WFCO

Anything electric, AC or DC

WFCO

Postby john curtis » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:32 pm

Hello
Am fairly new to the forum and dont realy know what I am doing yet ,thanks.
I tried using the forum the other night,but I dont know if anything got through.
Am thinking about installing a WFCO converter charger in my TD.What I was wondering is what else I will neen to go with it.
Also need to know what would be a good size to instal ?
Here is a list of what I would like to go into the TD for elec.

Fantastic fan
2-int.lights
2-lights in the galley
3-110 wall plugs
2-12v sockets

Would like to run a coffee maker,tv/dvd and wire in a 12v am/fm cd player.
Was thinking about a 45 or a 55 amp. unit with 2 trojan 6v batteries or would I be better off with a deep cycle optima battery .
Thanks for any help you can give.
john curtis
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:39 pm

...the amperage ratings relate to the 12vdc side...AC side can be whatever sized breakers you put into the unit...a 20A unit should do what ever you want...the only thing else that is needed is wire, breakers and fuses...I would go with the Optima, unless I was going to be doing extensive boonie camping...in fact, why not a standard deep cycle type trolling battery from WallyWolrd...120 AH for well under 100 bucks...in fact, you could buy 2R3 if them for what a comparible Optima would cost........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

WFCO

Postby john curtis » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:43 am

Thanks for the reply.
I figured the 2 6v might be a little much.Also 1 battery will save some on the weight.Will have to order the new unit soon.
Tried to post some pictures but they were to big to put on the site.Will post some new pics soon.Will most likley be looking for some more advice soon.
Thanks again John
john curtis
Teardrop Master

Postby mechmagcn » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:35 am

This is the converter that I am using in my TD. http://www.bestconverter.com/6730-30-Am ... p_135.html
They also have the WFCO http://www.bestconverter.com/WFCO-8725- ... _p_50.html that would be adequate for TD use.
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby john curtis » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi Jeff and Donna

Went to the web site you sugested and compaired the the 2 units.Liked the 6730 way better.The selling feature was that all the breakers are instaled and all ready wired.Liked it so much I went and ordered it should be here in a 7 to 10 days.How easy was it to instal,and any tips will be greatly appreciated on how to instal.

Thanks again John
john curtis
Teardrop Master

Postby wlooper89 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:51 pm

Hello John, I would just echo what Jeff said and comment that I also installed a WFCO from Best Converter. At the time the output was 25A but I believe now the 30A unit is more or less the basic standard. Mine has worked very well and when I called Best Converter about the installation they were very helpful.

My unit draws only about 4A A/C at max output because of the difference between 12V and 120V Amps. (Amps = Watts/Volts)

The built-in fuse and CB panels are very nice and save money over installing them separately. On my converter there was space for two circuit breakers and bus bars inside the unit for A/C connections. I installed a 30A shore power inlet into my electrical compartment and then split into two 20A A/C circuits at the converter with two 20A breakers. This saves money because all the 20A outlets, switches, wire and GFCI's can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes. The converter itself I powered with one of the 20A circuits and the same circuit goes to one of the two A/C lines into the trailer.

On the D/C side there were slots for a master fuse and three circuits below that. I used 10A fuses on the three separate circuits and 30A on the master. The master circuit is designated for charging the trailer battery and it passes battery power through to the three trailer D/C circuits if there is no A/C hookup.

I hope this description of the wiring arrangement that has worked for me will give you a starting point. I believe you will be happy with your new converter and the supplier.

The photo below shows my CB and fuse panel in the converter. Although the converter is designed to mount in a panel opening I built a small frame for it to sit in my electrical compartment. Shore power enters through the black cable (#10 wire) and exits with the two yellow #12 wires.

Bill

Last edited by wlooper89 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Power Centers

Postby john curtis » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi Bill

Thanks for your reply.From the sounds of it you and Jeff are very happy with your power centers.Can hardly wait for it to get here,but it will probably be a few days before I can get to work on it,building outside in the winter isnt much fun most days.But the giid thing is it will give me more time to collect parts and hardware.
Thanks for your help and I am sure I will be needing more yet.

John
john curtis
Teardrop Master

Postby Tripmaker » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:52 am

I have the WFCO 8725 and it does a great job. I keep it plugged in when not using the teardrop and it maintains the battery, especially over the winter.

You mention that you want to run a coffee maker. If you are running it off of 110 you will have no problem. From what I hear about 12V coffee makers your morning coffee will be ready about dinner time. :lol: That may be an stretch but they are slow. If I don't have shore power I make coffee with a #6 Melita coffee cone and filter and boil the water on my propane stove.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets