rise by 15 to 20 degrees by noon and by 2:00pm the temps in the valley could reach 100+, however the inside cabin of the trailer maintains a relative cool temp.

The same can be said about it sitting in the sun for hours baking, eventually the inside will warm up and like a car the temps will surpass that of the temp outside. You could almost keep your food warm before dinner. I keep the windows and vents open for air movement inside the cabin when the trailer is parked and/or uncovered.

Juli n Bill
I did it in part for sound proofing the inside of our egg too

I have noticed that as well. I am glad I insulated the tear. I have found that I will take the trailer out in any weather and not fear I will be uncomfortable.

TC
twc3
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woody » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:38 am

Insulation allows us to camp just about anywhere and any weather. It just made since for us living in the Deep South with A/C installed. The point is that you may never know where you might end up camping down the road so to speak. Insulation makes a big difference. The wife is happy, then so am I, cause if she isn't then the other attribute of insulation comes to play. Sound proofing :shock:
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Cary Winch » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:11 pm

Another thing to consider for insulation is condensation. That is why the roof definitely needs insulation. The walls depend alot on the size and such. A 8 footer with 3/4" walls usually doesn't need it but a 10 footer might. If you do anything, make sure the roof has a good foam insulation in it.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Arne » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:04 pm

Pocket doors are usually used to keep them out of the way. I don't see any benefit on a tear, and a whole bunch of sealing problems. And even in a house, they are usually only used to shut off a room, not as an entry door, meaning, they are not meant to be open and closed a lot...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Jonkayak » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:08 pm

I can see your points on all the benifits of insulation. I still plan on installing some insulation mainly roof and maybe the floor. Its just that the pocket door idea I have would rid me of most of it anyways. I'm use to sleeping in tents and there is none at all in them. But a good tent in winter can easily be ten or more degrees defferent inside verse outside there for I would say the same would be true in the tears. Iguess what i'm saying is that I know about the heating, cooling, noise value it offers it just something I can live with out. I know I'm going to try it My tear is already under construction and the door is about readly to be installed. The pocket door ideas is not ment to be the next great thing its just an idea that seems to have some pratical uses.
1. 1 or 2 less hinges
2. nothing to swing open going down the road
3. shouldn't get broken as easly as a regular door nothing for the little ones to swing from (not that we have little ones yet)
4. no door in the way at camp (slide it in and its out of the way, and it want be swinging around inside the screened in EZ Up tent)
5. Very easy to have a sold locked entrance.
6. The door will be 30" x 30" and have a second screen door as well to keep the bugs out.
Just my ideas that are floating around in my head. I get to see some neat building ideas all the time at work so now I want to try something diffrent here.

Jon
Jonkayak
Teardrop Builder

Postby SteveH » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:52 pm

Jon,

I won't argue the virtues you stated about pocket doors, but I would be very concerned about sealing one. After all, how many pocket doors have you ever seen on the exterior of a house?

I just was able to get my teardrop door sealed so it didn't leak water in a driving rain, and I've been messing with it for several months now, so I'm sort of gun shy.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gage » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:56 pm

Well Jon, with your mind set on what your going to do. You shouldn't have asked for our opinions. You also shouldn't have stated why you weren't going to add installation because it told me that you really didn't understand installation. That's why I and others voiced our views.

It looks to me that you are going to be the pioneer on creating and installing pocket doors because most every one else kept it simple and built thier teardrops to give a little more confort than what a tent provides. So please keep us up to date on your progress. It just may be educational for us all. And don't forget pictures.

Questions are asked for answers to problems or opinions on how to do something. They are not for arguement.

Just my 5 cents. Have a good day.
8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques