switching inverter

Anything electric, AC or DC

switching inverter

Postby Southern Oregon Bob » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:49 pm

I have a 1000w xantrex x power inverter and I would like to be able to turn it on and off from about 8 ft away. The wire on the switch inside is real fine. If I cut the wire by the switch and run 8 ft of wire to another switch what size wire should I use. Thanks Bob
Southern Oregon Bob
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Cutterpup » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:58 am

I have a 500 watt inverter that runs loud and I put a switch in cabin area to turn off the inverter when we are done using it without having to go outside. The way I did it was to run the hot side wire to a switch and back because all the current was going in this wire I used 6 gauge wire.

Now for your application since the switch has fine wires inside it must be using a relay for the current load so all you need to do is to have wire that is one size larger than what is in the switch so you don't have to worry about a power drop since electricity now has go twice the distance that you said (out and back to switch). My guess without seeing the switch would be that you have 16 gauge wire or smaller and using 14 guage wire be fine just make sure that you use multi strand wire.

Dan
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets