Mattress sources

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Mattress sources

Postby Clay » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:09 pm

Hi all, just joined after lurking for a few weeks. I'm planning on building a 4X8 Weekender and do/will have lots of questions so bare with me.

For now though, I'm wondering where you get or what you all use as mattresses in a 4X8 trailer. Even my most optimist estimations of inside width would be 46-47" and that's not even close to any normal mattress size. Is there a supplier I've missed or do most of you make custom bedding?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Clay
Clay
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IraRat » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:21 pm

After you're finished building, you'll be so exhausted that you'll be glad to sleep on the hard plywood.

Custom-cut foam, and if you do a search with that, you'll find a bunch of topics here about this.

Also, on a related subject, the bottom point/Y axis of your DOOR OPENING is crucially related the the thickness of the foam you buy. If the bottom of that door opening is too high, the side walls will dig into your calves when you're sitting in the door opening.

So the accepted formula is, if you're 2" up from the floor for your door opening, it requires 4" thick foam.

Finally, Knox foam is a brand I've seen bantered around here a lot, although I plan to get inexpensive stuff from Joanne Fabrics/Crafts.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby asianflava » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:22 pm

I haven't bought mine yet but everyone has suggested the Grade A med from knox foam.
http://knoxfoam.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/customcutfoam/customcut.htm?E+scstore
Some say that the Grade A firm is too hard.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby kurtibm » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:37 pm

Also see the thread "Mattress Pad"
Here's the link
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3974
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby alffink » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:44 pm

As a comparison to Knox Foam, you may want to check out

http://www.foamproducts.net/ they are located in Florida, very good web-site, they have a Q & A page on their site with very reasonable response time.

When, I ordered mine special cut, I got it within one week, just the size I ordered and the memory foam and base foam were already glued to gether for me, oh and I am in Calif. not Florida.

Al :roll:
alffink
Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:29 am

Hey, thanks for that link, Al. I'm in FL, so maybe I can do a pickup and save on the shipping--because I'll have to pay TAX.

Eech.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby randy chesnutt » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:18 pm

i went to to the local fabric store and got two slabs of 5" high density faom they were 24 x 76 and i will glue them together and cover them with mattrass fabric. this was less than a hundred. it makes a very good bed
randy chesnutt
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:14 pm

Ira,

I think he means to glue them 'side by side' :lol:

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:07 pm

toypusher wrote:Ira,

I think he means to glue them 'side by side' :lol:

Kerry

I'm getting slow in my old age, Ker...

That's why it took me like 5 minutes to realize that and delete the mystery post that only YOU know about!!!
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby cracker39 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:37 pm

This is another topic that answers questions for me. I also live in FL, and the FL site has better prices on the memory foam than Knox does, but doesn't offer covers (or do they???). They do dacron wrap (22% more) and that's a plus. It's is a B**** trying to stuff raw foam into some covers. However, I could make my own covers as I know my way around a sewing machine. Of course, I usually go through my whole repertoire of cuss words when trying to make something.

Dale
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Cutterpup » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:50 pm

Having stuffed many a cushion, inculding the overstuffed (foam cut 2 inches larger than the space for it) ones. I found a easy way to do it. Wrap the foam in plastic add one vacuum cleaner remove the air and it will shrink down enough to get it into to cover. Then remove the plastic or in my case tell the client that the plastic is their for better waterproofness. Using 1 or 2 mill plastic will do anything heavier will not rip out easily.

Dan
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Foamproducts

Postby JScheuermann » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:15 pm

alffink wrote:As a comparison to Knox Foam, you may want to check out

http://www.foamproducts.net/ they are located in Florida, very good web-site, they have a Q & A page on their site with very reasonable response time.

When, I ordered mine special cut, I got it within one week, just the size I ordered and the memory foam and base foam were already glued to gether for me, oh and I am in Calif. not Florida.

Al :roll:

I placed and order for 5" firm 56 1/2 X 76 on 8/11/05 and did get an order confirmation but no shipping confirmation yet.......... :thinking:

Has anyone else had a "within 1 week" delivery from this company?

There is no place on the web site to check the status of the order and they don't have 24 hour phone service.

Thanks for any other experiences shared.

John
John Scheuermann
JScheuermann
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cracker39 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:33 am

John,

Did you send any emails to this company? I've sent two requesting information and have received no replies at all unless they went to my junk mail folder which I delete without looking at it. I found their prices to be better than those of Knox. I just need to know for sure which product is best to use for my four mattress/seat pieces, since I won't be ordering a regular mattress. I suppose I could just go visit them and check out their foam products as they are located about 85 miles from my home.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Endo » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:15 pm

I was able to find Grade A foam locally.

I just looked in the yellow pages under "foam".

I bought a piece 4 x 45 x 72 for $55.00.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby JScheuermann » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:03 am

cracker39 wrote:John,

Did you send any emails to this company? I've sent two requesting information and have received no replies at all unless they went to my junk mail folder which I delete without looking at it. I found their prices to be better than those of Knox. I just need to know for sure which product is best to use for my four mattress/seat pieces, since I won't be ordering a regular mattress. I suppose I could just go visit them and check out their foam products as they are located about 85 miles from my home.

Dale,

Sent an email and placed a phone call and got a reply that the mattress will be delivered tomorrow. Will post again after we get it and let you all know the results.

John
John Scheuermann
JScheuermann
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques