Propane Tanks N Cold weather

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Propane Tanks N Cold weather

Postby fpoole » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:36 pm

I just came back from a Camping weekend and have one of those LP Fire pits. Using a Propane bottle for the fuel and it being cold outside, apx 34F the tank would freeze up. More than several times, the flame would "Flame out". If I shook the bottle, I could re-ignite it and it'd work for little longer, then do the same. Several times, then the tank would be empty.

I thought at first it was just cause it was running low, but the time it took to completely run out was a fairly long time, not like it was the last drop of propane.

I thought it could be due to the ice/freezing point on the bottle and found that if I put the tank in little rubber dish wash bucket and then poured hot water over it, it would "Flame UP" again and then die down.

So my question is.
Does it flame out due to the coldness, freezing on the side of the bottle which indicates it's cold. (actually sticks to the ground and also forms and ice ring around the bottom) or just that it might be low on Propane and needs to be "Shaken, not stirred..." like Bond, to I guess, expand the Propane??

Is there any solution??? for cold weather propane bottles???
thanks..

http://www.poolesweb.com/gallery/eagles ... s-1037.jpg
...just 'Camping Inn' the PNW
Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Propane boiling point is minus 44 degrees F. But at lower ambient temperatures it converts from liquid to gas at a much slower rate than at higher temperatures. So, you would "run out of gas" because of the volume you were using was greater than the conversion from liquid to gas. That's why when you pour hot water on the bottle you get more gas.

Just a guess on my part....8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby fpoole » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:31 pm

Great, thank you...
That seems to be what was happening, just wondering if anyone had "The Cure" heheh...

I ended up with the wash tub and poring Hot water, but got to be a PITA... maybe just put it in the fire itself... that should do it...
just kidding, kids don't do this at home...

Thanks for the heads up...
Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby Joanne » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Freezing propane bottles pushed me back to white gas stoves. I camp in cold weather and got tired of not being able to use both burners without the flames going out. I have a newer white gas stove I'm using, but with the vintage equipment excitement I may restore my Dad's old stove and use it.

Maybe we need to design an insulated sleeve to go around the bottles so the ambient temp doesn't effect them so much. :thinking: Or just use the white gas stove. (Right Doug?)

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby fpoole » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:24 pm

Yah, I used to use the White gas in Mountineering for the same reasons...

don't believe a sleeve will work as the bottle itself brings on the frost so it might just keep the cold in.. maybe a heating pad or some chem-heats (just thinking of the top of my head here). some sort of combo sleeve and pads might work, but boiling water might too... or do the Summer solution, wait for it... heheh..
Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby Dark Horse » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:17 am

I run into frozen Valves/tanks when running a torch for hot glass work, only real solutions with propane, are to go with a larger tank Or Daisy chain the smaller ones.
I like anything that turns money into noise.
Dark Horse
Teardrop Master

Postby fpoole » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:24 am

Dark Horse wrote:I run into frozen Valves/tanks when running a torch for hot glass work, only real solutions with propane, are to go with a larger tank Or Daisy chain the smaller ones.

Ok, then a 20lb'er is the answer and I'm liking the idea of a collar wrap with the chem-heat packs... might be enough to keep the tank from frosting... maybe about 4 of them, Duct Taped if nothing else... heheh..hmmm.. stay tuned..

Thanks for the info..
Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby Mukilteo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:22 pm

deleted
Last edited by Mukilteo on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby kirkman » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:55 am

OR you could just build a real fire! :lol: :campfire: :lol: Sorry I could not resist. 8) :lol:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fpoole » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:11 am

kirkman wrote:OR you could just build a real fire! :lol: :campfire: :lol: Sorry I could not resist. 8) :lol:

Yah, LOL, the problem is when they, Sites, don't allow "Real Fires" which brought about the whole propane "Artificial Fire" thing..

Also, it's real nice to have one in the kitchen area when it's raining up here... no smoke, easy to start and turn off and movable.

While l like "Real Fires' like the rest of them, This turns out to be a good alternative. :thumbsup:

Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby kirkman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:45 am

fpool.... I thought that was the case but I just had too! You left your self wide open for picking! :lol:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:33 am

Dark Horse wrote:I run into frozen Valves/tanks when running a torch for hot glass work, only real solutions with propane, are to go with a larger tank Or Daisy chain the smaller ones.

Aaah... Another lamp worker....

Got any good lampwork web sites to share?

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:37 am

Another take on freeze up solution is just plain big pan/pail/bucket of water to "sink" the cold from tank and into surrounding atmosphere...

Whole object is to keep tank warm enough for enough liquid to convert to gas so it can be drawn off to operate appliance...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby fpoole » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:36 am

..Another take on freeze up solution is just plain big pan/pail/bucket of water to "sink" the cold from tank and into surrounding atmosphere...

Yea, I tried that in the colder weather. Froze the bottom ring and an ice ring around the bottle. Have to keep pouring HOT water to keep it from freezing. Probably easier to just put the tank in the fire and that should keep it warm.. (Just jokig :twisted: of course... )
Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:13 am

What your propane bottle needs is it's own insulated, off the ground house. :thumbsup: or TD on wheels. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Next

Return to Camping Secrets