Having my first TD built!!!!

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby ParTaxer » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:29 pm

I adjusted these to fit in the opening. I store them as a head rest when not in use.
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/icat/windowscreens/
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:56 am

Hi, RileyDog:

You mentioned AZ. That has some very HOT areas!

I would definitely spend the money for at least a non-powered roof vent. Being a woman who camps alone or with other women, you'll probably want to lock the doors and maybe the windows at night so that you can feel more secure. Even if you leave a window cracked open, it could get pretty stuffy and hot in there. Moisture condensation is another issue.

Heat rises and should naturally find an exit if you have a roof vent. A roof vent can usually be left safely open even while you're sleeping. You don't necessarily need a powered fan in the vent. If you need more air movement, you can rig up an O2 Cool fan or a clip-on fan for it and it should do the trick. :fan:

Adding a roof vent may also help with resale value, should you ever decide to sell.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Arne » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:45 pm

when most of us talk about ceiling fans we are talking about a vent with a fan in it, like this, not just a fan mounted to the ceiling.

http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/model_6600/model_6600.html
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Todah Tear » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Todah Tear wrote:
rileydog wrote:I'm sorry, I am so not 'handy' though.. I see you order the screen by the yard. What did you attach to make it fit? (I can't even sew on a button.. I may have to get some help with this..).

Do not fret if you don't sew.

On Todah 1, I used brown duct tape for boarding the mesh. It lasted for a pretty long time, but overtime, it gets stucky because of Texas heat. By the time I did Todah 2, I had discovered "permanent" strength Liquid Stitch (found in Wal-mart craft or sewing section). I used 1 1/2 cloth banning (it is called banning). This too can be found at any sewing store or wal-mart. This makes a good boarder for the mesh.

Next I used sticky-back velcro, in evenly spaced lengths, along the banning to attach it to the tear opening. (I'll come back and finish the explaination with an edit. I've to scoot right now.)

Todah

Here is the rest of the instructions. I found an old thread that I had posted to the explains how to do the Velcro. You'll want to re-inforce it with some Gorilla Glue.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=297836&highlight=#297836

Wal-mart has some good DC oscillating fans. They put out a good breeze too. They can be found in the automotive department.

Todah
Last edited by Todah Tear on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rileydog » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks everyone for your ideas! Those all look great! I did decide to have the vent put in the top... wasn't too much more and I'm sure it will be worth it!

Todah, printing yours off to take home...

dread, love your window screen. How do the sides and bottom stay attached though? (You said you put it on a curtain rod?).... that's looks nice and simple... like me. ;)
rileydog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rileydog » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:43 am

Arne - or anyone regarding fantastic vents......

I looked at those and they look great! They're are quite a few though ranging a bit in cost. I would like to keep the cost low, but curious from others what I would be giving up with going with the 4000 or 5000 model? Does anyone have a specfic model they love and why?

Thanks!
rileydog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:47 am

rileydog wrote:Arne - or anyone regarding fantastic vents......

I looked at those and they look great! They're are quite a few though ranging a bit in cost. I would like to keep the cost low, but curious from others what I would be giving up with going with the 4000 or 5000 model? Does anyone have a specfic model they love and why?

Thanks!

Get the mid priced one, automatic closing function is not really useful in a teardrop. Check Vintage Trialer Supply for prices
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby rileydog » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks a lot Dennis. That's now done too! I'm so glad I found this site..
rileydog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:49 am

If you are considering building a new tear then maybe consider a small frame on the inside the door and build a wood/screen door that opens outward without interference with the main door as I did with my cargo trailer. I did this for both the side door as well as the back door. Of course it helps if you work for a window company.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Todah Tear » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:58 pm

southpennrailroad wrote:If you are considering building a new tear then maybe consider a small frame on the inside the door and build a wood/screen door that opens outward without interference with the main door as I did with my cargo trailer. I did this for both the side door as well as the back door. Of course it helps if you work for a window company.

That's a good idea and a first!

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Todah Tear » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:00 am

rileydog wrote:... Btw, what size is your bed? that looked pretty big.

Thanks much!

The interior is 59" wide.

Todah
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:10 am

Riley...RE: fans...O2Cool( brand name) sells a VERY nice 5" and 10" fans, which run on batteries...the 10" model, will run on 12vdc BUT both run a very long time on their onboard D cell batteries...these fans can had from WalMart, in the Sporting goods section and sell between 10 and 20 bucks...as far as the FF vent fans go http://www.rvvent.com/index2.htm is one of the best places to get one........
madjack 8)
p.s. on the first TD, we used a 4000r but on subsequent builds, we used the 10" O2Cool fans and a small cargo net to hold it against the roof vent, giving the same effect as the FF fan vents.........MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets