FREE CAD PROGRAM

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

Postby starleen2 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:52 am

bve wrote:
CaptainKram wrote:OK...having fun with the SketchUp program, but how do I get a design to Photobucket so I can get it here? :thinking: :oops:


File --> Export --> 2D Graphic... and choose JPEG Image, to get an image to upload to either Photobucket or your album here on the forum.


BTW - you can set the JPEG output quality and size during the export step under advanced settings - that way you don't have huge files that take forvever for someone on dial up to view (as a former dial up person - it sucks)- about 5 inches wide on a medium setting is pretty good.
User avatar
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club
 
Posts: 16249
Images: 48
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 8:26 pm
Location: Clinton, MA

Postby toypusher » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:58 am

starleen2 wrote:
bve wrote:
CaptainKram wrote:OK...having fun with the SketchUp program, but how do I get a design to Photobucket so I can get it here? :thinking: :oops:


File --> Export --> 2D Graphic... and choose JPEG Image, to get an image to upload to either Photobucket or your album here on the forum.


BTW - you can set the JPEG output quality and size during the export step under advanced settings - that way you don't have huge files that take forvever for someone on dial up to view (as a former dial up person - it sucks)- about 5 inches wide on a medium setting is pretty good.


800 x 600 and 72 or 96 dpi works about the best for posting here.
User avatar
toypusher
Site Admin
 
Posts: 42832
Images: 324
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: York, PA Area

Sketchup Addons

Postby jml79 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:10 am

I have found some incredible addons for sketchup such as pov-ray and indigo that are free and let you render photorealistic images of your designs, I will post a few of my first renders later when I get on my other pc.
jml79
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 30
Images: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:52 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Top

Postby CaptainKram » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:43 am

Good deal, thanks to you all for the tips. I'm getting better at it. :shock: :) :)

CK
"A woman drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her." ~W. C. Feilds
User avatar
CaptainKram
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 134
Images: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Top

Postby Ed K. » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:06 pm

IMSI, makers of TurboCAD, has a free CAD program available called DoubleCAD-XT. So far it's gotten good reviews.

Ed
User avatar
Ed K.
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 41
Images: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:27 pm
Location: Minnesota
Top

Postby Perttu » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:43 am

Hi
For 2d I use draftsight
http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/overview/

and 3d I use Alibre Design ( personal ) - not free, but really! worth of that 99 dollars.
http://www.alibre.com/

Perttu
Perttu
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:32 am
Top

Postby upnorth » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:25 pm

Perttu wrote:For 2d I use draftsight
http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/overview/
Perttu


Draftsight from SolidWorks is a free 2d CAD that works with linux, mac & windows. If you have used autocad, this will be familiar.
upnorth
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:24 pm
Location: Minnesota
Top

Re: FREE CAD PROGRAM

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:31 pm

I use Wings 3D. It is a Free program. It is a Solid modeler. You start with a shape like a Square or cylinder,
and manipulate it to the shape you need.

http://www.wings3d.com/


Image
User avatar
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1259
Images: 52
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:18 pm
Location: Wichita, KS
Top

Software by lease: Not free but high end stuff ?

Postby Westcliffe01 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Yesterday I discovered that in conjunction with Local motors https://forge.localmotors.com/pages/marketplace.php?p=design1#compare Siemens is offering their high end Solid edge package on a monthly lease basis for users willing to participate on the Local Motors "Forge" forum. Your ideas might just be the design of your trailer.

The cheapest package is "Design1" which is $19.95/month. If you add print making capability this takes it to $99/month. For working on a project this can be a lot cheaper than buying a cad package.
Westcliffe01
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:41 pm
Top

Re: FREE CAD PROGRAM

Postby SSTear » Thu May 12, 2016 2:27 pm

I used to work at Autodesk and I have a lot experience in Autocad through version 2017 and SketchUp through version 2016.

I use Autocad and SketchUp. Both have 30 day trials. So if your pretty fast with cad..... download the 30 day trial and draw away for 30 days. Should be enough time to complete your design. I know you can also use the 30 day trials for other Autodesk products as well like Map 3d and Civil3d which all include the std Autocad functionality. So now you'd have 90 days to design :)
User avatar
SSTear
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 24
Images: 34
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:56 am
Top

Re: FREE CAD PROGRAM

Postby OP827 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:19 pm

SSTear wrote:I used to work at Autodesk and I have a lot experience in Autocad through version 2017 and SketchUp through version 2016.

I use Autocad and SketchUp. Both have 30 day trials. So if your pretty fast with cad..... download the 30 day trial and draw away for 30 days. Should be enough time to complete your design. I know you can also use the 30 day trials for other Autodesk products as well like Map 3d and Civil3d which all include the std Autocad functionality. So now you'd have 90 days to design :)


Could you share your experience with sketchup as to how critical it is to have 2016 version in comparison with version 8, which is free. Is there anything that free version 8 cannot do to build a 3D model of a trailer that 2016 version can offer? Thanks!
My foldable foam trailer build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61344
OP827
Donating Member
 
Posts: 887
Images: 215
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:27 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada
Top

Previous

Return to CAD secrets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests